Search results

1. H

Genelec S360 Review (Studio Monitor)

Again, room-treatment is the solution--if one wants to get a good sound. It's not science, merely my empirical findings, but the Genelec mains are better sounding than the coax in a well treated room. Not so when the room is untreated.
  2. H

New mysterious Genelec monitors

Depends on your room size, SPL requirements, listening distance, and if you enjoy the sound of the "Ones" to begin with...
  3. H

New mysterious Genelec monitors

I reported on this thread that Genelec performed a blind test, in which the two monitors systems were placed behind a screen in the same room. Without fail, all the listeners picked the 8381 as their favorite sound.
  4. H

Too much to go over, and I don't think it will penetrate. Feel free to ignore my comments, because that's exactly what I'm going to do with yours.
  5. H

Excellent. Acoustic treatment is the way to go. Once you've treated the back wall, the absorbers on the front wall will be less crucial, as they now deal with the secondary reflections from the back wall. At that point, bass traps along that wall will be more important. Regarding auditioning...
  6. H

A classic case of a person who's absolutely certain 2 simple graphs describe a speaker to its finest timbre. Ignorance is a bliss. "Why would anyone be interested in deciphering why some random person thinks A is better than B?" If you're not interested, don't reply -- as simple as that...
  7. H

None of above. Euphonic means 'pleasing to the ear.' From Greek euphōnia, ‘well sounding.’
  8. H

The measurements don’t lie, but the two charts that people use to evaluate loudspeakers here do not give the full picture. I know, it would’ve been lovely to measure directivity and frequency response, and rank products accordingly—which is done here quite often and erroneously. Speakers have a...
  9. H

Frequency response and directivity tell only a part of the story. For one, they don't capture the sound characteristics of a loudspeaker. For example, People keep pointing out the subjective issues with the "Ones", but are unable to support it through the charts. The reason is simple: those...
  10. H

Sorry, a fallacy. If the "Ones" sounded as amazing as they measure, my mind wouldn't have to resort to "Subconscious expectation bias." If at all, it is your mind that is biased by the impressive charts and refuses to accept the questionable sound. BTW, some professionals swear by their...
  11. H

Maybe so, but the Genelec mains still sound fantastic. Those Genelec engineers of yore knew exactly how to get things right. To my hears--and I'm not alone in this--the "Ones" sound just mah; choked, metallic with an unpleasant resonance from the slitted woofers. Sure, the directivity and...
  12. H

PS Audio sent Erin their speaker??!!

That's super helpful. Thanks!
  13. H

I wrote in my original post the monitor in question was a Genelec main, not a "typical studio monitor." Take for example the 1238A. It's height is 81cm and the vertical acoustic axis is 65cm. If the ear level in the seating position is 81m, then the monitor stand height should be 16cm. That's...
  14. H

Thanks for your concern, but didn't I write that the speakers would be on the floor. A 16cm tall stand, if I place them vertically; 53cm stand for horizontal placement.
  15. H

Pleas educate me. Genelec advises to raise their monitors from the floor: "Monitors should always be aimed towards the listening position. The higher the monitor is from the floor, the lower is the reflection induced frequency response irregularities. However, half room height placement should...
  16. H

Genelec 8361A in a distance of 3,5m/11,5ft or something else?

The 1238 is a sound upgrade to the 8361. Many people here are addicted to charts and misjudge the Genelec mains. For recreation, nothing beats them. The sound is simply luscious. The "Ones" are way less enjoyably. I you really have to audition them to realize how great they are.
  17. H

OMA K3 $360K TURNTABLE

Being derived from anti ballistic missile defense systems, you must get one. You can conveniently place it on your roof and intercept Hamas incoming rockets.
  18. H

Genelec Home Theater on Digital

There's no AES over RJ45. That's Dante. The interface is either distinc xlr cables to each Genelec speaker or a pair of speakers in a daisychain fashion--or a d25 splitter. Do you have an image of the back of the AES product? I can find only the analog one. Know that if it's music that is on...
  19. H

BTW, if you intend to use the system mainly for movies, you can skip the W371 for the center and mount the 8361 above the TV. The center monitor is primarily for dialogs and its bass output is marginal. For that matter, you could use a 8351 as center as well. Your surround speakers can benefit...
  20. H

AES sounds a bit better than analog from my experience. (No, I don't want to argue about it). More importantly, if you have the room, get a 7382 instead of 7380 x 2. It's the same budget, but the former is much more powerful and a better match to the spl output of your planned mains. 2 subs...
Top Bottom