Search results

1. jsilvela

Music recordings with a center channel?

After spiffing up my audio setup thanks to ASR and getting a center channel for movies, I was wondering if there are music recordings made with a center channel. I can see there are concert DVDs/Blu-Rays, and some of them indicate Dolby 5.1 or some other multi-channel format. But I'm thinking...
  2. jsilvela

Big math/science results within easy reach

There are some impressive results in math / comp. sci. that don't require much knowledge to get to. I was thinking of sharing them in a recent thread on AI, but that was not really the place. I'm thinking of two results that are somewhat related and can be big eye openers: 1. The halting...
  3. jsilvela

The most irrational numbers; the golden ratio

It's fun to see many mentions of the Golden Ratio here, which makes sense for room dimensions. There is more legend/hype than I like about the golden ratio; I had to quit the Mario Livio book after 20 pages, just so much :facepalm:. But there's a brilliant video by Ben Sparks for Numberphile...
  4. jsilvela

Group delay produced by stereo

I’m trying to find an explanation for my preference for center speaker vs. phantom center, and for mono over stereo for Zoom calls, videos of talks, podcasts. I'm about to get mathy, so ... well, anyway. I recently put a single monitor connected to a DAC on my desktop, which doesn’t have enough...
  5. jsilvela

Movie directors with a sonic signature

Many movie directors make sure there is good music in their movies, or that there are impressive sound effects. Not talking about that here. How about directors that use the dialog, music and background sounds in a unique way? So that you can almost tell who made the movie just by the sound? I...
  6. jsilvela

Does it make sense to recommend integrated amps any more?

Even advising someone who is an inveterate stereo proponent, I think a preamp + amp solution will prevent headaches down the road. I had always used integrated amps, but when my Cambridge Audio integrated started flaking out last year, I did not get a new one. The main reason for that was that...
  7. jsilvela

typography/fonts of hifi brand websites

Typography is another hobby for me. I’ve been looking at many audio brands’s websites in the last two months, and for the most part I find them pretty blah from a typography / font perspective. Not that I’ve been exhaustive, but I’ve checked perhaps 20/30 websites of audio brands; not one used...
  8. jsilvela

how to place a center speaker?

I've recently bought a center speaker. Sits nicely on a shelf below the TV. I need to angle it up a bit towards ear-level. I have found mentions of other people doing that too in the forums. At the moment I'm using a book under the speaker to tilt upwards. I'm wondering: what are people using...
  9. jsilvela

Science on low frequency quality?

I've been consuming a lot of information on low frequency reproduction, room modes, correction via DSP, brand wars etc. Something keeps bugging me. For all the effort expended on LF, I wonder if the science really backs it up. I have the first edition of Floyd Toole's book. Reading that, and...
  10. jsilvela

Subwoofer (REL) high level connection wiring depends on amp topology: how can that work?

When I bought my REL sub I used the high level connection as the instructions recommended. My amp was class AB, and that was the first case explained in the instructions. The high level cable has 3 wires: black, red, yellow. For an AB amp, you connect the red and yellow wires to the red binding...
  11. jsilvela

Why the fuss with subwoofer specs and brands?

I've been doing a lot of learning since discovering ASR recently. When it comes to subwoofers, I find a lot less data (at ASR and in general), and more of brand-loyalty or brand-shaming than for other areas at ASR. Even in the subwoofer comparison thread by sweetchaos, the frequency response...
  12. jsilvela

Rewiring a toroidal transformer from 110v to 220v

Wondering if someone could give me a hand reconverting a US mains amp to EU mains. Many years ago, when I lived in Seattle, I bought a CI Audio D100 monoblock to drive a center channel. Really was just an excuse to get something with the UcD modules... Before buying I inquired about converting...
  13. jsilvela

Measurements that affect vocal clarity

Hello, first post here. Recently discovered this awesome site and been learning a lot. I see many here have the same headache I do: to add or not to add a center channel for increased clarity in movies. And if deciding to add a center channel, going the AVR route vs. AVP and external amp, or...
Top Bottom