Search results

1. MattHooper

Stereophile and Audio Cables

I found it interesting that Stereophile recently published a short review of some audio cables - written by Herb Reichert. https://www.stereophile.com/content/gramophone-dreams-82-ikigai-kangai-level-cables-dcs-lina-headphone-amplifier Cable reviews at one point became very rare at Stereophile...
  2. MattHooper

Help Trouble Shooting Sound Delay on Sonos System...?

Hey folks, I'm trying to help out a non-audiophile pal. He's got an old Panasonic plasma TV with very limited connections. Below the TV he has a Sonos ZP 120: https://www.mislimited.co.uk/Uploads/1279112867_Sonos_Zoneplayer_120.pdf Which is powering a pair of KEF LS50 speakers. He wants...
  3. MattHooper

ASR MEMBERS: What System Would YOU Choose To Blow Away Non-Audiophiles?

Wasn't sure how to phrase the thread title but... I was re-visiting a couple ASR threads discussing some articles about audiophiles and high end audio. I'm sure many remember the discussions of this article: Audiophilia and its discontents...
  4. MattHooper

Suggestion For Amir Youtube Video - Testing Vibration Effects On Components!

As per the thread title: Vibration-damping products have really come to huge prominence in the audiophile community. It's not just Isoacoustics and their competitors in the speaker footer realm. It's everywhere. There are ever more products - footers, platforms, whole equipment racks - that...
  5. MattHooper

Monitor Audio MA3 Series II - Old School - ANYONE KNOW THESE SPEAKERS?

Monitor Audio MA3 Series II My father in law, an engineer and sort of old school audiophile, is emptying his home and so we'll be selling these speakers (probably!). He listens only to classical music, and bought these Monitor Audio speakers apparently in the 70's. Also uses a Harman Kardon...
  6. MattHooper

Stereophile Now Measuring Turntables....

I just noticed in the new VPI turntable review that Stereophile is doing measurements: https://www.stereophile.com/content/vpi-avenger-direct-turntable-12-fatboy-tonearm-measurements Perhaps they'd done some in previous reviews but I didn't notice. Good to see, though. (Others here will be...
  7. MattHooper

What's Left In Speaker Design To Reduce Distortion/Increase Detail Retrieval?

This question popped in to my mind simply from some recent experience listening to some speakers at another audiophile's place. I currently listen to some smaller floor standing speakers with good quality drivers (Joseph Audio Perspective 2 Graphene) and I find there to be a gob-smacking sense...
  8. MattHooper

Does Your System "Wow" or "Amaze" You? Looking to upgrade? Tell Us About It....

Denizens of ASR ! Measurements are fun 'n everything, but the ultimate reason we are all audiophiles is because we care about sound quality, and the experience of listening to music specifically. I know there is a "tell us what you have in your system" thread, but what I'm looking for is more...
  9. MattHooper

Have Slim Floorstanding Speakers "Had Their Day?"

Obviously there's a lot more nuance than is implied in my sort of click-baitish title (had to keep it short), but... The question was partially inspired by my listening to this podcast: Why BIGGER loudspeakers are BETTER...
  10. MattHooper

Does Anyone Else Enjoy The Sound From Their Smartphone Speakers?

Just wondering how odd I may be on this question. I've always been fascinated by portable audio, and have wished for better sound quality from phones for a long time. Even back when I had a Motorola Razr flip phone, which could play downloaded mp3s, it was neat to be able to just play a song...
  11. MattHooper

Audiophiles and "Synesthesia / Chromesthesia"

Synesthesia: https://www.livescience.com/61930-synesthesia-hear-colors-genes.html About 4 percent of the people on Earth experience a mysterious phenomenon called synesthesia: They hear a sound and automatically see a color; or, they read a certain word, and a specific hue enters their mind's...
  12. MattHooper

AUDIOPHILES: Are We Buying "THINGS" or "EXPERIENCES?"

A bit of a philosophical question I guess. There has been a burgeoning industry researching "happiness" and some of the findings have seeped in to the public sphere. Probably most recognizable is the finding that people tend to be most fulfilled by 'experiences' vs 'material possessions.'...
  13. MattHooper

Shunyata Factory Tour - and how do THESE claims hold up?

He folks, There is a new video (Absolute Sound) of a Shunyata factory tour: That video itself may not interest too many here, but in discussing this on another forum I was pointing out that, as far as I know, Shunyata has not provided any evidence of their product measurably/audibly...
  14. MattHooper

Do We Want All Speakers To Sound The Same ?

Do We Want All Speakers To Sound The Same? The thread title may seem a tad hyperbolic, and clearly there will be plenty of nuance involved in replying to such a question. The question arises first of all because I've seen some criticize Amir and ASR along these lines "That place is boring...
  15. MattHooper

Speaker Dispersion - Wider? Narrower? - Your Personal Preference?

Yes I know, a common subject, and there are all sorts of details and caveats involved when discussing the merits of wide vs narrow speaker dispersion. But I'm curious about people's personal preferences on this question. I was reading today about that famous old speaker, the JBL Paragon...
  16. MattHooper

"Low Capacitance" Cables?

Hey folks, I have to do a bit of re-cabling in my system so I want to ensure I end up with the appropriate cables. (I've always used a mish-mash of stuff, old interconnects like the Kimber PBJs I bought decades ago, cast offs from other audiophiles etc). I have the basic understanding (I...
  17. MattHooper

Why Do You Own Benchmark Products?

For Benchmark Owners: Why Did You Buy Benchmark Gear? I'm asking because clearly Benchmark is a highly regarded company here, and plenty of ASR members own Benchmark amplification/DACs. We know they are top of the heap in terms of measured performance, outdoing plenty of the competition...
  18. MattHooper

Article: Why It's STILL So Hard To Get Records Pressed

This is an informative article detailing all the current challenges of ramping up vinyl pressing to meet the still growing demand: https://www.billboard.com/pro/new-vinyl-record-pressing-factory-plants-demand/
  19. MattHooper

Walker's "Little Wonder" (Quad ESL 57) - Your Opinions/Experience?

Hey folks, I'm curious about your opinions on Peter Walker's ESLs - from the original ESL 57 to the Quad ESL 63. Not much needs to be said by way of introduction to those speakers. Quad's Peter Walker was known as a no-nonsense engineer, and the ESL 57 was, as I understand it, the first...
  20. MattHooper

Something A Bit Different: Optical Cartridge....

I figured this might be an interesting topic. I'm dimly aware that optical cartridges go way back, but nonetheless they are a pretty rare specimen. I was thinking about it because I just read my pal's review of the DS Audio cartridge. I know most here don't go in for those type of reviews...
Top Bottom