Search results

1. D

Do I need to clean my LP's?

A decent effort to clean records is as big a vinyl upgrade as any other. I never sold my LPs and actually inherited a lot from my brother and more still from a colleague. So when I got back into it I decided to clean them and started with a VPI 16.5, which was very effective but noisy. If it...
  2. D

Cables, Interconnects and Nonsense

Didn't know he was a member here. My experience is that they do not. My electronics use goodness knows what kind of wire, and maybe some PCBs with thin traces connecting components. Given that is an interconnect going to reverse any harm done to a fragile signal? And my ear, the only one left...
  3. D

Cables, Interconnects and Nonsense

I see there is another thread at SHF about interconnects. Many posters talk about how civilized it is, though it seems that four members have been banned and many posts deleted. The boss posted about that. And along comes the boss, and says: Would it not be nice if people not only engaged their...
  4. D

Furutech NCF Clear Line Review (AC Optimizer)

Maybe I'm a 'non-U' person? Apologies to Nancy Mitford. One cannot correct a typo after a short while if unnoticed. Even so, I'd rather make a typo than buy a device with no possible mode of action from someone with a criminal record of scamming audiophiles...
  5. D

Is a streamer / DAP really less noisy than a traditional computer? And we can hear that?

I have recently swapped out my tuner (a Quad FM4) and connected an old MacBook Pro which is always on and acts as a server for an array of disks with movies and photos on them. It and the connected disks, and three printers live some distance from my pre-amp, so a wired connection won't work...
  6. D

Agitator, I'm surprised you got banned and I didn't. My comparison with the empty Macintosh box might have been a bit close to the bone for SH, unless he is no longer such a fan of all things Macintosh. If you like pointing out silliness, the Pron filter has a thread at Audiogon (here) that is...
  7. D

And back to the Furutech NCF, it seems Steve doesn't like open criticism of the snake oil: https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/furutech-ncf-clear-line-ac-conditioner.1108097/page-72#post-31621513 What a shame.
  8. D

I don't care about stereo imaging - am I alone. (Poll)

Let's not "theorise in advance of the evidence" as a smart fellah once said. I remembered that my Quad 34/FM4/306 all came with truly skinny little short cables designed to fold up inside the rack for those components, and that was in the days when Quad devices were built in Huntingdon rather...
  9. D

I don't care about stereo imaging - am I alone. (Poll)

In the early 1960s there was a brief fad for treating otitis media with a single IM shot of streptomycin, which certainly worked for the earache, but it was soon noticed that kids were going deaf, or if very unlucky, deaf and dizzy (streptomycin is toxic to the eighth cranial nerve). So I have...
  10. D

MM vs MI vs MC

I'm sure it would, but I don't have a test record and am python-challenged!
  11. D

MM vs MI vs MC

Like a moth to a flame, I'm drawn to threads about MI cartridges. My first was a London Decca Jubilee, and I liked it so well I bought a Reference a couple of weeks later. I lived in total happiness with it mounted on a Series V arm on an SME 10 for about eleven years. I moved house last year...
  12. D

Doing my best there, but it's a lonely business.
  13. D

I replied: One user has thanked him and no one else has spotted the trick, so it's likely time to expose it. ChatGPT is a text predictor, as many of you will know. All the AI knows is that words like nanoparticles, entangle, supercapacitors, carbon, polymer, dielectric etc often occur close...
  14. D

The thread at Audiogon continues to entertain. One poster writes: And on being asked how he knows this, replies (I suspect with tongue in cheek): Which may be an admission he used ChatGPT to make up the paragraph above.
  15. D

Can anyone explain the vinyl renaissance?

I thought I might enjoy a long read of this thread, but I don't seem to be able to get past the OP saying he can't hear a difference between YouTube and a CD. Is this just a 91 page troll?
  16. D

Vacuum Record Cleaners

I have one on order, being intrigued by the statement it actually uses ultrasonic frequencies (110kHz) and the stylus sits in a water bath. I have one of the numerous "ultrasonic" stylus cleaners sold under many names, that is plainly NOT ultrasonic. That doesn't work any better than a carbon...
  17. D

Repairing/Proofing Quad Electrostatic Panels

Twice in the last year I took my 2905's to have a new panel inserted. Both failures were in the same speaker and the other one has been faultless, so far. The second time, the tech and I decided to investigate more closely, and we found there was very little glue in the old panels attaching the...
  18. D

Vacuum Record Cleaners

I've been through a VPI 16.5 and a Nitty Gritty vacuum RCM. I gave them away once I bought a Loricraft PRC-4 Deluxe. Like the Keith Monks, it is a point source vacuum, and the vacuum is applied through an ever renewing strand of cotton thread. It is quieter than the other vacuum machines and...
  19. D

DCM Time Window

I've had to have my Quad 2905s out of service to have a couple of panels replaced during the last year. Each time I took my old TimeFrame TF700s out of the attic. When I bought them in, what?, 1989? they were said to be uncoloured like electrostatics. Well, they're no electrostatics! But after...
Top Bottom