Search results

1. T

Correcting Cartridge Freq Response

The navy blue trace is the best. It pushes that high freq peak as high as it can go with this setup, which means it's less audible. Unless you can hear out to 18-19kHz. :) Btw, I consider this quite good. +/- 2.5 dB, 10 Hz to 20kHz.
  2. T

Pink noise works, I don't know why you think it doesn't. This is from my Sony PS-X600/Shure V15 Type V-MR/U Turn Pluto 2. I plotted vs *additional* capacitance added by the DB Systems capacitance kit. You can see the high freq peak shift lower as capacitance is added. This is unsmoothed data...
  3. T

This is exactly how I do it. I can see changes with capacitance, different cartridges, etc. Very neat and useful. I got a very nice used SL1200mk2 many years ago. FInally got it hooked into my system. Figured out very quickly, that it had crap (i.e., high capacitance) 3rd party interconnect...
  4. T

Best sounding full-size closed-back...

Can you use felt (like the M40x) or a few ply of toilet paper to tame the treble?
  5. T

I actually have thought about this a little, in that I'm an engineer, and it's curious to me that I don't like headphones that I think I should like. :) ... And the K553 Pros are even further away from the Mezes, yet I like them too. I think for me, there is a bandwidth of freq response that I...
  6. T

Good thread. I've been trying a few closed backs recently. I had the K371s, and I was surprised I didn't like them at all. (The K612 Pro is one of my favorite open cans, but I can't use them where I work now!) I have the K553 Pro's, which I do like, but they could use a hair more low end. I...
  7. T

Woo Audio WA7 & WA7tp DAC and Headphone Amp Review

Ok ... Remind me *not* to subscribe to any blog of yours, where you subjectively review audio gear. :) I've actually known of Amir and his work for a long time. Back to the old HD DVD vs Blu-ray format war. (Yes, there was a competing high def format to Blu-ray, a long time ago.) If any...
  8. T

Surge and o2so - did you even *read* this part of the review? Listening Tests Seems to me, the. WA7 doesn't measure well, and it doesn't sound good either. Read Amir's Schiit Valhalla 2 review. Fares much better than this. [And I have both of these, btw.]
  9. T

Measurements of (original) Gilmore Lite

Thanks for posting that. I'm curious about the current version too. Very nice results.
  10. T

Review and Measurements of Neurochrome HP-1 High-Performance Amp

Hi. Tom - I like the 2nd version too. :) Have you tried not all caps for the text below, to see how that would look?
  11. T

Review and Measurements of Schiit Valhalla 2 Headphone Amp

Yes! Finally, a tube amp that doesn't totally suck. ;) I have one, and I can live with these measurements, whereas I couldn't live with the Woo Audio Fireflies WA7 measurements. I'm also glad that when Schiit improves a product, there actually is some quantifiable improvement. Now, I can...
  12. T

Dual AK4497 AK4497EQ DAC on sale on ebay

No specs or any kind of measurements listed for either one of those. Ask them for specs. ;) I'm a sucker for good looking components. I found this guy: https://www.ebay.com/itm/HiFi-Stereo-Headphone-Amplifier-Split-Design-of-Power-and-Amp-Inspired-by-Naim/273260475500 I asked about power...
  13. T

Review and Measurements of Audio-gd NFB2 192 DAC

I have been trying to figure out where to put the following, it could go in its review thread, but this post echoes my thoughts/experience too. I have a Woo Audio WA7, Fireflies. I've like how it looks, and I've liked how it sounded, until Amir reviewed it. :oops: I have a few different...
  14. T

Review and Measurements of Teac HA-501 Headphone Amp

Brand new, and sold by Amazon themselves, not a 3rd party:
  15. T

You know you're a nerd, when you see a picture like that and think: sexy. :D
  16. T

Ahhh, yes. But maybe it's predominantly even order harmonics? ;)
  17. T

Glanced at this yesterday (sometimes I just jump to Amir's Listening Tests and Conclusions), but today I read it. That's disappointing. The frequency response is rolled off, but because of the distortion added, it actually brightens the source. I have an early version like this one, and I've...
  18. T

$500 amplifiers to test and review?

Just read the Woo Audio WA7 review. At least I'm a consistent sucker for good looks, yes I have one. :) (I've used it with the orginal ODAC and now the Topping D30, never with its own internal DAC, it being a rev 1 unit. The WA7 on top of the D30 makes for a *very* nice looking, and nice...
  19. T

$500 amplifiers to test and review?

I'd be curious to see this one tested: https://www.nvahifi.co.uk/ap10h-headphone-amplifier I'm a sucker for good looks. But there are no specs except for the case dimension. Supposedly the headphone jack was originally meant for high impedance cans, but if you tell them you want it to drive...
  20. T

Lucky guy. :) Hi Tom - I'm reminded of an interview once I read with Andrew Jones, once of Pioneer, now working for Elac. He said it's easy to design a state of the art, cost is no object speaker. He said you just put in the best of everything. He said, the *real* challenge, is to design...
Top Bottom