Search results

1. computer-audiophile

The pain of being a member of ASR

A note of absence at the turn of the year. In 2024, I plan to undergo a digital detox and step away from internet forums altogether, just as I did with my own online publications years ago. Finally, I would like to express my gratitude to Amir, the moderators, the administrators, and the...
  2. computer-audiophile

Quebec audiophile shows off his new Hi-Fi system, very expensive set up

OMG, it's all so awful and then there's that music. I am disgusted. :facepalm:
  3. computer-audiophile

Sony DAC2000 - High End music studio DACs from early 2000s better than today? Has anyone heard it?

Twenty years ago, I myself could still clearly hear the differences in the sound of DACs. I used to use a lot of DACs A/B/C... side by side in my home. In this respect, it may have made sense to develop your own professional device. Today, most DACs are almost perfect and I would no longer hear...
  4. computer-audiophile

ASR MEMBERS: What System Would YOU Choose To Blow Away Non-Audiophiles?

Thank you, I find the story about the Japanese-influenced house in Sidney more than exciting. Perhaps I would also be a Japanese architect in another life? :) I'll write you a PM about it so as not to burden the thread with OT.
  5. computer-audiophile

Starting with turntables

Vinyl chloride is a precursor from which PVC (polyvinyl chloride) is made. PVC is one of the best-selling plastics of all. Around 50 million tons of it are produced every year. You can imagine that vinyl record production accounts for a negligible proportion of this. In fact, this is a global...
  6. computer-audiophile

There could be something to it. When you see pictures of furnishings, you can usually guess the age cohort of the owners. You don't even notice if you've fallen out of time. But it doesn't matter, the main thing is that you feel comfortable with what you have.
  7. computer-audiophile

Starting with turntables

It would have to be set against the environmental impact of the server farms from which we retrieve our music today.
  8. computer-audiophile

Starting with turntables

Most of the records I own today cost me nothing at all. In fact, this is my third attempt at building a record collection. Twice before, in the course of my audio journey, I had given away everything I had on vinyl. Then I came across this extensive, valuable and expertly curated record...
  9. computer-audiophile

Why can't we just ignore inane audio threads?

I think the hunt for better and better devices is not limited to the "subjectivists". Someone else might also keep buying new devices because they objectively have a better SINAD and are available at bargain prices.
  10. computer-audiophile

Starting with turntables

As Søren Kierkegaard once pondered, 'Life can only be understood backward; but it must be lived forwards.' I agree with that. But I think it's an exaggeration to label vinyl record listening as anti-intellectual.
  11. computer-audiophile

Better that than harder drugs.
  12. computer-audiophile

Great recordings of classical music

Yes, Ukraine's most important composer is repeatedly accused of having a penchant for kitsch. But Valentin Silvestrov's tender music is anything but schmaltzy, in my opinion. Music can simply be beautiful.
  13. computer-audiophile

Great recordings of classical music

Today I would like to recommend the Ukrainian contemporary composer Silvestrov, if I haven't already done so. My wife sent me an e-mail this morning saying I should listen to him. But I had already heard of him before. We often e-mail each other because we sit in different study rooms in front...
  14. computer-audiophile

Starting with turntables

Yes, why not? Consuming fast food is also a convenient cultural practice of today for getting full. ;)
  15. computer-audiophile

In the vast sea of discourse, where it seems everything has been said, I post, therefore I am. In the words of Albert Camus, 'I rebel; therefore, I exist.' Engaging in dialogue, even when topics appear exhausted, is a declaration of our digital existence and of our intellectual identity.
  16. computer-audiophile

Food: didn't know Italians were so picky about their carbonara!

Lately I've been reading more and more about excellent restaurants in Germany that are giving up because it's no longer profitable and they can't find staff. That's sad and also strange, because it obviously worked n the past.
  17. computer-audiophile

This is a very interesting topic that is also on my mind at the moment. I find it difficult to realise for myself that everything is actually in the bag. I always want to keep the hobby going and somehow keep it alive, but the point at which I stop participating in forums is getting closer and...
  18. computer-audiophile

What System Would YOU Choose To Blow Away Non-Audiophiles? Conversely, I have been impressed by certain exemplary installations. Through fortunate circumstances, I gained access to circles that have built incredibly great systems. This alternative and idiosyncratic old-school audio scene is...
Top Bottom