Search results

1. Mr. Widget

Fallout on Amazon

Just saw the thread title and thought it was about the fallout from Amazon running ads... obviously not. Since Amazon's video quality was typically less than stellar I wasn't that much of a fan to begin with and I haven't watched anything on Amazon since they started running ads. Based on the...
  2. Mr. Widget

Horns - Necessary to complete the Audiophile Journey?

...and many, perhaps most audiophiles would agree with you. I think you have nailed it. In my opinion there is no truly accurate loudspeaker, but some get much closer than others and most horn speakers come up pretty short on the accuracy front. That said, we all have onboard computers that are...
  3. Mr. Widget

JBL S3900 replacement crossover help requested

Unfortunately my experience with JBL Consumer has been similar. It is a shame, because they used to have stellar service. Glad you discovered Speaker Exchange and also were able to sort out your speaker's issues.
  4. Mr. Widget

Serious Question: How can DAC's have a SOUND SIGNATURE if they measure as transparent? Are that many confused?

If you are just interested in people's subjective opinions here is one comparing ESS and BB... his opinion is the opposite of yours, but he does describe it in great detail and uses an interesting platform with which to make the comparison.
  5. Mr. Widget

Proposal: Right to Fair Review (RFR) Association

Very sorry to hear this... no one needs this!
  6. Mr. Widget

Proposal: Right to Fair Review (RFR) Association

Threats or actual court filings? Of course even though anyone can sue anyone for any matter, it is one thing to rant or even pay an attorney to send a letter and a far different thing to file a Complaint with a court. I assume the speaker manufacturer in question is simply ranting. That said...
  7. Mr. Widget

Andrew Jones MoFi Speakers

I guess as @nothingman said, beauty or the lack thereof is in the eye of the beholder. Maybe it is also generational? I don't consider the two original PointSource speakers to be stand mount, to me they are a take on the classic "bookshelf" design. Of course deploying them for the best...
  8. Mr. Widget

Andrew Jones MoFi Speakers

Aesthetically the original Source Point 10 (terrible name) had a hipster vintage vibe, and the smaller one carried that theme at an even more acceptable scale. Unfortunately this beast is just not pleasing to the eye... sure a loudspeaker is designed to be listened to, but whether they are...
  9. Mr. Widget

My New Album Released this Week

Thanks for the heads up... streaming it on Qobuz. Sounds wonderful.
  10. Mr. Widget

2024 Total Solar Eclipse

Here in Northern California it was imperceptible, but my solar panels noticed... apparently it passed us by at 11:05 this morning. Typically the output of our panels on a cloudless day like today would be roughly a parabola.
  11. Mr. Widget

Big Backyard Speaker Placement... and Line Array?

We do large backyard systems up to systems that cover many acres for some of our clients. Since you have neighbors, I would suggest you pepper the entire area with a dozen or more speakers and keep the volume down. If you place small outdoor cabinet style speakers like B&W AM-1s around the...
  12. Mr. Widget

Where are your neighbors, if any? Ideally you will contain the sound as best as possible within the desired area. If there are no neighbors for several miles then I would set up a pair of flown CBTs with bass modules and subs on teh ground below them. I would put them at the far right side of...
  13. Mr. Widget

Spending big bucks on HiFi Audio

I'll have to disagree with you here on both counts. 1. At speed wind causes your eyes to tear up and can be quite blinding. A well designed helmet does not obstruct your peripheral vision and can actually aid your vision. 2. While it may be counter intuitive, I know from personal experience...
  14. Mr. Widget

The quest for my hyper speaker - Very Large room dilemma

A couple of things here... first, I didn't realize you were referring to a micro LED video wall... I assumed a woven or perforated screen. You are right, dealing with micro LED walls are tough for audio. Meyer Sound has a solution that seems to work pretty well by bouncing the sound off the face...
  15. Mr. Widget

What interesting and tasty cheese are you enjoying today? This is like the spirits thread but for cheese.

Well, since you asked... just had a bit on this one tonight.
  16. Mr. Widget

Not sure about aspiring to those things, but I agree, I doubt most people care what clothes others are wearing or what is on their wrist. Not all deluxe items are for showing off or bragging rights. Personally I like exquisitely made objects and am glad they exist. I'm pretty sure no one on...
  17. Mr. Widget

You are correct about 3dB, but not per meter. The CBTs and all line arrays drop off at ~3dB doubling of the distance as opposed to point source loudspeakers that drop off at ~6dB per doubling of the distance.
  18. Mr. Widget

I had a project where we used a pair of JBL CBT 70J-1s with the companion woofer modules flown above a pair of weatherized JBL ASB7118s and the sound was stunningly good even over 150' away. We had a large Crown 4 channel amp with DSP which helped integrate the system. It was not inexpensive...
  19. Mr. Widget

Feel it in the chest track.

Oh, that takes me back... decades ago when Closer was a new release and I had a large pair of Sound Labs electrostats, I melted one of the HV transformers while playing that track turned up to 11. By the end of the track there is so much distortion going on I didn't realize the speakers were in...
  20. Mr. Widget

They were such a kick. Heck no they were not the last word in imaging or accuracy, but they were a heck of a lot more fun than most speakers that do image better and are more neutral. I enjoyed the hell out of them! As my father used to say, it is better to be lucky than smart. I was just...
Top Bottom