Search results

1. benanders

Legal fund for Reviewers/Erin?

If this line of speaker is still demo’ed at the next expo, will someone please request the “Happy Feet” OST be played through them?
  2. benanders

Do you care about speaker looks / appearance?

I seriously thought there was Arabic script at the bottom of that blue graphic (I cannot read Arabic). Enough backward-glancing from the seemingly-poorly-matched rights circle and I finally realized it was a case of “duck or rabbit,” “candlestick or two people facing each other.” Now I cannot...
  3. benanders

Do you care about speaker looks / appearance?

Yeah. Scaled for the world population, precious few hifi speakers would be considered financially attainable by “normal” people, if normal is to imply average (income). We still live in a world where many of the folks who work in the factories producing great kit scrutinized on websites like...
  4. benanders

What volume level do you use for classical music? Loud or quiet? What are your opinions regarding relaxation and volume?

Trying several different seats in an orchestral hall can be an eye ear-opener. Season tickets are great once you know your preferred area; they’re not all the same. IM(limited)E, front / center is louder and perhaps I can hear more “separation” of the nearer instruments with my untrained ears...
  5. benanders

What interesting and tasty cheese are you enjoying today? This is like the spirits thread but for cheese.

Finally an ASR thread my spouse will like more. That said,
  6. benanders

How good is bad? (Raspberry Pi 4B headphone output DAC review)

Is there any knowing whether the HP-out was dropped from RPi 5 due to power draw vs. perhaps the Foundation already being aware it was measurably problematic? If the HP-out was dropped bc of reasons other than measurement, I bet anyone from the Foundation seeing this review would think “Phew!!” :D
  7. benanders

Can anyone explain the vinyl renaissance?

Close - I also was led to think the main reason was simply for consistency in appearance. While vinyl was probably not often of recycled PVC in the 50’s and 60’s, plastic manufacturing wasn’t what it is today, either. Black would’ve been the most obvious pigment to make for uniform appearance in...
  8. benanders

Spin-o-rama for synthetic Bipole and Dipole speakers?

From a consistency standpoint, I worry interpretation of pref scores or (perhaps less so) graph curvatures could be inaccurate - depending on a given viewer’s level of experience and other factors. Standardization through the step of interpretation/inferences is key for this sort of thing, so...
  9. benanders

Newbie audio-lover here!

So your answer to my question whether you’ve used Edifier powered speakers in a small room is no? From your reply it seems like you’ve not heard a pair. Nah, that’s cool. Yours is prolly bigger. ;)
  10. benanders

Newbie audio-lover here!

Perhaps not the best option by one metric or another, but that comment is just pretentious. Given OP is still defining the use criteria, I will ask: have you ( @ZolaIII ) implemented this model of speaker in a room similar to OP’s? Recall, there is more to doing a hifi setup methodologically...
  11. benanders

Newbie audio-lover here!

There are surely options. “Pump the breaks” ;), read more, and disregard any opinionated posh remarks that disparage your consideration as a “toy.” Those kinds of comments don’t help anyone find their way more efficiently. You have options, and they needn’t exclude anyone else in your home from...
  12. benanders

Newbie audio-lover here!

I think the other suggestions may struggle to beat this one in what they deliver, given you’re at ~50% MSRP of the speakers, with all other items being “free” based on US prices (slightly cheaper in south China; I’ve no idea for India). Assuming the used speaker pair has not been abused in...
  13. benanders

Newbie audio-lover here!

Hi there. For your kind of music in a modest-sized room, that Edifier model is a strong solution that even your wife can use from her phone and (with some luck) enjoy playing music, too. Swan and HiVi seem to be of similar (powered) designs and may be worth consideration depending on what’s...
  14. benanders

Opening up a small boutique HiFi shop in retirement?

Oof, that had to be a record bad day for business. Thankfully no real physical safety issue past the broken glass. Still…
  15. benanders

Opening up a small boutique HiFi shop in retirement?

Great impressions and recollections, this thread. And my angle from a perspective rooted in both “kinds” of sales… Yes there are two versions depending on the sales floor - @Doodski gives quite a picture of commissioned sales - surely the historically popular version for moving high end...
  16. benanders

Why do passive speakers still exist?

I understand the actives’ extra power cable-argument if (1) tenancy’s in concrete walls building with highly limited outlet count and placement (definitely a thing some cities), and (2) for HT where height speakers need to have exposed wire runs and the penchant is for thin-as-possible cables...
  17. benanders

1 bit DAC launched by TOPPING

This Chinese speaker list seems on the short side, if only slightly. Is HiVi / Swan counted as being under Edifier? What about KEF? Seems like it’s Chinese now, despite Blades etc. still being made in England. Owned by a HKSAR company, which in turn is a subsidiary of another HKSAR company...
  18. benanders

End Game Speakers - The Quest Continues

Same. I am curious, @gnarly , (especially with regard to this pursuit of @MKR ): what are the boundaries made of - your 10/10 speaker room - floor/walls/ceiling? With the same effects achieved, I’m in a room that’s 100% 6” concrete (no windows) excepting the front wall (room-wide, floor to...
  19. benanders

HifiBerry DAC2 HD Review (Rpi HAT)

It would be better to compare with all non-DAC2 / Topping E50 components held constant: i.e., use only RPi 3 or 4, and ropieee xl for both setups. If we compare more than one thing (e.g. DAC2 vs. Topping E50) in a chain between only two trials, then the outcome is not only subjective, but also...
Top Bottom