Search results

1. ocinn

(Unofficial) Topping D50 III DAC review and measurements

Well this is just further proof that the DAC problem is solved. Every few weeks we get a cheaper and cheaper product, which manages essentially state-of-the-art performance Still waiting for the day that topping/smsl/fosi/etc release a MiniDSP Flex competitor. Would love to see this level of...
  2. ocinn

PK Sound steerable sound arrays

Hi, pro live sound guy here. The PK stuff is a "solution" to a problem which doesn't really exist in the real world. Array splay angles are calculated with prediction models. If you need to adjust array splay angles after they are hung, you probably should pursue a different career. Adjustable...
  3. ocinn

Fosi Audio V3 Mono Amplifier Review

Essentially the same gain (0.64db more on the Fosi). Must be something else. 3E has much better load dependency, multitone, two tone multi, significantly better power:THD-N behavior, much better freq:power plot, and better reactive load performance. If only they offered them in a pre-built...
  4. ocinn

Questions about AoE

I use generic XLR to Ethernet boxes to send 2in 2out AES3 (pro version of spdif coax, like rca vs XLR) streams over 100ft cat5 passively without a hiccup. Digital audio is much more resilient than most people realize.
  5. ocinn

Fosi Audio V3 Mono Amplifier Review

Amazing, however still handily beat by the 3E audio boards as measured. Wonder what the 3E guys know that fosi does not yet.
  6. ocinn

PA DSP Options Mixer Vs DBX PA2

If it doesn’t obscure sight lines (I.e if the “stage” is elevated, so the stacked subs wouldn't block the view of the DJ/Performer/etc...) directly in the center between the mains (on stands). If for this particular event your system is set in stone, and will consist of 2x pole mount speakers...
  7. ocinn

You shouldn’t do cardioid with only two subwoofers. You want a 2:1 (3 boxes) or 3:1 (4 boxes) ratio of forward:cardioid. Any less and you are sacrificing efficiency. You could do an endfire with only two boxes, to achieve a similar effect but without the efficiency drawback, but unless the...
  8. ocinn

Sorry, I should have been more clear, I consider the subs and the mains to be the "basic LR pair” since the QSCs include hi-pass/low-pass true 2 way crossover. Even if they didn’t, it may be a bit inconvenient, but you can achieve a basic 2 way crossover in the mixer. I wouldn’t go further...
  9. ocinn

Hi, Live Systems Engineer here, If you are only deploying a basic full-range LR pair, the mixer will be fine, as all you need is a a basic compressor/limiter and EQ. The second you add subwoofers, fill speakers, etc.., you will want outboard DSP for routing and control, to handle crossover...
  10. ocinn

WiiM Amp Streaming Amplifier Review

Example: if you are 90deg out of phase at the acoustic crossover point, inverting phase will make no difference (now you are -90). Delay and phase are both crucial to proper sub integration. I use both often. SMAART doesn’t lie.
  11. ocinn

JBL Conceal C83 Invisible Speaker Review

I know nothing about products like these, but I have to assume that any filler/paint over the front surface will seriously affect the performance. Is the front baffle/mesh/cover a hydrophobic weave or something to allow small holes for sound to pass thru or is it truly intended to be...
  12. ocinn

AIYIMA A70 Stereo Amplifier Review

Low passed subwoofer outputs are completely pointless considering every powered subwoofer already includes a low-pass. I wish these manufacturers would instead implement an accurate high-pass filter to the amplifier outputs and a full range “preamp” output to drive a powered sub, which allows...
  13. ocinn

Mytek Brooklyn Bridge II Streamer Review

Would appreciate a photo input and analog line input measurements performed in the future on products like these. Obviously this one is a lost cause and I don’t think anyone will be purchasing it that reads this review, but it would be nice to consistently have that data for other products in...
  14. ocinn

Alcons?

In live sound, which is their main scope, and also in high output pro studio use (as mid/far-field monitors), yes absolutely. In my circles (live audio engineers), it is common knowledge that the limiting factor in usable clean output is generally set by the compression drivers distortion wall...
  15. ocinn

Damn this is really embarrassing for me. :facepalm: When I was a little kid my parents stopped doing Easter with me because I would stare directly at a bright pink egg surrounded by green grass and not be able to see it. Apparently I haven’t changed much since then since I completely missed...
  16. ocinn

Like I said, I may be wrong, however I cannot find any mention of it in the manual. Also, googling “wiim high-pass” shows many recent forum posts highlighting the missing feature. Their official subwoofer guide for this product also has zero mention of high-pass and essentially suggests you...
  17. ocinn

Yamaha R-S202 Receiver Review

Might feel clunky to a general consumer, but it’s 100% possible to get 4ch of DSP, and 2ch of competent amplification for $200. Thomman T.racks 4x4 Mini - $100 Fosi V3 48v - $100
  18. ocinn

I may be completely wrong, but from my understanding of reading the manual and website, this does not have a high-pass/proper 2-way crossover for the speaker outputs, and the DSP functionality is system-global (i.e the main and subs are processed together, so using filters to do the high pass on...
  19. ocinn

It’s 2024 and amplifiers are still being released with low pass subwoofer outputs but no high-pass switch, at minimum, for the mains. Very disappointing.
  20. ocinn

Polk ES60 Tower Speaker Review

Port plugging is one of my favorite “mods” to do on cheap speakers. If you have a subwoofer(s), 99% if the time (in my experience), it improves things It’s the perfect intermediate between doing nothing (in which case you probably shouldn’t be in this hobby), and actually re-fabricating parts...
Top Bottom