Search results

1. DDF

Room EQ FAQ

Going down the rabbit hole of room EQ can be overwhelming and confusing, with critical hands-on information dispersed or hard to find. Here's a summary of targets and methods using REW, minimizing the fat and focusing on what's important. Olive/Toole (e.g. reference): Steady state room curves...
  2. DDF

Ending the Windows Audio Quality Debate

A debate has been long raging in the audio community that Windows isn't fit for use in a high resolution audio system. Sceptics counterargued that bits are bits and Windows audio degradations are a figment of an over-active audiophile imagination. I decided to investigate this as I kept...
  3. DDF

Considerations for designing a speaker cabinet with sim software (4 ohm Purifi 6.5 woofer target)

Taking full advantage of the Purifi's main benefits requires some unsavory trade offs: - TS parameters aim for extreme bass reach to take advantage of the very linear design. This requires very expensive passive radiators - As Purifi claim in this and this paper, its the IM distortion to watch...
  4. DDF

Focus on SINAD Gives Vendors Hiding Space

I brought this up in an earlier thread but wanted to raise up to start a conversation on it. I still wonder what all the focus on SINAD and THD/noise comes to? The measurements are very appreciated and great for filtering out complete junk, but reasonable vendors are now chasing meaninglessly...
  5. DDF

Adjustable buffers for directsound?

Audio pops and clicks to usb dacs can be caused by buffer under runs: the source is unable to service the asynchronous dac's request for more audio in time. ASIO drivers exist to adjust the length of the buffer to help avoid this: larger buffers provide more time for the source to service the...
  6. DDF

The Therapeutic Sounds of Science

In the pretty cool department: We often talk about using science to improve the quality of experience, and it seems marine biologists are taking this to a whole new level...
  7. DDF

ESI U24XL or NUC with SPDIF Input as MiniDSP SHD Alternative

After a great deal of research, it seem's that there's a scarcity of user friendly options for a system that can handle different inputs (analog phono pre, coax, chromecast optical, USB HD, NAS, streaming) and run it through a single ultra high quality audio infrastructure for basic room EQ. It...
  8. DDF

Measurements of (original) Gilmore Lite

The Gilmore Lite is a classic headphone Amp designed by Kevin Gilmore. This unit was purchased in 2007, with gain set at the lowest value Headamp would deliver (6 dB) without stability risks, to provide more usable volume range (the pot tends to mistrack at the very lowest volumes). Its served...
  9. DDF

Nuprime IDA-8 DAC measurements

Courtesy of a kind loan from a local DIYer, I had some bench time with an RTX6001. https://www.virtins.com/RTX6001.shtml I used it to measure a Nuprime IDA-8 DAC and pre-amp section since no test results exist on line for this product and its received some glowing reviews from the audio press...
Top Bottom