Search results

1. R

SVS PB-2000 Pro 12-inch Subwoofer Objective Review

I just happened to stumble across the written (vs video) version here with the driver specs on it, and took a rough shot at modeling up the subwoofer, which is quite possible to do thanks to Erin's publishing all of the T/S parameters. I thought it I would post it here for anyone who might find...
  2. R

Onkyo TX-RZ50 Review (Home Theater AVR)

All good takeaways. A lot of people want champagne on a beer budget. 11 channels of .0005% THD+N DACs with 9 channels of amps that will crank out 150/250wpc all day at .0004% THD+N isn't going to happen for $1400. And if you can live with only 9 channels of processing, you get down to about a...
  3. R

No. There's a fairly long thread about the RZ50 at AVS and this does not seem to be an issue that has arisen. If the power users aren't griping, it's probably not a gripe. And I think people would know. When the limiter engages, the amplifier section appears to put out maybe 40 to 50 watts...
  4. R

It power limits based on the input signal? Then how is it that "With 8 ohm load, I didn't see this problem." So with NO load attached it triggers the limiter, but with an 8 ohm load attached, it doesn't? It's not impossible that Onkyo tied a VI limiter to an input signal, but it seems...
  5. R

Some of the complaints seem a bit overblown. For only $1400 you get a product with Dirac built into it, and with 9 amplification channels also built in, and 11.2 processing channels. This is about the only product on earth that gives you that. And it does it with sufficient output at the RCA...
  6. R

Topping PA5 Review (Amplifier)

Settled? No. Something is never settled unless its tested. I can understand the reservations about 20kHz harmonics being inaudible. They are. And the concerns about high power 19kHZ+20kHz being realistic to program. It isn't. But to prove the known flags for IMD do not actually cause IMD...
  7. R

Except that many amplifiers won't have that blue line, or that green line on your attached picture. I'll even go one further and say most well designed amplifiers won't show that since most well designed amplifiers can meet a .02% or less 20Hz to 20kHz specification. They don't produce nearly...
  8. R

Got it. So it's not quite an "apples for apples" comparison to most other amplifiers where we have a CCIF test since those have typically been done at higher power level. At low listening levels, at least, it's quite clean. As power ramps up, there might be problems. A sample of this...
  9. R

Clearly, trying to determine whether the high THD at high frequencies of the amplifier which is the subject of this review is actually causing problems elsewhere in the spectrum, as would be expected, and explaining why this would be expected, along with some lamenting that the testp protocol...
  10. R

Thanks for doing that, and obviously for understanding WHY it was important. I couldn't find where the power level was given for the CCIF, but if that is at full power, it's impressively clean, and would to an extent alleviate some of the concerns that the bad THD20 creates. If it was at 5W...
  11. R

:facepalm: Like I said, read Cordell and Self. If you want to buy things based on specifications (which you should, in part), at least know enough not to say something like this. It's why "specmanship" got a bad name in audio. It's easy to bamboozle people who don't understand what they're...
  12. R

You're wrong. It tells you a lot. The 20kHz THD measurement is one of the single most important specifications going. Go read Doug Self or Bob Cordell's books about amplifier design. Then the lightbulb will go off and you'll understand why it matters. No serious amp designer sits there...
  13. R

There's no speculation here. Distortion rises at high frequencies. We know the 20kHz THD is terrible. And we know it is not "noise" since there is a noise measurement. What we know (from what we know about amplifier design and measuring or reading lots of amp measurements) means we know with...
  14. R

He may be misinterpreting it, but it would be better if it were noise. It may be worse than that. It was mentioned once off the bat by @pma months ago and then promptly forgotten or ignored (although I gave up after page 35). This is nowhere close to state of the art--it's not even very good...
  15. R

Review and Measurements of Sound BlasterX G6

They use a proprietary setup which they designed and engineered. It's documented on the site. I have found that their measurements and third party measurements tend to align well, and have spent a number of hours comparing them. I find them particularly useful because each product has...
  16. R

That's interesting. At first I wondered if that wouldn't validate another test point at perhaps, -3dBFS, or simple doing a digital level sweep test, and then cataloging the absolute best performance that can be obtained, and where. Then I did a bit of research and decided (once again) that all...
  17. R

Can someone correct me if I'm wrong here? Since the volume control is digital, unless you run everything on the computer wide open, isn't the THD+N/SINAD going to be 112dB (and then reducing accordingly for lower volume levels) under any circumstance that is not running it wide open? The low...
  18. R

On stereo content, it does not go too crazy trying to turn it into a multichannel mix, so far as I can tell, although I've never turned it all the way up. I usually keep it around the 30% level. At that setting, it simply acts as a stereo HRTF, I did try a variety of convolution filters...
  19. R

For someone who likes the sound of headphones, any sort of HRTF is probably terrible. :) It's a matter of taste. But I have never found headphones to sound even remotely natural, and for me, this helps. Unfortunately, a HRTF that isn't specifically tailored for the user will work better for...
  20. R

Looking at the whole SINAD chart (which as most of you know goes against everything I hold dear...:) ), in terms of price vs performance and features, I think this is actually at the very top of the chart, particularly when you consider that it will be over 112dB in most normal usage situations...
Top Bottom