Search results

1. M

Review and Measurements of New JDS Labs Atom Headphone Amp

Considering that this is a dc coupled amp, are there certain dacs that should be avoided? Do dacs like the topping d30, topping d10, sdac, ol dac and modi 3 have negligible dc output? Does one of them stand out as particularly low?
  2. M

Do Separates actually perform better than Integrateds?

We've seen here measurements of equipment that performed badly in terms of low frequency hum specifically because of the use of an internal power supply that either needed to be external or a different design.
  3. M

Review and Measurements of Schiit BiFrost DAC

@amirm It appears this is a pre-2016 bifrost since it lacks usb. Compared to dacs like the musical fidelity vdac II from 2012, it still seems like a poor result. Schiit mentions that the bifrost has a fully discrete analog stage, which makes it kinda unique for a dac, but it doesn't seem like...
  4. M

Review and Measurements of Fiio K5 Headphone Amp

I like the new channel balance results being in decibels. Previously, I would bust out a calculator to do the conversion myself to make sense of the results. One question is how fiio got the output impedance so low using the buffer they were using. Doesn't everyone else use 10 ohms with it?
  5. M

Which DAC measurements do you like to see next?

This evga nu audio sound card https://www.evga.com/articles/01281/evga-nu-audio/ Weirdly, the specs don't mention it, but it has a lme49600 headphone buffer like the jdslabs atom. A little worried that they did however, mention that it has "audio grade resistors". It is also unusual in that it...
  6. M

Review and Measurements of SoundBlaster X-FI HD

I think the x fi hd was released in 2010, since there is this review from that time period. https://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac/pc-components/sound-cards/creative-sound-blaster-x-fi-hd-913944/review And yet it is still available on amazon for some reason.
  7. M

Review and Measurements of Audio-gd R2R11 DAC & Amp

It costs more than the topping dx3 pro, but performs almost 1000x worse, literally, at 33 ohm 500mw.
  8. M

Review: Apple vs Google USB-C Headphone Adapters

idk, 113db in dynamic range for a $9 1vrms dac seems much beyond what you would expect.
  9. M

Review: Apple vs Google USB-C Headphone Adapters

@amirm How is the signal to noise ratio test done? Is it the aes17 dynamic range test? I am concerned the apple dac was only able to reach such numbers because it switched itself off for the noise measurement.
  10. M

Review and Measurements of Asus STX II PCI Sound Card

The performance problems in this review mainly stem from a software issue, the apparent lack of 24 bit support. I have used other asus cards and didn't have an issue setting them to 24 bit, but I haven't used the stx II specifically, so it's either a bug specific to that series or we never...
  11. M

Review and Measurements of New JDS Labs Atom Headphone Amp

Some people were speculating on what the buffer was. Their website now lists the atom and says it is an lme49600 amp.
  12. M

Review and Measurements of Monoprice Liquid Spark Headphone Amp

@amirm How is the snr test done? Is it done at max power at 300 ohms?
  13. M

Review and Measurements of Monoprice Portable Amp and DAC with THX

Is there something about a portable dac+amp that inherently lowers performance? This and the chord mojo both failed to excel.
  14. M

Review and Measurements of Chord Mojo DAC and Amp

The harmonic distortion is very low, and so is the jitter and that is pretty impressive, but the noise must be somewhat high if the sinad is only around 100 and the dynamic range is only around 110.
  15. M

Review and Measurements of Topping DX3Pro DAC and Headphone Amp

@amirm are there physical controls on the dac itself, or are they only on the remote?
  16. M

Topping D30 DAC Measurement and Review

I'm confused. The topping page has drivers from 2018. Those don't work?
  17. M

@amirm I know I'm asking for a lot of time to be put into this niche hardware review, but would it be possible to do the other 4 tests with 24 bit asio (dynamic range, linearity, imd vs level, jitter)? I think there may be substantial differences in some of the tests.
  18. M

Ok, I just found out that you can right click that icon. I have a xonar dx, and I have nothing grayed out. It might be an stx II specific issue.
  19. M

This issue seems to be related to the type of software being used to open the asio panel, with some software having issues with bit depth grayed out, and others not. What were you using asio in?
Top Bottom