Search results

1. LightninBoy

Career advice

Software Professional here, and sometimes hiring manager. Fewer and fewer companies are requiring degrees period to hire for software jobs. You already have a degree (ME), so even if they do require a degree you have one. The CS part is totally learnable for free, night classes, or other formal...
  2. LightninBoy

Any Korean/Asian movies/series fans?

I am a huge fan of director Zhang Yimou. Checkout "Shadow", "Hero", "Raise the Red Lantern", "House of Fly Daggers". I personally won't make any generalized quality judgements regarding West vs East movies because of Survivor Bias. Remember, we in the West are mostly exposed to just the best of...
  3. LightninBoy

Yamaha r-n2000a loudness adjustment - does it adjust the mids?

Those Yamaha loudness controls are genius. I can't give you the specifics, but yes it would adjust the mid frequencies relative to the high and low frequencies. The way I was told to use it was to turn the volume up to where the music had the energy and slam I preferred, and if it that was too...
  4. LightninBoy

Oppenheimer

Nice writeup overall. I like the comparison to "There will be Blood".
  5. LightninBoy

Master Thread: Are measurements Everything or Nothing?

I've made this point a few times ... in my experience hifi is unique in its high level of subjectivity accepted in the equipment. Other hobbies I dabble in: video / HT, music recording, playing guitar, building computers, adult pinewood derby (don't ask). Of these, the only hobbies that even...
  6. LightninBoy

Do we crave distortion?

As an amateur music producer, let me add this perspective. Many mastering plugins (among many other plugin types) provide a THD control to add THD to the final recording. I find using it makes a big difference in making the final recording sound similar to pro commercial recordings of popular...
  7. LightninBoy

Assemble best budget system for under $2500 ?

I recommend buying a measuring mic and learning about bass management and room eq. And only buy other new equipment if it has the bass management or EQ capabilities you need to solve your bass problem.
  8. LightninBoy

AKG N700nc m2 Measurements

Aren't these the headphones Sean Olive says he uses for casual listening? I bought a pair of these a few years back when they were being coupled with a new samsung smart phone and everyone hated them because of connection issues. I think I paid $70. For some reason, I seem to always buy HPs...
  9. LightninBoy

The online coffee/espresso culture mirrors the subjectivist audio crowd.

You might say those espresso snob claims are ... ungrounded. Such snobbery really ... grinds me. Sorry those puns are really pour.
  10. LightninBoy

Crapware

I built a PC once with an ASUS motherboard. During the software install/driver update process, I carefully selected only the components needed trying to avoid the garbage software that comes with these. There was a selection name "DLLs" which indicates it contains required core libraries. I...
  11. LightninBoy

The Death of Windows 10

My hole family uses Windows 10 machines that I set up. I get no "support calls" other than occasionally needing to enter an admin password for software installs. Which I chalk up as a feature.
  12. LightninBoy

The Death of Windows 10

I use Windows 10 daily on multiple devices for work and home. I don't run into any of those problems. That's how I put up with it - there's nothing to put up with.
  13. LightninBoy

A Call For Humor!

14. LightninBoy

Skullcandy Grind Wireless Headphone Review

FYI, I just did a quick test with the headphones. I turned them on in wireless mode and connected with BT. Then I plugged in the wire. Result: the headphones immediately turned off.
  15. LightninBoy

Audiophiles, generally don't like class D amps!

Probably not, but as an ASR cohort myself I LOL'd
  16. LightninBoy

To be fair to amir, I bought these as backups so didn't need them right away and told him so when I sent them. Then I didn't think about them until my son busted his head phones a couple weeks ago.
  17. LightninBoy

These are mine. Thanks amir for the review. I've been conservatively touting these in the forum here for a long time but reserving full recommendation until I had the data. These are my workhorse headphones. They were originally a desperation purchase while traveling a few years back. With the...
  18. LightninBoy

Why are AVRs and AVPs so expensive?

I have similar suspicions. At the least it made ht even more of a niche market than it was before.
  19. LightninBoy

Please create a Monitor Speaker Review

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?pages/Reviews/ 1. Click "Speakers" 2. Click on Advanced search icon 3. Search for where "Speaker Type" contains "Monitor
Top Bottom