Search results

1. A

Speakers from last century that you love

I still love and use the pair of Quad Esl 57s I bought in 1974 I’ve blown them up a few times in their long life but as I live in the UK Quad are always up for repairing them - and probably anything else they have ever made I have up to date 21st century ancillary equipment plus sub woofers...
  2. A

Rank the most important variables to obtain optimal sound perception in the listening position.

Being in a good mood Good music choice Great recording Being able to put that above lists out of your head Deep listening
  3. A

Master Thread: “Objectivism versus Subjectivism” debate and is there a middle ground?

Rembrandt used to photograph all his paintings so they would look more realistic Great Artist!
  4. A

Not trying to be arrogant here, but who listens to this?

Listen to mesien quartet for the end of time You will find you have heard music like this all your life subliminally as You will find you have listened to music like this all your life subliminally as film music / background music One of the best jumping off points for listening, reading and...
  5. A

Neumann KH 150 Monitor Review

Fantastic singing on that track
  6. A

The Quality Of Tape: The new transfers of Decca’s Ring recordings

High culture is still for the rich The greatest musical revolution in the 20th Century was not Schoenberg - it was the advent of mass recorded music and the explosion of creativity from the supposedly ignorant working classes around the world especially in Black America and the UK The Rich got...
  7. A

That’s the Furtwengler version Love to see a Bugs Bunny version of this Bonking Bunnies
  8. A

Fantastic You were very likely hearing that exact recording in the 60s No Wagner opera sounds like the other - even the Ring evolves in style over the 25 years he wrote it Listen to Tristan and Isolde Blow your Mind ! (Not with Solti - Kleiber Bohm or Furtwengler ( the best ) )
  9. A

The great thing is we now have both cycles !
  10. A

Maybe they were dreaded in 1984 because of the CD players CD playback - with of choice external DACs are better than ever
  11. A

I tell all my friends to try an opera - it can’t be difficult as it’s written for the rich Opera was pop for the rich Spectacular and fun Profound along the way - just like modern pop - almost by accident - the better the composer the better the music Then it stays around
  12. A

Can anyone explain the vinyl renaissance?

T That’s all brilliant! Whatever magic vinyl has when setup well is always at the mercy of that last hurdle The quality of the pressing I listen to mostly Classical- loud The torture of the end of Mahlers 9th etc accompanied by ever louder click drove me mad plus wow and rumble could never...
  13. A

Standardized mental techniques / training for better listening?

Thankyou very much for the recommendation- will certainly check this out !
  14. A

The endless fascination comes from the way music does impinge on the brain cells so immediately More than any other art form in my experience Anything that heightens or improves that impingement becomes part of the experience Hence our audiophile obsessions and endless hankering after the...
  15. A

Each to their own All one needs to do is listen Nobody needs guidance- most people do that bit without a care in the world - and enjoy it Improving and getting the best from that listening experience is what obsesses the members of this site and sites like it Then it gets complicated In...
Top Bottom