Search results

1. O

How to EQ this monstrosity?

Without listening to the speakers, it hard to say if that's the actually response for the edifiers. Microphone placement in relation to the tweeters can change results dramatically. If the microphone isn't exactly equidistant from both, it can cause strange responses. Since we're more sensitive...
  2. O

DSP from scratch, Android tablet + Edifier MR4's first?

I think there is some merit to this approach from a learning standpoint, but there are some obvious issues you may run into later on when you decide to move on from the edifiers. The treatments you place may work for one set of speakers, but not for another, as their dispersion patterns are...
  3. O

My first measurements. How do I rate?

Unfortunately, that has little to do with the speakers and more to do with how we perceive different frequencies. The lower and higher frequencies we don't hear them as well at lower volumes, but will as the volume approaches 80ish dB. So, at lower volumes, they need to be boosted to be heard as...
  4. O

How effective would heavy ceiling treatment work here?

I've never tried just treating the ceiling and not any other surfaces. I feel it would cause more problems than it would solve, since the absorption would be very uneven. I maybe wrong. Over the summer, I'm going to redo my office and I'll be interested in posting the results for the panels as I...
  5. O

Are these measurements good? - Focal Chora 826

If you don't have a subwoofer, you may want to consider one. It could help smooth out the low end substantially. You may want to experiment with a different listening position. Sometimes, even just moving it a foot one way or another can have dramatic results; same goes for speaker/listener...
  6. O

My first measurements. How do I rate?

You may want to pull down from 100hz to 300hz to be more inline with the rest of the response. You can leave the bass elevated (to taste). Higher if you listen at lower volume. Should clean up any wind tunnel sounds.
  7. O

does anyone enjoy flat sound from audio speakers?

They want a flat response not because it sounds good, but because then it can be manipulated much easier and exactly how they want it to sound. Least that's my take on it.
  8. O

Corner Trap Nonsense

Right, I get that. But most people are putting standard rockwool in the corner, not a trap that will actually work correctly for the application.
  9. O

Keep bass traps or send them back (with measurements)? Your advice needed!

How many traps did you buy? People underestimate how many are actually required to make a noticeable difference. I have over 20 panels and 8 "corner" traps that are 18" deep and I still could use more to really get things going.
  10. O

Corner Trap Nonsense

Corners are typically free space for most people, so I think that's where people started to get the idea from. I'm a fan of placing large baffle traps where the walls and ceiling meet. Again, it's free space that most people don't use. Looks good and serves a function. To me, tri corner traps...
  11. O

Addressing mid-bass null by adding sealed sub to existing ported sub

Yeah. You could do that. I use a second sub for exactly that reason.
  12. O

DIY Room Treatment Panels - Faced or Plain fiberglass boards?

I'd say the cloud is probably one of the best investments a person can get. I treated the vast majority of my ceiling plus the baffles. It's free space. Plus the floor rarely gets any treatment, so it does help to make up for it.
  13. O

Two subwoofers with a single, fixed listening position

The second sub can help cancel some reflections and modal issues. I use 2 and get better response than with just one. The key is to experiment with placement, because you probably don't want it in the same acoustic zone as the first.
  14. O

Difference in measurements between left and right speakers (newbie)

You'll get differences between the channels normally, unless everything is completely symmetrical, which it rarely is. I'd try PEQ filters with 1/6, 1/12 and 1/24 smoothing for the bass and see which ones you like the best. My guess is 1/6 will be fine. Below about 80hz will be hard to localize...
  15. O

What is causing my HF roll off?

Are your measurements fixed point or is this moving method? Initial glace, to me, would indicate that the tweeters aren't lined up with the mic and/or the speakers are not completely equidistant from the fixed point.
  16. O

HELP please... L shaped room Bass Questions!

Yeah, it will work regardless. That's the point of it all though, is to see how everything measures. Odd rooms will probably require multiple subs to get this evened out properly. You may want to dust off the old subs. 3 of them, even mismatched in size and power could be beneficial. I use 2...
  17. O

Speaker placement when the "recommended ideal" isn't an option?

The closer you are to the speakers, the more direct sound you'll hear. Smaller speakers, I'd probably put them on stands and try to get the imaging correct. You really want the tweeters to be as close to ear level as possible.
  18. O

Decrease Room Reflections in a Hexagon Room

Try the desk caddy cornered in the bottom right. Will give you symmetry and will cause reflections to bounce past listening position. If you have a sub, then I'd place the sub halfway along one of the 2 walls nearest the desk. If no sub, then corner loading won't be an issue.
  19. O

Back Wall Treatment for Home Theater

I have 16 6", 2'x4' panels in my room and 8 18" deep bass traps. Still the room has some minor issues. 4 panels will be a starting point but its not going to provide the sort of results you're looking for.
  20. O

Cross at 60 vs Cross at 100

You want the one with the least variances. To my eyes, the blue line, crossed at 80hz, is the best. You can either turn up the sub or use a shelf filter to increase the bass or lower the treble. The only time I would cross over higher than maybe 100hz is if there is some sort of weird modal...
Top Bottom