Search results

1. nugget

macOS vs. Windows vs. Linux

I'm pretty sure @Axo1989 was referring to the poll at the top of this thread (closer to home) where macOS leads Windows.
  2. nugget

November 20th was the 38th anniversary of TOS 1.0
  3. nugget

Dude, let it go. You’re clinging to a 20 year old fan-favorite argument from the Usenet era. The point you are so stubbornly and acrimoniously defending is even less applicable to modern computing as the old RISC vs CISC arguments. All you are doing here is defending a trademark and you’re...
  4. nugget

I've been using Unix (Xenix, SunOS, Solaris, 386BSD, AIX, FreeBSD, and OpenBSD) since before Linux existed and I agree. These days It's all "Unix" but it's not all "UNIX®" and as long as it's POSIX you almost certainly have no reason to care. I've installed Linux from floppy disks. These days...
  5. nugget

Apple doesn't charge for the OS like Microsoft does so they have to recoup their development costs in other ways. They push hard on services revenue and price their hardware in a way that allows them to fund their software development costs. It's a different business model and some consumers...
  6. nugget

macOS is a registered product as UNIX 03 and has been UNIX® since the beginning of MacOS X. Not that this has any real practical implications, but it is UNIX according to the Open Group. https://www.opengroup.org/openbrand/register/brand3700.htm
  7. nugget

Today is exactly 40th anniversary of CD in EU/US. Is that a reason to celebrate? How many have you collected? And how do you store your treasures?

I'm not sure why you keep bringing up media ownership. It is unrelated to the topic of discovering new music, which was the conversation you joined. The very notion of a "rare CD" doesn't exist in the realm of 1s and 0s, which is in part why I feel that the Internet is a much more useful...
  8. nugget

Today is exactly 40th anniversary of CD in EU/US. Is that a reason to celebrate? How many have you collected? And how do you store your treasures?

I disagree. I think the Internet is perfectly capable of approximating the discovery process of a brick and mortar store. In the context of rare or back catalog content, the Internet is clearly superior to any venue which has to contend with limited physical space or regional availability...
  9. nugget

Sure, but that's a different topic completely. I was just talking about discovering new music similar to how one used to in physical record stores. I feel like the streaming services -- especially when viewed through the lens of Roon's UI -- does a very good job at that task.
  10. nugget

Boxes in my guest bedroom closet. I ripped them all to lossless files on my NAS years ago. I've been buying CDs since 1984.
  11. nugget

Serious Question: How can DAC's have a SOUND SIGNATURE if they measure as transparent? Are that many confused?

While we're in a lull and also discussing misinformation, Bill Gates never said the oft-repeated quote about 640K: "I've said some stupid things and some wrong things, but not that. No one involved in computers would ever say that a certain amount of memory is enough for all time. Meanwhile, I...
  12. nugget

UpTone Audio EtherREGEN Switch Review

You think? What do you bet it's still there, they just didn't poke a hole through to it.
  13. nugget

KIMBER KABLE: Do High-end USB Cables Make A Difference?

Why would you care about the range of a USB cable unless you wanted to put your DAC five meters away from your PC? The downside of USB3 was stated as "lower range." (3 meters vs 5 meters)
  14. nugget

KIMBER KABLE: Do High-end USB Cables Make A Difference?

Why would this matter at all unless you wanted to put your DAC five meters away from your PC?
  15. nugget

Using large studio monitors as a primary listening system

I really like the smaller AudioEngine A2+, they punch way above their weight. I was less impressed with the A5+. They're solid speakers, but not "great" once you account for the price and size of them. I've got both and I use the A2+ on my main desk setup and the A5+ are on my Windows box...
  16. nugget

Please explain what I need to make Roon work...

No, the interactive UI is only available on macOS and Windows (and Roon Remote on mobile iOS/Android). Linux can run the back-end Roon Server (sometimes they call it the "core") but not the front-end. You can run the Roon Server on Linux and then control it from a phone or tablet. You could...
  17. nugget

Serious Question: How can DAC's have a SOUND SIGNATURE if they measure as transparent? Are that many confused?

If the facts were on your side it would be so easy to win this argument. Wouldn't it have been fun if you had been able to do that instead of just calling people names and deflecting? How tragic for your position that this was the only direction you could go with it.
Top Bottom