Search results

1. Jag768

A Message from a "Bass Head"

One of the problems is the misconception of roomgain: unlike cars, normal living rooms are just too big and too leaky for sereous LF extension (even in europe :P). What is thought of as room gain, is probably just standing waves. But those are typically high Q / narrow peaks, with dips in the...
  2. Jag768

Constant directivity speakers (DSP) for DIYers

Thank you for your reply. Im referring to the transition zone, say 200 - 700hz, rather than bass frequencies (modal zone). The question then is; does the spectral content of reflections matter in the transition zone as it does for >700hz.
  3. Jag768

As a big fan of his work, I'm very curious to know what @Floyd Toole thinks of using cardioid midbass, thereby extending the controlled directivity to the transition zone. The importance of smooth directivity for high frequencies (ie above transition zone) has been convincingly shown. I would...
  4. Jag768

No thank for the suggestion :). I know the resolution is low, and measuring close makes it also prone to variation in distance between mic and driver. Therefore I'm planning on doing the measurements outdoor in spring. For nearfield measurements at the slot, I just wouldn't know what information...
  5. Jag768

Im based in the Netherlands. For once it's the other way around :). Prices of audio gear in the US is generally way lower than here! But we have more vacation to work on DIY projects :P Mineral wool works just as good, only it tends to sag and it's less precise. I have tried nearfield. But not...
  6. Jag768

The picture, an old one of the city i live in, is a hidden absorber hiding 80mm high density rockwool. Moving the couch isn't really an option, it would block the passage to the kitchen.
  7. Jag768

The theory is quite simpel. When you place a speaker in a tube, you displace the front and back wave cancellation towards the rear. Only now you have introduced a resonance which affects the amplitude response of the backwave. Hence the damping which acts as low pass filter. The depth of the...
  8. Jag768

@hvbias The waveguide has an oblate spherical profile. You can find the project @diyaudio here.
  9. Jag768

Subwoofer / Low Frequency Optimization

So the absorption panels are 80mm thick? When placed against a whall, it will damp approx from 200Hz on up. So while this is helpful to reduce reverb, this won't help you with your low frequency response. In fact, using absorption for <100Hz is very hard to do, that's why almost nobody does it...
  10. Jag768

Subwoofer / Low Frequency Optimization

In your amplitude response graph, you set the scale at 20 dB/division, that seems a bit excessive :). What kind of room treatment did you apply? Handling standing waves in a listening room is a complex topic. In the end it boils down to getting the amplitude response as linear as possible...
  11. Jag768

I built my own, loosely based on the D&D 8C using a DIY waveguide (plaster) and a passive cardiod enclosure for midbass It's quasi cardioid to cover the whole spectrum from schroeder on up 2 way, filter is done by miniDSP (cdsp 6x8) The end result is pleasing and supplemented...
Top Bottom