Search results

1. Thorsten Loesch

Handling a complex load by power amplifiers

Note the parts in the red ellipses. Fit them and the resonance peak goes away. Specifically the 3R3 + 1uF. Alternatively include a note that the Amplifier should not be used with speakers, unless they are purely resistive in nature in the HF fegion and the amplifier ideally should not be used...
  2. Thorsten Loesch

Really. So you mean all far eastern budget priced are tested for electrical safety and EMC according to all relevant international regulations and pass the requirements? I have seen a LOT that I am certain would not pass. And there have been quite a few well publicised cases of unsafe...
  3. Thorsten Loesch

My reply was harmonised it seems. Aparently posts referencing the TI EVM design are not welcome. Put simply, the TI EVM does not show this behaviour. What is more, the EVM contains additional non-populated positions for parts that can be added, if changing (for example) the filter inductors...
  4. Thorsten Loesch

FOR THIS SPECIFIC AMPLIFIER, around 90% of speakers will be inductive enough to allow the output filter peaking to be substantial. ONLY FOR THIS AMPLIFER, because it is faulty by design. But for most speakers. MOST Amplifiers do not have this problem at all, be by design or by luck. And yes...
  5. Thorsten Loesch

Yes, let's just stop making measurements of gear that show problems, when we can instead focus on only the good parts. Let's be like the Curate and if we get a bad egg, let's focus on the parts that are excellent. Unless of course it is an expensive audiophile egg... Thor
  6. Thorsten Loesch

Well, I have asked here repeatedly for the science behind all of this SINAD (aka THD&N). What Pavel measures is very real, probably > 90% of all speakers are affected and we need the combination of amplifier, speaker AND source to cause the system to show problems. It may even be recording...
  7. Thorsten Loesch

An actual speaker will behave worse, for a variety of reasons. Thor
  8. Thorsten Loesch

If they work correctly and do not suffer from serious flaws - they are fine. The problem is that even two seemingly identical amplifiers from two different vendors or two different batches may be different. Parts may have been omitted that were present in earlier versions, or parts may have...
  9. Thorsten Loesch

Or excitation from the switching frequency... I would not consider this acceptable. Ultimately any amplifier that measures like this is an Amplifier any competent designer and / or engineer measuring it would describe as "faulty by design". If I was you, I would call that out and state under...
  10. Thorsten Loesch

ifi Zen Phono Review (phono stage)

Well, MC-Hi could have been called MM2. Both settings are fine for MM Pickups. As MM pickup's are usually quite "hot" (often > 5mV @ 3.54cm/s), the lowest gain was assigned to MM. The High Output MC's are commonly less "hot" (2.5mV @ 3.54cm/s), so the higher gain was labelled MC-Hi. So using...
  11. Thorsten Loesch

Serious Question: How can DAC's have a SOUND SIGNATURE if they measure as transparent? Are that many confused?

I'm German, we have the sense of humor surgically removed shortly after birth, kinda like the German version of brit milah. Thor
  12. Thorsten Loesch

Some key issues are that many agency requirements manufacturers need to meet (electrical safety, electromagnetic compatibility, mains harmonic limits, standby power limitations etc.) need measures that, if following "common practice", can create major audio problems. As with any problem, once...
  13. Thorsten Loesch

Let's be clear what we try to achieve. That is a solid earth connection on the Phono stage chassis, without relying on the interconnect cables to carry the earth, possibly from Poweramp to linestage to Phono. The turntable ground gets connected to the normal ground screw on the case. To be...
  14. Thorsten Loesch

Serious Question: How can DAC's have a SOUND SIGNATURE if they measure as transparent? Are that many confused?

Yeah, Rain's are coming. Once it starts raining it's not so bad. And Songkran is comming. Never been to Copenhagen yet, not very high on the bucket list either. Baan Kuhn Por in Prachuap Khiri Khan is a great place for live music, all sorts of kinds of food and beer. First shout is mine if...
  15. Thorsten Loesch

I have wide ranging interests. As a former Eastern European, defense against RuSSian aggression is fairly high up the list. Thor Let's go to the beach. The bomb exploded. The radiation toasts, and blends nicely with the blue. Let's go to the beach. Everybody with a hat. The radioactive...
  16. Thorsten Loesch

Replace OP amps. Completely pointless, or not?

Right from the data sheet: Essentially the same, except more pithy. What I get from this. Datasheets contain boilerplate text on layout that are meant as "insurance" against customer complaints. They commonly suggest the same things almost regardless of Op-Amp. Which is not saying that...
  17. Thorsten Loesch

It is absolutely baking hot here, I need to jump into my pool at least twice daily and run the AC on "Are you insane" in my office, but other than that, all is peachy. No, the NOMA argument - that is "Non-overlapping magisteria". On one side we have a purely subjective measure, in itself an...
  18. Thorsten Loesch

Split Bobbin EI or LL transformers are the "simple" type that has the least noise coupling via Mains. Unless multiple shields are employed, Toroidal and R-Core types are worst. This can of course be mitigated against. I would avoid them, unless you can be sure the designer of the powersupply...
  19. Thorsten Loesch

You said it. If you replaced a non-X iPower I would doubt that. If you replaced a generic SMPS, yes. Thor
Top Bottom