Search results

1. LightninBoy

Simple living room system: what would you do?

Goal: Build a simple to use, decent sounding 2 or 2.1 system for the living room. Use: Casual movie, TV, music listening Sources: TV (including streaming), Bluray player, Bluetooth (from phones) Speakers: Revel M22 (passive bookshelf speakers) Budget: cheap as possible, < $400US I'm trying to...
  2. LightninBoy

Why you need a center channel and to buy your movies

I sat down to watch a horror flick the other night in my HT room (just a 5.1 but a nice system build around Revel F208, C208 speakers). I use a Roku device which is less than 2 years old. I had company over, so I ended up sitting on the end of the couch directly in front of the right main...
  3. LightninBoy

My son (21) just bought a Sony Walkman cassette player and he loves it

It is just so weird. Certainly my son is not the typical 20 something music consumer. He is a musician and listens and enjoys many different genres of music. He has Spotify, but still bought CDs from the bands he loved. But now he's raiding my stash of cassettes tapes and going to 2nd hand music...
  4. LightninBoy

Does this type of portable music player exist?

I'm looking for a product that may not exist. Basically, I want to get my elderly mom a product she can use to enjoy her music. The requirements are ... 1. Must be somewhat portable, to take between rooms or bring back and forth between home and cabin. 2. Must have built in speakers with decent...
  5. LightninBoy

Half of my Audioquest RCA interconnects failed

Just a PSA for folks ... Back when I was building out the HT room I bought some Audioquest RCA G-Snake interconnects as part of a package from an installer. I have no idea what they cost, I only remember thinking they seemed a bit more expensive than the pricey Monster stuff at Best Buy. This...
  6. LightninBoy

Speaker Cable questions

Well, I've been messing around with audio for many years. But I never gave 2 shits about speaker cables. I went with whatever I had and used bare wire termination mostly. So I have no idea about spade plugs, banana plugs, etc. Basically I'm clueless when it comes to speaker cables. Hence these...
  7. LightninBoy

The things we do for this hobby ...

As I noted here ... https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/yet-another-revel-f206-thread.18729/post-853986 I just recently purchased a pair of used Revel F208s and a C208. The full story behind this is interesting or sad depending on your perspective. I found these on USAM...
  8. LightninBoy

Why do my mixes sound like crap on DropBox, SoundCloud, etc?

The songs I mix sound like garbage when played back on SoundCloud and DropBox. I kind of understand why - the streaming sites apply lossy compression that is screwing with the sound - but this doesn't seem to affect pro mixed songs as much, at least as far as I can tell. So the pros must be...
  9. LightninBoy

I upgraded my computer CPU and other components. Now it sounds better. Why?

This is not to be taken seriously. I finally hit the limit with my old computer built in 2014, so I did a massive upgrade. Went from an AMD A10-7700 to an Intel I7-10700 (with new RAM and new motherboard). All the audio gear stayed the same: external DAC (Behringer UMC404HD), same speakers (JBL...
  10. LightninBoy

What was your best (and worst) audio purchase for the dollar?

There's been a lot of talk lately about the money we spend on our audio hobby, and I see a lot of people have bought a lot of stuff (no surprise on a forum like this). I thought it would be interesting to hear stories about stand out components you've purchased that have just knocked it out of...
  11. LightninBoy

What was your "humbling moment"?

You are young and successful. You've owned some gear, auditioned more at the high end dealers, read all of the articles. You think you know your shit and your ears are golden, maybe even platinum. Then it happens - you are proven so wrong about something that it shakes your faith in your ability...
  12. LightninBoy

A Message from a "Bass Head"

NOTE: the following is *NOT* to be taken too seriously. I’m not really mad about the term “bass head”, but the term encapsulates some audiophile misconceptions that I just need to push back on … I keep reading this phrase in the forum: "I'm not a bass head". Its typically said while explaining...
  13. LightninBoy

25th Anniversary of "Jagged Little Pill"

Hard to believe it was 25 years ago when Alanis Morissette released "Jagged Little Pill". It went on to be become the 2nd highest selling album by a female artist. Its production really stood out from other albums too. It was very, very dry for the times. If you really want to geek out over the...
  14. LightninBoy

Room/Speaker EQ Approaches: Parametric EQ settings vs Impulse/Convolution

Hi folks, I'm going to jump right to heart of the question. See below *Background* section for further background and context. In my research, I see two general approaches to taking room measurements in the context of a near-field room and speaker correction. And a few variations within: 1...
  15. LightninBoy

Headphones vs Speakers according to Secrets of HT

https://hometheaterhifi.com/editorial/oped/how-do-headphones-compare-to-speakers/ Some shaky info here. Secrets used to be so much better.
  16. LightninBoy

Help out a Luddite - How can I download the new Tool album in CD quality (at least)?

Ok, I admit it - I rarely stream. When I want to own a piece of music, I buy the CD and rip it to my own collection. The new Tool album has me flummoxed though. The CD comes with a ridiculous LCD screen and speaker and is selling for $165. Yikes. I can buy the album from Amazon Music - but...
  17. LightninBoy

Emotiva going to the dogs?

https://emotiva.com/products/airmotiv-sub-woofer?utm_campaign=True-Canine%E2%84%A2%20Subwoofer%20%28Hawke%29%20%28LCK65G%29&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Klaviyo&_ke=eyJrbF9lbWFpbCI6ICJ0YmFybmFieUBtc24uY29tIiwgImtsX2NvbXBhbnlfaWQiOiAiSnlkVlZSIn0%3D The Emotiva True-Canine ™ Subwoofer It’s been a...
  18. LightninBoy

Help me decide: Kali LP-6 vs JBL 306mkII

Application: casual listening, hobby mixing of original music. I was set on buying the Kali LP-6s, but I found some great deals on some used JBL 306mkII (note - not the 305) and can save $100 compared to the Kalis. Based on youtube vids (weak I know, but its all I got) it sounds like JBL...
Top Bottom