Search results

1. L

Getting DRIAC Live Minidsp ?

After reading the 2.1 support thread, https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/lack-of-2-1-support-is-grinding-my-gears.50802/ I'm thinking of trying to add a sub to my 2.0 system and would only consider it if I could get some type of bass management & room correction. My...
  2. L

Speaker High pass Low pass filter for a sub ?

I switched out an AVR 5.1 system for a 2 channel system. Now have a Marantz model 40 which has a sub output with low pass filter options of, 40 Hz / 60 Hz / 80 Hz / 100 Hz / 120 Hz (Default: 80 Hz). But since there is no filter for the mains won't the mains still get the full range all the down...
  3. L

Sub output question

I've got a Marantz Model 40n on the way I'm swapping it out from a Marantz PM8006 no sub used with 8006. My question is on the model 40 sub output will it cancel out the low freq. going to the left & right speakers ? I've read manual & googled it but can't seem to find an answer. My speakers are...
  4. L

2 integrated amps into 1 set of speakers

Question, can you wire speakers from 2 different amps ? Problem is I have a Marantz PM8006 and can't find a "sure fire way to get sound from my Sony OLED TV to play through it. I read about using a DAC & optical connection but there seems to problems there & DAC won't process any type of dolby...
  5. L

Audio out USB port or ?

We just bought a Sony Bravia OLED (wow what a picture !) I'm wondering if there is way to use my 2 channel amp & speakers for the sound ? The amp is a Marantz PM8006 it only has RCA input connections. Is there a device that would have optical or USP inputs and have RCA outputs ? The TV has 2...
  6. L

The tale of 2 amps (subjective)

I thought had problem with my system & ordered a new amp (problem was me not the system see this, https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/complete-idiot-here-but-not-hopeless.42722/#post-1512319) Anyway new amp was ordered before I fixed the problem & it showed up a few days...
  7. L

Expectations vs. results

After 50 years of chasing sound (always on budget) built my 1st pair of speakers in 1973 at 15 years old. Pretty much have always had a "decent" sounding system over the years even in my vehicles I made sure they had good sound. About 35 years ago I went all digital content & sold/gave away all...
  8. L

Complete idiot here (but not hopeless)

Not sure where this should be posted or posted at all:oops:. Anyway I recently joined ASR looking for sound a upgrade & possible DIY speakers bulid ect. advise I have since shelved the idea of DIY speakers. Anyway my system a Yamaha AV amp & Paradigm signature series speakers 5.1 just didn't...
  9. L

$500-$600 budget

New to turntables and wondering if used is a good way to go. I was looking at the Fluance RT85 for 500 bucks or Project Carbon 600 bucks or Rega Planer 1 600 bucks. Than I came across a used Rega P3-24 w/Ortofon Blue cartridge for 500 bucks with a cork matt. It looks brand new & owner says "very...
  10. L

Tone control

I'm new around here & realize that even with the science there's still opinions on it ! Which makes for some great reading ;) I'm buying a new amp 1.5K-2K budget for music only and there is always a compromise at this price point. But the one thing I would not compromise on is tone control. (I'm...
  11. L

Storing Gear

Would there be any problem storing a new amp & speakers in an unconditioned storage space for about 5 months ? Outside temps. will vary from aprx. 10-60 degrees with rain & possible snow. I'm ready to buy a new system but just found out we will be moving & have to put most of our stuff in...
  12. L

Frequency specs. worthless for a newb. ?

After reading posts here, (I'm getting new amp, speakers for 2 way music only system.) https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/should-i-feel-the-sound-more-with-floorstanding-speakers-vs-bookshelves.37809/ I started looking at specs. of 2 speakers I'm considering buying than...
  13. L

A hopeless room & sound

In my quest for knowledge on buying a new system and after a few weeks here and reading a lot posts (& not understanding some of it) here's where I'm at. Spend most of the money on speakers & get a speaker that measures well. Make sure your room is right or use some type of DSP Amp choice is...
  14. L

Hearing Loss & new gear

After discovering this forum a few weeks ago & reading up on different topics a question has come to me that would have never come up without reading about some actual Audio science & what we hear. I'm looking for some real world knowledge/opinions on my situation. I can finally afford what I...
  15. L

DAC use question

I'm new at this & trying to figure out a few things I did a search but didn't really find much on my question. Which is, I'm getting a Marantz PM8006 (no DAC) I'm also looking at CD players in the 400-600 dollar range. What I'm looking to do with digital music is plug in a phone/ipod & possibly...
  16. L

Speaker clone possible ?

Hello, I'm new here been lurking for a bit trying to figure out if I could build a pair of speakers that would sound very close the the JBL L82's. Budget would be up to 1200 bucks if it gets much more than that I'd just buy a pair. I've done a few speaker builds that came out OK but I just built...
Top Bottom