Search results

1. Ultrasonic

Minidsp SHD Review Updated (DSP, DAC & Streamer)

@Orca5 did you possibly mean to ask a question?
  2. Ultrasonic

You didn't actually answer my question but I'll take that as a no :). The DSD context obviously gives you a reason to do things as you do. If you do only need 2 output channels (you haven't said) then I'd encourage you to at least give the alternative a try just in case you felt there was an...
  3. Ultrasonic

Have you compared doing this to sending the digital output to your Gustard DAC instead? This would seem more logical, unless you need the 4 output channels rather than two. (In my own system I use an SMSL VMV D1se DAC connected to the digital outputs of my SHD for the main speaker signals, with...
  4. Ultrasonic

You can use digital output on the SHD and so not use its internal DAC. Volume control is all done in the digital domain so there is nothing to bypass in this regard. There is an all digital SHD Studio model but it doesn't have an analogue input (with ADC). You could use an external ADC if you...
  5. Ultrasonic

SMSL D1SE Balanced ES9038PRO

I'm sure this was posted earlier in this thread but the following shows the excellent measured performance of the D1SE: https://goldensound.audio/2021/12/27/smsl-d1se-measurements/
  6. Ultrasonic

SMSL SU-8 Version 2 Balanced DAC

I haven't used mine for ages either. I really should have sold it by now but I am useless at getting round to such things!
  7. Ultrasonic

SMSL SU-8 Version 2 Balanced DAC

There's an option in the menu to change these, just have a poke around. Best to listen for yourself rather than have comments from others prejudice what you think.
  8. Ultrasonic

Why do passive speakers still exist?

The Revels were the long list of one example I referred to in my last post. I see you're now suggesting another in those Emotivas.
  9. Ultrasonic

To weigh in against your extensive list of, err, one passive example (of a rather small floorstanding model)? I have heard some Canton actives in your price range that I subjectively liked but I've not seen any measured data for them and so couldn't offer them up in response to your original...
  10. Ultrasonic

Not especially. Note my speakers are stated with the rest of my setup in the signature of my posts. If you're reading on a phone and not seeing this, rotate your phone to landscape view. My comment covers experience with other systems, not just my own current one. Also note my point about it...
  11. Ultrasonic

Plenty of passive speaker systems have audible hiss close to the tweeters. Mine does. It's not audible at the listening position though and so no issue.
  12. Ultrasonic

Why necessarily active rather than powered? I also think we need to distinguish between a typical consumer and those with a particular interest in sound reproduction quality.
  13. Ultrasonic

Baby boomers are 58-76 now for what it's worth. I can believe you're right that younger buyers may be more likely to go the powered speaker route (not necessarily active). (For context I'm 46 and my main speakers are passive. Active speakers appeal though and I have a pair of Edifier S300 Pros...
  14. Ultrasonic

You may want to expand on that if you want everyone to understand... I certainly have no idea what 'point' you may have been trying to convey.
  15. Ultrasonic

Although actually, I suppose active designs will typically have more amplification channels and I suppose that in turn could likely lead to typically higher idle power use...
  16. Ultrasonic

Actually yes you're right, I hadn't read what you wrote as carefully as I should have. I think we are now though at the point of discounting your original point I responded to re. active speakers generally using more power at idle than passive speakers or amps. In both cases it comes down to the...
  17. Ultrasonic

No, that's not a legitimate comparison. A passive speaker at idle uses the power of the power amp driving it at idle (mine uses 30 W). Or you compare having the active speaker switched off to the amplifier powering the passive speakers switched off, both of which will use no power. If anything...
  18. Ultrasonic

What exact model are those speakers you had in mind? And do you know of any others or is this possibly it? I'm asking as I really think decent floorstanding speakers at the price are pretty rare these days. I don't recall ever hearing any revel speakers for what it's worth. They're not very...
  19. Ultrasonic

Do you have some comparisons in mind? I'm wondering why this should be the case?
  20. Ultrasonic

For comparison, what passive speakers, amp and streamer would you suggest for the same budget? Just thinking this may not be quite the 'Achille's heel' you're suggesting...
Top Bottom