Search results

1. Z

Car Audio: Fixing a 1979 Porsche 924. What would an "audiophile" setup of roughly that era look like? I'm a noob.

I think I may have some of those. The car came with a whole trunkload (and the 924 has a pretty sizable one) of replacement parts. haha. This thing has project potential for years to come. I'm gonna have to inventory those at some point. What I'd really like to source are newer rear struts to...
  2. Z

Car Audio: Fixing a 1979 Porsche 924. What would an "audiophile" setup of roughly that era look like? I'm a noob.

I'm pretty good at reading! :) I brought a 1979 Yamaha XS750 back from "purgatory" (wasn't dead yet, but it needed some work). I never managed to acquire the skills necessary to ride it (it's a large bike for someone who doesn't know how ride them), but I am pretty sure I managed to at least get...
  3. Z

The road noise will just mask noise from cassettes! The SNR for pre-recorded cassettes isn't great anyways. haha. My goal is to create a bubble universe based on my romantic/naive notions of time (1980s) that I wasn't even alive for (born 1989).
  4. Z

I've found fixing old motor vehicles to be a pretty good learning experience. I don't know how useful that knowledge will be. Messing with thing gets me out of bed and doing stuff. Besides everyone has to have a hooptie! Except I don't have another non-dilapidated automobile (for my personal...
  5. Z

Cool! I didn't know such a thing a thing existed! $1200 in 1980 works out to $3792 USD adjusted for inflation. Dang. It looks cool too! I'm gonna keep my eyes peeled for one of these. Maybe I'll happen across one by chance at some point in the future. It was random chance that I "got into"...
  6. Z

All the sound dampening was stripped off the car by someone whoever had it before me. I have to re-do that at some point. I am in the process of tracking down some panels and stuff. The more major interior restoring is gonna be awhile. I'm waiting on replacement airflow sensor (it's on the way...
  7. Z

I'm not sure who it is I'll get respect from (other than myself). I didn't know McIntosh did tape decks for cars. Their stuff always looks nice, but the specs for current stuff always seems kinda meh, especially considering they absurd price that they retail for. Maybe "audiophile" might be...
  8. Z

Very cool. I don't doubt that these are going up in price, but I don't know what would be driving demand. The car was $750 CAD, those very cool units sell for almost as much as I paid for the whole car hahaha. If I get it all fixed real nice, it will be worth approximately 3–4 of those cool radios?
  9. Z

Show us your Cars

:D Nah, I quite prefer mid-"grrrrr" of my Yamaha XS750 or the the polite little putt-putt of the parallel-twin on my CB450s. :D
  10. Z

Thanks! The audio stuff is a long way off. First thing I need to get is getting running properly (waiting on a replacement airflow sensor meter). I was a stroke of the luck that the thing managed get from driveway to the garage on its own power. I've been working away steadily at removing the...
  11. Z

That's pretty cool. I'm only 31, so the car is older than I am. I've gotten curmudgeonly recently so I kinda wanted to keep it "vintage", but that does look like a more practical option. However, it can't play all the sweet cassettes I've picked up from the thrift store over the years! I'm...
  12. Z

I really like the first generation of 300ZX (all the Z-cars are pretty sweet), but they seem to be more in demand and Nissan at that period doesn't seem have the same quality of galvanization on their panels so I guess a lot of them have maybe rusted out? I live in Canada (snow, and salt on...
  13. Z

I believe it had 4. There appears to have 2 up front, and there is a grille on the pillars on each side in the rear seat. They sure aren't too big though.
  14. Z

I'm not super sensible, but I bought 1979 Porsche 924 (4-speed, NA for those who care) for pretty cheap. Cosmetically it looks terrible, but mechanically it seems pretty darn good. It's a project for own amusement/edification. On of the things I want to do is have a super sweet, cassette-based...
  15. Z

Resistive loading on electric guitar pickups? Can anyone help?

OK, this isn't really a "hi-fi" related inquiry, but I feel like this is as good a place as any to ask. I have a 1989 Yamaha RGX 611J. It has a humbucker in the bridge and single coil in the neck position. The general guideline for guitar pickups is that for humbuckers (two coils wired in...
  16. Z

Any guitarists/bassist or other musicians out there?

I used to play classical, but not really anymore. I agree with you about there being no objective requirements with respect to guitar, but that also doesn't mean that empirical evidence is totally useless (not I believe you think that, but some people probably do). The output measurements in the...
  17. Z

My sister played trumpet in high school. I know nothing about that general class of instruments. What I think are super cool are accordions. I'd love to get my hands on a chromatic one with a whole bunch of buttons, but they aren't cheap.
  18. Z

Hey y'all. I haven't been on these forums lately. I've been busy practicing guitar and generally messing about with them. I actually put together this part-o-caster just the other day. Im calling the Kuzu (屑—means "trash", "scrap" "refuse", et cetera) Custom for the time being Anyways, I am...
  19. Z

Knives. Knifethread.

Man, I love Spydercos! I have a whole mess of them. I'll try and find them. My favourite is my flatground J.D. Smith.
  20. Z

SAT modifies SL-1000R.

Actually I think manufacturers just discovered once again that you can use a servo system in a turntable. Fluance is the only manufacturer I can think of that uses DC motors with some kind of servo. AT and like are all DC motors sans servo. Everything "high-end" (or that aspires to be) is AC...
Top Bottom