Search results

1. N

Audio & Video Systems Automation

I use smartthings with my harmony hub to control everything. I.e. when I turn my turntable on it switches on my phono preamp, switches my avr to the proper input and changes my sub settings. When I launch roon on my tablet it turns on my system and switches to the proper inputs. I have...
  2. N

Let's talk CD Players!

I gave up on my two "good" 90s sonys as they both stopped loading. I replaced the belts once on each but the second time I just replaced them with a Blu-ray that has a separate audio optical out that I run thru a dac. I play about one cd a year at this point so it's overkill but it puts my mind...
  3. N

First world problem solved

I think I'll make myself one. It actually sounds handy. Not $80 handy but $6 at Lowe's handy.
  4. N

<$1k integrated amp w/o digital.. suggestions?

I would pick an avr that has the options you want and offers a direct pre out on the main channels and then use whatever amp you want. The digital ins/processing can be handy for everyday usage but can be bypassed for "serious" listening. Having one unit that controls.my main listening...
  5. N

Review and Measurements of xDuoo TA-10 Tube DAC & HP Amp

I have no pressing need for this in any way, but have an itch to buy one ;) Nice looking product with some real usable versatility. And obviously some smart folks on the the design and implementation end. Maybe I should dust off my old Denon semiautomatic and set up a vinyl>headphone...
  6. N

Foobar or JRiver

Used foobar for a very long time (still do for abx and tagging etc) but it failed to keep up with the times. Roon has reawakened my love of music.
  7. N

Spatial averaging of measurements for room EQ

I use a laser measurer on my stand pointing at the listening position to line up the mic positions. I found it much easier and more accurate then trying to take measurements in the listening position. especially if you have cushions ;)
  8. N

The $700 Amp/Speakers Challenge

Elac ub5s arent too hard to drive (much less so than my kef 350s.) $349 Lots of used options in the $351 (lol) range if all you want is 2.0 or 2.1 I have a 20 year old hk receiver driving them in my workshop at the moment. Plenty of power for a smallish room.
  9. N

Review of the KEF R3s

https://thenextweb.com/plugged/2019/06/21/kef-r3-review-exemplary-speakers-that-do-almost-everything-right/
  10. N

Review and Measurements of Sony STR-ZA1100ES AVR

Food for thought. I never thought about the room eq being done in the digital realm. I currently use an external DAC>analog in to my AVR(marantz)>built in Room correction (Audyssey)>analog out to amp. In this scenario is the signal going from D>A>D for room eq>A ? Wonder what the difference...
  11. N

Interesting article on honest power ratings.

I thought the article was interesting in how it broke down the different ways the amps were rated; a nice reference. Didn't think much about the idea of pushing thru honesty in advertising lol. I remember way back when the biggest issue wasn't convoluted specs but just downright making up...
  12. N

Interesting article on honest power ratings.

https://www.audioholics.com/audio-amplifier/sound-united-receiver-power-ratings
  13. N

KEF blog post on cables

https://www.kefdirect.com/blog/an-audio-cable-deep-dive Hadn't seen this one before.
  14. N

Cheap way to increase gain for a line level signal?

Seems odd that if everything is working correctly, even in a very budget system, that this problem would exist. Is there a level control on the receiver that has somehow been turned way down? are there crossover settings on one or the other that can be set? is there anyway you can test the sub...
  15. N

Is my amplifier likely to be transparent? Pioneer VSX-AX4avi.

My guess would be that some more clean power would help in driving those speakers. I had a similarly speced onkyo (686) that had issues driving my elac and/or KEF bookshelves. Upgraded the power and the speakers started to sing. Chased a lot of other parts before figuring it out. I may be wrong...
  16. N

High Resolution Audio: Does It Matter?

Or they could just end the loudness wars. There were very "good" reasons to start them, but I.m not sure those reasons still exist. (really, I'm not sure lol) The mass market equipment of the time made the compressed music "pop", but does that really hold true today? With streaming the go to...
  17. N

Review and Measurements of Pioneer VSX-LX303 AVR

Just my experience: I bought an onkyo 686 a couple years ago to add surround to our living room. It was just fine for 5.2.2 but fell flat on its face when I tried to drive some new speakers (KEF Q350) in 2.1 mode. I actually was on the fence if the speakers were defective until I hooked them to...
  18. N

Advice on new headphone amp + speaker amp + dac

If you are not opposed to separates, there are a bunch of low price options for DACs, that according to "the Boss" ;) should be transparent so you can pick and choose what function you want (inputs/outputs/formats etc) and that will solve half your query pretty simply. depending on what features...
  19. N

Should I upgrade my AVR?

Just my experience, I upgraded from an Onkyo 686 to a marantz 712/713 (which is pretty close in family to the 3300 I believe) and the two big differences were (1) upgraded Audyssey app was miles ahead and being able to edit the curves means hours of driving my wife crazy lol. It is easily the...
  20. N

troubleshooting - new AVR Noisy when changing volume

I just picked up a Marantz 7012 and I get a very noticeable digital noise out of the speakers when turning the volume up/down. Can't seem to find anything on google (keywords volume/noise/speakers keeps sending me to noisy pots discussions lol) doesn't seem better/worse regardless of...
Top Bottom