Search results

1. Gomjab

Zoom F6 Portable Field Recorder Review

@amirm Did the Sound Devices mixpre ever get tested?
  2. Gomjab

Measurements of RME ADI-2 DAC and Headphone Amp

THIS! That is what I love about my ADI DAC and Pro. The auto setting is a great default for probably 90% of users. And for edge cases they give you the options to manually control things. I originally set mine manually and would over think things. Now I leave it on auto and just enjoy the...
  3. Gomjab

Headphone Measurements Using Brüel & Kjær 5128 HATS

If I used my IEMs more I’d go to an audiologist and get custom made tips for mine. I did find that one of the included silicon tips worked best for me but I still needed to shove them practically to my brain to get best seal. I think the advise you got earlier about taking some real time...
  4. Gomjab

I own both the Etymotic ER4SR as well as ER4XR and that is my experience getting them properly sealed in my own ears. And I have the advantage of a closed loop feedback system to help position them! The bass sounds fine when you get the good seal but otherwise sounds like crap.
  5. Gomjab

Wow that Afro Cuban All Stars link became the soundtrack for this evening’s web browsing! Very nice.
  6. Gomjab

What headphone(s) do you own ?

I’ve heard mixed reviews on the HD820’s. I would need to do some serious listening and comparison to my HD800s before spending that much. I’m looking at Neumann NDH20‘s as an option. The closed back would be for use at work or listening in bed when my wife is sleeping so doesn’t necessarily...
  7. Gomjab

I’m currently using them in balanced mode with my RME ADI-2 Pro FS R BE (what a mouthful!). The ADI-2 Pro was purchased for my home music studio to use for both recording and playback. Prior to that I used them with the 1st gen ADI-2 DAC. The performance of that DAC/amp combo is what made me...
  8. Gomjab

I have owned several brands over the years but my favorites have been Sennheiser starting with the HD600. I upgraded to the HD650 after they had been out quite a long time. I never tried the HD800 but ended up buying the HD800s a couple of years ago. My HD800s had a minor mechanical issue...
  9. Gomjab

Balanced Headphone Amplifier for RME ADI-2 DAC Recommendations

Catching up on this thread from last year. I just took advantage of Sweetwater’s 0% for 48 months to get the new RME ADI-2 PRO FSR. I plan to use it as a good quality ADC/DAC for my home studio. It has the advantage over the ADI-2 DAC of being able to drive my balanced headphones though that...
  10. Gomjab

Measurements of RME ADI-2 DAC and Headphone Amp

The irony being that the music they are listening to on their schitty amp in many cases was recorded using RME hardware as it is well regarded in studios.
  11. Gomjab

SMSL SU-8 Version 2 Balanced DAC

That and select exclusive mode. I have tried many players including the Bitperfect plugin but settled on Audirvana up until this year when I broke down and paid for a lifetime subscription to Roon. Audirvana is very nice. I also own a bunch of software plugins for recording (DAW) and...
  12. Gomjab

Apple has CoreAudio which is also capable of bit perfect performance. Here is a Roon FAQ talking about bit perfect on Macs. https://kb.roonlabs.com/Audio_On_OSX
  13. Gomjab

Review and Measurements of New JDS Labs Atom Headphone Amp

Not the Magni. It is their larger case designs like the Jotunheim that had grounding issues.
  14. Gomjab

Does DSD sound better than PCM?

You can find old ham radio operators that can pull very weak CW signals out from the noise as well. The question is would it be easier with DSD or PCM? o_O
  15. Gomjab

Temporary "fun" Amp?

I was going to highly recommend the Atom. Bummer that they are delayed. When I ordered mine a few weeks ago it shipped out the next day.
  16. Gomjab

You would get 122 dbSPL if the headphones are rated 98dB at 1mW. If the headphone rating is 98 dB at 1 V RMS the max output would be 106.75 dBSPL. [EDIT] I ran the numbers using a spreadsheet I have. Looking at your link I see that the website tool has a selection to identify the units. Which...
  17. Gomjab

Bad recording/master: it is a crime!!!

It sounds like analog playback of a digital recording.
  18. Gomjab

My unit from Massdrop with “10th Anniversary" markings was hardware version 1.2 and included firmware version 1.3 so you should be good.
  19. Gomjab

I guess I was lucky with my Magni 2 as the volume knob was quiet and balance was fine at my typical listening levels. I’ve found with the Atom on low gain I can leave volume knob fixed and back volume down with player if needed. This setup is at work and I have the Atom placed a bit out of...
  20. Gomjab

Too late. I lost my sanity long ago. o_O The Atom replaced a Schiit Jotunheim that Amir kindly tested recently. I am tempted to mount the Atom and a Khadas tone board inside the Jot case and send it back to Amir to test again on April 1st! :p
Top Bottom