Search results

1. R

Not trying to be arrogant here, but who listens to this?

In truth, I have enjoyed the musical selections that I have had a chance to listen to. I think the thread is very thought-provoking and educational. I have always had an interest in the more experimental genres mentioned here, and I regret not keeping some of the recordings I had in the early...
  2. R

Not trying to be arrogant here, but who listens to this?

If we get to vote, I’d say we end this thread!
  3. R

Can anyone explain the vinyl renaissance?

“In high school I used to transfer LP's to 8 tracks and I recorded right though the "track change clunk". To this day (45 year later) when ever I hear those songs that used to have the "track change clunk" in the middle of them I expect to hear the "clunk" and when I don't I immediately notice...
  4. R

I can’t follow what any of you are talking about any more. Can anyone explain the vinyl renaissance?
  5. R

Not foolish, certainly - in many realms what seems unthinkable becomes the norm, once it has been thought of. Perhaps you mistake the object for the intellectual property it represents. By selling a painting or sculpture the single object embodies the artist’s work and talent. Like an NFT tries...
  6. R

I understand your sentiment, but I have to side with @MattHooper . It’s not a personal preference. It’s theft of a person’s intellect, talent, and labor. The creator deserves to benefit from their creation. The more widely it is appreciated, the more they deserve to benefit. It’s simple...
  7. R

Artwork should have some of these restrictions. My wife is an artist and is painfully attuned to the way art is treated as an object, not as intellectual property. She firmly believes that when artwork is resold at a profit to the original owner, that a serious percentage of that profit...
  8. R

Where to start with room correction

@rwortman - I tried using the default house curve in REW. I didn’t like it. This is what I started with. (The right channel had mostly similar issues.) The analysis shows an effective SPL 72.7db (at the bottom of the window) with the frequencies above 1500Hz pretty flat at about 74 db. So the...
  9. R

Anybody PREFER listening to music on bookshelves or tower speakers only (without the subwoofer)?

Ambient hall noise should essentially self-filter the high end but the bottom end is still there. Imagine standing on a stage and facing the hall. What reaches you is little more that a distant rumble. Yet, this low near-subsonic rumble may give a lot of information about the hall ambience and...
  10. R

Transmission-line speakers

I wouldn't wake up this old thread, except I think there is still more that has been missed. Irving M. (Bud) Fried was the original importer of IMF speakers (note his initials), and later produced his own under the Fried name. He was a firm believer in transmission lines - I have two models...
  11. R

Where to start with room correction

I bought a package that bundled a miniDSP UMIK-1 and a miniDSP HD. It has two analog inputs which I connected to the tape monitor output. I used only two of the four outputs since I have full-range speakers and no woofers. These outputs from the miniDSP went back to the tape monitor inputs. It...
  12. R

The kit we bought, our current setups

Yeah, that would be me. The other inhabitant of the hu-man-cave says she is leaving all the dusty little nooks and crannies to me. It gets dusty fast, for some reason.
  13. R

Mostly classical, then jazz, then classic rock. I recently got the remastered Doors albums, and the rumble of thunder in Riders of the Storm fills the room. The record player has just been resurrected after years of disuse, and I built a temporary cabinet for the records we have from the mid- to...
  14. R

My system seems pretty retro based on what I have been seeing. Then again, I went through the upgrading of components in the 80’s and 90’s so I don’t need to do it now. Here is the setup from my listening position. The speakers are Fried Studio V with M.A.R.S. This is a transmission line design...
  15. R

Master Thread: Are measurements Everything or Nothing?

Thank you for the analysis. Heaven forbid I would be advocating the addition of more harmonics or distortion. My comments have a much smaller domain. In the earlier discussion there was a comment about a circuit that sounded dull vs. one that people liked better. The charts were presented to...
  16. R

I should have said something like “scientific”, “measurable” concepts that increase musical enjoyment. I’m not a gimmicks guy. But I do think we are leaving measurements behind that we should be investigating.
  17. R

At least I proposed something testable. Given the rhythmic nature of most music, would odd-order harmonic distortion make the music seem to have more impact than the equivalent amount of even-order distortion. It should be easy to test - just not by me! ”Common knowledge“ was always that...
  18. R

If the playback has you tapping your toes or sitting on the edge of your seat, it has pace. If it is lifeless, it does not. The manufacturer of my speakers attributed it to proper phase response.
  19. R

Standardized mental techniques / training for better listening?

It sounds to me that you would like to listen to the music, and appreciate it, rather than just hearing pretty sounds. I recommend highly these programs, What Makes it Great, by Rob Kapilow. Rob breaks down the marvels of composition so anyone can understand why some music is as good as it...
  20. R

Could it be “pace” that makes the sound more engaging? Being new here, I don’t know if this is still considered undefinable, so I’ll be more specific. The first charts from @Thorsten Loesch showed more 2nd harmonic distortion, while the more engaging music showed more 3rd order distortion. It...
Top Bottom