Search results

1. R

Master Thread: Are measurements Everything or Nothing?

I'm not moving the headphone or the mic at any time during this level matching. But given the amount of confusion my description has caused, yes - stick with the voltmeter.
  2. R

Canjam NYC is coming up. Would be cool to set something like that up.
  3. R

Fair enough, I understand this concern as well.
  4. R

I don't understand the concern. The mic is in the same exact position, near the headphone cup for both amps. What is moving in this scenario? Nothing is moving. I'm all for getting a voltmeter. I'm only saying this is still worthwhile as a first step, and can be illuminating. Not everyone has a...
  5. R

And that's ok, now you can move to precision volume matching methodologies. They are now in the game of validating their experience. The iPhone test is more of a initial screen, rather than something you would publish in a study haha. I personally could not tell amps apart while volume matching...
  6. R

Yes, check out this study. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32108336/ The headphone never needs to move. It's actually pretty simple.
  7. R

Yes, actually within .1 db. (At least according to the iPhone) The mic is surprisingly good. Try it, I think you'll be surprised. Is it enough to prove anything? No. But can be a useful first step for someone. Edit: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32108336/ I added a study outlining the...
  8. R

Ah, yes I should note that I performed this with headphones and simply placing my iPhone mic near the cup while playing a 1Khz tone from both amps until matched. Imperfect? Perhaps... but I could not tell any difference.
  9. R

I've literally set up a volume matched test with my iPhone in 2 minutes. It was actually really easy and got close enough to within fractions of a decibel. Like I said, these are preliminary. It's not that serious. Even with my iPhone, I was unable to tell the amps apart. It's a good start for...
  10. R

Yeah, exactly. I mean if you don't believe the person you're having these long extended debates with is acting in good faith and willing to try it, then what's the point of having the long winded discussion anyways? Those are the types who come here with long poetic essays about how they are...
  11. R

This is great, love the idea. While a perfectly valid test is rigorous and has all those considerations, I feel we should also encourage more preliminary imperfect testing methodologies. Do it single blinded, level matched via a mic, don't worry about anything else yet. Most amps spoken of...
  12. R

I see a lot of impassioned arguing here, bordering on rude and sometimes patronizing. We all strongly believe what we say to be the truth. I think as rational people, we could spend less time explaining and arguing with those like Bozon who come here with such claims. We should spend more time...
  13. R

Yes, such bravery to bring the same tired talking points which have been addressed ad nauseum. Bravery would be conducting a blind test and recording it. The amps are in different leagues. It should be easy to identify them blind. All this talk achieves nothing. Demonstrate it.
  14. R

Yes, I don't think one needs to go wild for an initial test. And if they did a decent job, then you can work on making it more rigorous with a third party observer, etc. The bar has been so low, no one has even attempted to record even a decent attempt at a blind test. Even if it's not double...
  15. R

There's a lot of back and forth and explaining around why you believe there are audible differences, and then our ASR crowd talking about scientific methodology, etc. I see this pretty simply. All we ask is that if the amp differences are so apparent, simply choose the most different amps you...
  16. R

Singxer SA-1 Review (Balanced Headphone Amp)

In the same vein, I'd like to know if it's possible to connect two headphones to the amp at once. Using 4.4 and XLR simultaneously, or even SE & XLR together. Would there be any negative repercussions?
  17. R

Passion for Sound performs a blind listening test

Kudos to him for being transparent with the results. A bit of hand waiving the results away though.
  18. R

Focal Clear Review (headphone)

Since we're talking food analogies, it reminds me of a restaurant here where I live in NYC called Minetta Tavern. They're known specifically for their black label burger. It's a large patty of high quality prime rib served with only caramelized onions and a bit of sauce. In previous decades...
  19. R

No issues with anything you said except too light for bass heads and harman lovers. I do really enjoy harman tuning and consider myself a bass head. I have other basshead pairs of headphones with more consumer friendly tuning for sure. My only point was I really enjoy the Focal clears as well...
  20. R

Yeah I'm not with the harman shaming, everyone is free to enjoy what they enjoy. The rest of what you wrote is kind of silly. I don't know anyone who has listened to both the HD560S and Clears who would take the HD560S. I can EQ my pair of Clears to harman levels of bass without issue. Re...
Top Bottom