Search results

1. T

digital streaming setup to passive speakers objective and inexpensive

Were I to do this again today, I would use the Wiim Pro+ (just released, $220) and get rid of the DAC. Costs less and solves the overdrive concerns. For the amp it looks like I should have gone with the OA200 because that is now widely sold and the A200 is hard to find. Although I haven't looked...
  2. T

video concerts - am I the only one?

You can listen to tiny desk directly on the NPR site rather than Youtube- I think it sounds a bit better. The NPR videos come from cloudfront (hosted on Amazon) so those should be videos posted by NPR with control over the sound quality. Some of the recent videos on their site have been posted...
  3. T

SMSL A300 + streamer quality compared to Sonos Amp.

It’s easy to just use the Wiim as the only volume control and the result is still quite good unless you need a huge range of volume. That’s basically what I do but occasionally make big jumps in the volume at the DAC if I am listening from another room or just rocking out.
  4. T

I now have Wiim pro -> SMSL D6 -> SMSL A200 Sounds phenomenal. Costs about $500 USD. The downside of the lack of integration is that I often end up doing digital volume control at the Wiim (Wiim app or the casting device) for convenience (which degrades the signal). the D6 has a remote that I...
  5. T

I now have Wiim pro -> SMSL D6 -> SMSL A200 Sounds phenomenal. Costs about $500 USD. The downside of the lack of integration is that I often end up doing digital volume control at the Wiim (Wiim app or the casting device) for convenience (which degrades the signal). the D6 has a remote that I...
  6. T

There are plenty of cheap transparent and low noise DACs reviewed here. Transparent meaning won't alter the sound. The Wiim is bit perfect for digital output (again, not altering of the sound) for sending to the DAC. So if you are willing to get a DAC, you should be able to just compare reviews...
  7. T

The Wiim Pro has Chromecast which can help with streaming possibilities. With your savings you could also buy a better DAC and even a second A300 to double your power in bridge mode. Sonos has a reputation of worse audio quality in comparison to an A300 with DAC sertup...
  8. T

Yeah I already have really great passive speakers. Don’t think I need a subwoofer with them either. Will be looking into active for other setups. It seems the problem with passive is there isn’t a great economical amp like the topping pa5. Right now I’m only wasting $50 on upgrading to a better...
  9. T

I didn't realize the Topping PA-5 was discontinued! I am substituting the SMSL DA-6, on sale for only $49, and incredible value. But not nearly as good of an amp so the benefit of a separate DAC may not be heard as well. I will look to upgrade the amp- I am not aware of where the next great deal...
  10. T

Too many volume knobs!! Help a noob out

> Set volume to max on the iPad and on the Magni 3 (its volume control potentiometer is terrible), and adjust your volume on the DAC. > Agree... however just remember to ensure the volume has not reset to max (default) on the DAC before turning on the hp amp. Seems inherently dangerous (there...
  11. T

Wiim Pro or Wiim Mini+Dac

Just want to say for those coming across this thread: the initial premise doesn't make a lot of sense. The DAC in both the mini & pro perform poorly. So either way a DAC is needed for a high fidelity setup. The biggest reason to get the Pro instead of the Mini is for ChromeCast and eventually...
  12. T

Starting with quality passive speakers, I am trying to put together a high fidelity, reliable, and inexpensive setup. It is focused on streaming in digital content on demand. Inexpensive = average component price is $250, spend < $1000. Reliability will be achieved mostly through composition-...
  13. T

overdrive protection for speakers from DAC, etc

Making the cheap RC-11 work is a compelling option, thanks for pointing to that review! Is there a non-Amazon source to buy it from? Amazon has co-mingled inventory with knock-offs. Probably doesn't affect the small audiophile market as much, but it's nice to not have to worry about it. Are...
  14. T

Schiit Gjallarhorn objective review

Newb here, thanks for the advice! I will probably pony up to the the Topping PA5 then. I have another thread about how to avoid destroying my speakers with it :)
  15. T

For those of us with high efficiency speakers and not trying to fill up a great hall a 10 watt amplifier is a good match that can help avoid accidental overdrive. So personally, I’m looking for an amplifier that has around this wattage or more and is a good value irrespective of the wattage.
  16. T

Schiit has some great reviews and some lackluster on this site, so it is hard to assume their products are a good buy without objective review. I know there are other options out there (still learning what they are), but I would like to support American made products when possible. The...
  17. T

Searching through the forums I saw a few more links to analog volume controls. This one selects between 3 inputs: https://www.amazon.com/Switch-Stereo-Switcher-Selector-Splitter/dp/B089FX2NRR/ This is a link to "Studio Monitor Controllers", lots of options here, they seem to be all XLR or jack...
  18. T

This seems like an elegant approach, but will limit DAC choices to those that you would like to use to control your system volume with. As stated here: Topping E50 is only $200 and has a remote control for volume
  19. T

This question has been asked on this forum before, but I haven't seen great answers to it yet in my searching There are several threads on this forum about people ruining speakers when the DAC got reset to 0dB- this seems an inherent danger of using a DAC. What is a straight solution to this...
Top Bottom