Search results

1. R

Anyone Here Have an Emotiva PT1 Preamp?

I had the previous version for a short time. It was OK. The phono stage was no great shakes but the DAC worked well. If you use a turntable much you’d be better off with an outboard phono preamp. BTW Schiit has a solid state preamp but no phono stage in it. I ended up deciding I wanted a...
  2. R

News flash: First " new fundamental technology in audio since the 1970's"

I have a upper echelon Yamaha receiver. I also do some fooling around with DAW’s. Seems to me that Cinema DSP is a multi channel convolution reverb. More complex than a simple stereo reverb, but still a reverb. The ML patent seems to be describing something simpler. BTW, I kind of like...
  3. R

A turntable is a mechanical short duration reverb generator. If you’re trying to make a digital file sound more like LP playback, some judicious EQ and reverb might get close and make some folks think it’s pretty magical.
  4. R

It’s usually informative to look up the actual patents or patent applications instead of guessing and imagining. I did this looking to find out what is the MIT cable’s magic boxes. Try it. Here is the Daniel Hertz patent application. Basically EQ and a bit of reverb. The amp is doing a...
  5. R

SVS Ultra Evolution

Almost no one is doing science to make speakers. The best ones use engineering. Not the same thing. Science is a tool used in the quest of new knowledge. Engineering is using what we know from science to make things. I can’t think of a single scientific discovery in my 60+ years in the...
  6. R

Why people still use tube amps when there are plenty of tubes already used in the making of music

From a Rod Elliot article. An objectivist for sure and an experienced designer; ” The biggest problem is that no-one really knows what an amplifier will do when a reactive load reflects some of the power back into the amp's output. We can hope (without success) that the effects will be...
  7. R

Your hearing is not that good… Sorry, it’s just not

Been thinking about the whole subjectivist/objectivist debate. Since subjective listening is the what I do with my system, subjective reviews are worth reading. Of course, I pass them through my own belief filters. I pretty much ignore comments regarding magic cables. Anyone who has been...
  8. R

Why people still use tube amps when there are plenty of tubes already used in the making of music

I think this forum should be renamed. Science is a method of inquiry for seeking new knowledge. The prevailing attitude seems to be that everything that can be known about audio reproduction and psychoacoustics is already known. That isn’t science. It’s dogma. Maybe we should call it...
  9. R

And they do frequency response plots. Distortion tests are done into resistors.
  10. R

Word salad. Explain how you can reproduce the sound in a mastering studio without knowing anything about the conditions in said studio.
  11. R

Show the data. And not into a passive simulated speaker load, an actual speaker. I would much like to see 100db Sinad from an amp connected to a speaker.
  12. R

I don’t have the equipment and I didn’t feel like typing up a lengthy explanation. I asked in another thread why we didn’t measure amps while driving speakers and Amir said he tried it and didn’t know how to interpret the results. I wasn’t asking him to do something new, just say what he saw...
  13. R

Ask Amir what the analyzer reports when the amp is attached to a speaker.
  14. R

The way amps are most commonly tested is while connected to a resistive dummy load. While they are producing these amazing distortion numbers, they aren’t making a sound at all. The assumption is that the only thing that happens when you connect it to a speaker is frequency response...
  15. R

It’s not a misconception unless you think all rooms and all speakers sound alike. The mix and mastering engineers were adjusting to what sounded right to them, on their speakers, in their room. You‘re ability to recreate that sound exactly is more dependent on knowing what they were using and...
  16. R

To answer the original question: Audio is supposed to be enjoyable—fun. Instead of theorizing how people that use tube amps are ignorant, stupid, trying to impress, gullible, etc. Buy a used tube amp and try it. Sell it when you‘re done. You will have lost nothing and maybe you will hear...
  17. R

Then you better find out what monitors and/or amps the mix and mastering engineer used, what the room treatments where and what the room curves looked like.
  18. R

Better for you. There are many guitar players who insist that even the best solid state emulations of a tube amp still don’t sound exactly like a tube amp. Now they are listening for actual clipping distortions but still, your assertion that a VST plug in or SS channel strip will sound the...
  19. R

Is the entire audio industry a fraud?

Is it safe to say you didn’t buy them as a tool for mixing or mastering recordings?
  20. R

They were running a special on a set of KT120’s when you ordered an amp. Mine are on the way.
Top Bottom