Search results

1. N

Can anyone explain the vinyl renaissance?

This is a very strange and funny place on the Internet. Something like a sect of eye-openers to all the untruths of audio. The forum rules only worsen this impression - I tried to close my account and delete everything I "tweeted" (without any possible analogies with the semi-dead now Twitter)...
  2. N

Can anyone explain the VU Meter renaissance?

https://www.aes.org/aeshc/pdf/mcknight_qa-on-the-svi-6.pdf VU meters never disappeared anywhere and therefore there is no renaissance. But in most cases of non-professional use of audio equipment, VU meter is the most ideally useless component. Especially when the audio path is digital almost...
  3. N

Can anyone explain the VU Meter renaissance?

It's not a renaissance but a cargo-cult. Because high-class equipment often uses VU meters, using a VU meter gives the feeling of high-class equipment. Kind of cheap satisfaction of vanity.
  4. N

Why the dislike of external power supplies?

Because if your amplifier is really good it should be really fast and produce big currents in transients because the musical signal is not a single pure sinusoidal and a load (loudspeaker) is far away from a pure resistive. If you need something fast with big current spikes at output it's always...
  5. N

Amir's 2023 Pacific Audio Fest Report Continued

Wow, in this despondency there is still room for bright ideas. PureAudioProject is really cool. "Configurable open baffle speaker" is a kind of a really bright idea. Very good.
  6. N

Is there easy way to measure speaker impedance

The audio market is too small for R&S, this is a segment where a few specialized companies will remain, simply because there are enough of them in this segment. I think so.
  7. N

I'm not even going to argue here. It's just that in my practice I'm used to understanding well why measurements are taken and what exactly is measured, because these determine the method of measurement. In the case of "impedance measurements" (to be precise, we are talking about impedance...
  8. N

By the way, there are almost all of the above units except for the: shunt voltage drop amplifier is avoided and a shunt with the too big resistance is used instead (simply because such the instrumentation amplifier is far from trivial here, especially when it comes to a wide range of amplifier...
  9. N

There are probably miracles in this world, but if they happened, then such a good company as Audio Precision would have gone bankrupt long ago. But this doesn’t happen to them for some reason I don’t understand, especially considering the specifics of their equipment and the very small market...
  10. N

I'll be honest with you, I don't know. But here's what I know as a longtime non-audio electronics designer: Measuring of impedances is the classic "hard" problem in electronics, it was, it is, and it always will be. You need two good fast synchronous measurement ADCs to measure both current...
  11. N

Cheap DAC chips

You are absolutely right. It is necessary to increase in every possible way the already highest scientific level.
  12. N

Cheap DAC chips

I forgot one "terrible secret". I'm sorry. Any really good designed DAC based on the high quality DAC IC or chipset is required to have galvanically isolated USB input. Will it improve the sound? In general, no. Will this avoid power problems, such as noise on the ground plane due to return...
  13. N

Cheap DAC chips

"they're mostly designed to be cheap and based on DAC chip reference designs" Are you saying that external DACs are not made based on reference designs of DAC chips? I'm very interested.
  14. N

Cheap DAC chips

Raspi is a good small machine but it never was designed for audio applications. It has a lot of issues with the powering (historically), the power subsystem (if it can be called a subsystem at all) has always worked to the limit, PCB was traced for non-audio specific requirements (only God knows...
  15. N

TOPPING E30II Lite Next Tuesday!

Well, here we will find out how the lineups are formed in this new beautiful world. If you change the DAC, it will be a different model. You can just leave one DAC in its normal stereo mode, but in this case, you need to somehow show those who bought the version with two DACs in mono mode that...
  16. N

If "Tube Sound" Is a Myth, Why Tubes?

"Tube sound" term is based on some historical-engineering facts. But first you need to understand what is meant by this term. And here we have the bad news because there is no common understanding of the term. For example, I understand the term "tube sound" as the familiar (to me) sound of a...
  17. N

Fosi Audio V3 Amplifier Review

It's unbelievable but it's true: https://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tpa3255.pdf?ts=1687623512236&ref_url=https%253A%252F%252Fwww.ti.com%252Fproduct%252FTPA3255 And all measurements are in the datasheet and it is difficult to say what else can be measured. Well, OK, measurements of different...
  18. N

Fosi Audio V3 Amplifier Review

They are all exactly the same because this chip is a functionally complete amplifier. You can use input buffers in a circuit with it, you can not use it because the input impedance (20K) and maximum input voltage (7V) are de facto standard because TI is very good at designing microcircuits and...
  19. N

Can RPi4 based player benefit sonically with an improved PSU??

That is, someone seriously powered the entire raspberry from different sources, while a little confused the battery with a power bank, and science received new invaluable data. Well, it happens.
Top Bottom