Search results

1. Y

Dan Clark Stealth Review (State of the Art Headphone)

Have you done double blind testing ?
  2. Y

Funnily I have been working on 2 different masters the last 2 days, with issues exactly in that region. You'd be surprised at the deviations between recording engineers in that region ...
  3. Y

I think many underestimate the importance of distortion and resonances. As I wrote before, our 4 completely different HD650 (even volume is quite far off with one of them) sound broken when switching from our Aeon Noire2 headphones. I cannot even imagine the Stealth being even cleaner than this...
  4. Y

Which speakers are the Classical Music Pros using?

I know, but the percentage of classical discs that suffer from this is not that much lower than pop/rock IME. the resulting problem is the same, and often the mastering studios or setups are the same or similar. Some speakers just do not belong in a mastering studio. I have some bad experiences...
  5. Y

My conclusion would be : 1. many mastering studio have a flawed speaker/room interface 2. many mastering engineers have ear damaging or. 3. They just have plain bad taste and or give in to financial pressure. and then some younger radio stations still find the need to compress and brighten...
  6. Y

Every time I hear a loud bright master, I put a simple EQ and the recording actually sounds fine. I wish those B&W mastering rooms would vanish ... It is somewhere in this thread. The sheer stupidity of equipping the control room with "polite" speakers to compensate for the bright string sound...
  7. Y

The aeon 2 noire are very clean, transients are extremely natural for a bright headphone. Thd is very low. If you play music with good transients, the headphone will not at all be blunted nor damped.
  8. Y

The big distortion peaks at 200 Hz and 2000 Hz are a giveaway ?
  9. Y

If FR were the whole story, I could record an entire orchestra with sm57 mics and eq the hell out of it. In that list, Sennheiser hd650 score 84 without EQ. Next to my aeon 2 noires they Sound like a broken toy. interestingly the noires score 90, above the stealth ? Seems like a very unreliable...
  10. Y

The 432Hz debate

Concert tuning is between 442 and 444 these days … Mozart period instruments are mostly tuned at 430 Hz, even if the tuning was all over the place end of 18th. if I remember correctly, Steinway New York end of 19th century was around 450 or even 458 Hz. my colleague found a really nice end of...
  11. Y

Why do records sound so much better than digital?

I wonder if they exist. It is common knowledge that distorted sound sounds "louder". Logic dictates that a medium that adds more&more distortion as the (although limited) dynamic increases, it would give a louder impression on the loud parts. I often get the comment during soundchecks that the...
  12. Y

Are GIK Acoustic's Sound Blocks really a revolutionary concept?

I have nothing against DIY. My DIY polys are 35 euro each. They are quite big and dirt cheap. But again, how is data misleading when the tests have been done at a well established facility ? I admit, the website seems to be quite disfunctional (black friday updates ?), but I am 100% sure...
  13. Y

Are GIK Acoustic's Sound Blocks really a revolutionary concept?

I think you are being to harsh on GIK. I do not have any product of them, nor do I have any links. But I see posts by the owner of the company since more than a decade, and see their products and prices. the diffusers are questionable, but all the rest seems VERY cost effective. Before uttering...
  14. Y

More to the OP : https://www.realhd-audio.com/?p=78 some real world insights about tape… surely behaves like a “analogue” system, in the worst meaning of the word. I am happy I started out on 16 bit DAT ! We would record soft movements hot, to get extra resolution. Those were the days.
  15. Y

Interesting, thanks. It (the quote) then makes sence, as the Mola Mola dac has better than -140 dB of thd plus noise (maybe significantly, as it is the limit of measurement systems). That is awfully close to the point where you picked a number where analogue might become discrete. nice paradox !
  16. Y

I get your point, however, I feel mr Putzeys is not per se talking about the digital storage. I think he talks about digital behaving like analogue while designing eg. The Mola Mola dac, with thd below -140 dB, and almost inexistant jitter sensisivity, using NO off the shelve parts. It is a...
  17. Y

Wood acoustic diffusers have become a decorative item - loved the idea!

It is my understanding these deep QRD units can “ring” at certain frequencies. Anyway, i’m quite shure I already heard it happening myself. Personally I am a big fan of polycylindrical diffusers. They are easy to make and dirt cheap. I have measurements they even clean up 50Hz - 150 Hz for free...
  18. Y

One of those records that were really inspiring to me (us), is this one : Prokofiev: Cinderella for 2 pianos / Ravel: Ma Mère l'Oye Martha Argerich • Mikhail Pletnev Not perfect, but I really do like the recording (and certainly the playing !). Two pianos is much harder to get right than just one.
  19. Y

Funny, this love for vinyl. I love it too, when doing graphic work. Layout for LP is much more rewarding than a 14x12 cm box ! But knowing the recording side, and how extremely compromised contemporay vinyl mastering/pressing is, even low rate mp3 sounds better. (hang on to your vintage...
  20. Y

Importance of impulse response

Off topic I know, but that was exactly my point. A musical instrument does not excite a hall in an even way, hence it makes almost 0 sense do use a hall IR shot with a dodecahedron. Hall IRs for music production are not about measuring the hall, it is about the musical result. Even a Steinway D...
Top Bottom