Search results

1. MattHooper

Bands you just didn't 'get' initially

Yeah it's pretty wild the amount of dancing and effort many pop starts have to put out these days. Just a crazy amount of choreography. (Unless you are a rapper, and then you just have to slouch and throw your hands around a bit). The ABBA women even say they are taken aback at the show many...
  2. MattHooper

Most beautiful speakers in the world ?

Jay gets some beautiful (if to your taste) new speakers in:
  3. MattHooper

The 67-year-old hearing test results! You need hearing aids.

I’m curious: do you find yourself ever aware of the hearing loss above 8K when listening to music or your system? Personally, I’m not cognizant of my hearing loss, which is likely above 13.5 K or so. High frequencies still strike me as “extended and airy”
  4. MattHooper

Bands you just didn't 'get' initially

Just realized there is a group that I hadn't appreciated at first, but do now to the point of becoming a huge fan: ABBA There is probably no more boring declaration on earth as to say "I'm a fan of ABBA." But.. They were in the background growing up, didn't pay much attention. Like many in...
  5. MattHooper

As someone with T and Hyperacusis, I live in fear of ever being prescribed ototoxic medications..as well as MRIs....
  6. MattHooper

It's been a little while since I had an official audiogram, so informally I've used a tone generator on my phone. I don't bother with headphones and since I have pretty bad tinnitus and can suffer hyperacusis, I'm very cautious about blasting a pure high frequency tone in to my ears. So even...
  7. MattHooper

I'm 60, still hear up to at least 13.5k. I have a high Q dip around 6k, but I don't sweat it.
  8. MattHooper

Can anyone explain the vinyl renaissance?

I don't see any problem here. You just have to lower your expectations a bit: (Warning: turn down volume): https://www.instagram.com/michaelridgeart/reel/C53y4k7iO7l/
  9. MattHooper

I agree that acknowledging vinyls shortcomings, accepting that there always be some involved, is a good approach. Otherwise one may be condemned to dissatisfaction. Though depending on what shortcomings you are thinking of, I may not agree they make the format. For instance, I'm not a fan of...
  10. MattHooper

Agreed. A local audio store sells both B&W and KEF lines, including high end models from both. To me the KEF, e.g. the Reference models, look like basically nicely designed and contemporary. But also a bit "off the shelf" or factory cookie cutter in quality. Next to them, the B&W finish...
  11. MattHooper

I've seen that Acora speaker the rounds, from Axpona. Admittedly: a little bit cool. However I don't like speakers made of granite. To me they look cheesy and I can't help but be reminded of kitchen or bathroom counter-tops.
  12. MattHooper

My son 25, is an engineering student. A few days ago after we'd discussed the laser-read turntable on this thread, I tested his thinking on this. I pointed to my turntable (he doesn't play records) and refreshed him on how it works, and the general issues a cartridge and arm have to deal with...
  13. MattHooper

Audio Note speakers

And yet: Audio Note's designs and pricing structure are built upon some of the very premises that deserve this skepticism, with their emphasis on the relevance of different wires, caps etc.
  14. MattHooper

Audio Note speakers

That makes as good a case as anything for the relevance of science and engineering. All of that reasoning seems as intuition-based as one might find in an alternative medicine forum. It's asking a whole bunch of questions that are generally already answered, and going off on a goose chase...
  15. MattHooper

Extreme Snake Oil

Proprietor of well-known cable company says he got the idea for his company while popping mushrooms and reading Machiavelli:
  16. MattHooper

Legal fund for Reviewers/Erin?

I'm used to taking the flack for defending ASR and Amir on many of the more subjective sites. Lotta moronic replies like "Another ASR cult member defending his priest..." But it's worth it because it does also brings out folks, some of them who may not post as much, who chime in that they...
  17. MattHooper

Audio Note speakers

Which I much preferred to the Audio Note speakers (I auditioned the Devore around the same time as auditioning Audio Note and many other speakers). Doesn't say anything more than personal taste, though.
  18. MattHooper

Audio Note speakers

Whoah! Nothing wrong with being an enthusiast. But Richard Austen‘s appearance here to write his usual extended defences of Audio Note makes me feel like I’m back on the Steve Hoffman forum! I’m disoriented. ‍ .
  19. MattHooper

Electrostatic speakers?

I've mentioned before that though I loved the Quads I grew dissatisfied with the lack of density and "punch" to their sound, and that even smaller stand mounted speakers I'd try seemed more dense and punchy. I got the Gradient dipole subs made specifically for the 63s (which made for a...
  20. MattHooper

New Magico M7 speakers

My buddy is going to be hearing the Vivid Audio Moya M1 in Munich. I'm looking forward to what he reports.
Top Bottom