Search results

1. I

ANC headphones are becoming worse or are at least stagnating since 8 years (proof(?) inside)

I just took a look at the Rtings info for a handful of these, and it's pretty clear that - at least for the Sony WF-1000XM series, they've improved substantially with every release. And that more or less matches my anecdotal evidence, having owned the WF-1000 XM3, XM4 and XM5. According to the...
  2. I

Schiit Modius E DAC Review

Err, are you sure you're looking at the right piece of equipment? Mine seems to work fine when scrubbing around videos (including youtube), and I don't even think there are any relays in the Modius. I suspect it might be whatever headphone amp they're using, or something else entirely. I use a...
  3. I

Status Audio CB-1 Headphone Review

I suppose I'm just worried that it might not be audible, and then it might not be worth EQ'ing. If it is audible, then we should definitely EQ that part.
  4. I

Status Audio CB-1 Headphone Review

Do you actually hear that peak around 5.7khz if you run a sweep with these headphones on your ears?
  5. I

Crown Xti4002 Pro Stereo Amplifier Review

It depends on quite a lot, actually. If that's 71dB dominated by noise, probably very few stages (one or two stages -depending on the exact component mix- with sensitive speakers). For comparison, I can hear the noise floor of my THX Onyx with very sensitive IEMs in a dead quiet room. If that...
  6. I

Crown Xti4002 Pro Stereo Amplifier Review

I expect I could hear the noise floor on this thing with any speakers I own, though I spend most of my speaker listening time a meter away from the drivers. I wouldn't hold it against this amp though, personally. I rarely need more than ten watts and maybe 100 watts per channel at the absolute...
  7. I

New headphones

Good to know. I was basing myself on the fact that their published graphs are fairly similar, except for a difference in the bass. Admittedly, that would make a noticeable difference (though maybe the filters help get the sound where they want it). I just wish the Edition XS were more...
  8. I

New headphones

Speaking purely on sound quality, I agree with you. Its just that they're the least comfortable headphones I've ever worn. Might I suggest a pair of DCA Drop Open X? They're quite comfortable and sound good. Well, my Closed X sound nice, i assume the open X are similar. The filters that come...
  9. I

Pro-ject Phono Box MM Review

Not to derail this thread too much, but that measurement on the laptop there... is that a measurement of your listening set-up? Back on topic-ish), Vinyl is cheaper than tape though, and you can always use it as a Frisbee if you don't like it. Of course, plenty of vinyl hardware is...
  10. I

Dan Clark Audio AEON 2 Noire Review

Sorry, those were just super quick tests with a MiniDSP EARS and the default bass IMD tone (41Hz and 89Hz 1:1 at roughly 100dB, not a sweep). I couldn't decide on a single frequency to define bass, so i picked multiple. :)] THD+N obviously means nothing on those because the noise is irrelevant...
  11. I

Perhaps different DCA headphones come with different sets, though that would be odd. The Closed X came with two sets of white felt, one set of black felt and one set of black foam, like the set on the DCA shop.
  12. I

Nice graphs, those are. Is there any chance you could provide some for the DCA closed X? You know, i wasn't sure i'd call the bass on the 560S "the best", so i decided to mess around a little in REW. Here's IMD in the bass with the HD560S, somewhere around 100dB. If i had to guess, i'd say...
  13. I

Are they any harder to drive than the DCA closed X? I usually use those with a THX 789, so i obviously don't want for power. But sometimes, i power them with a Schiit Valhalla 2. From memory, that thing fails to put out more than a handful of milliwatts. It works fine, though i don't crank the...
  14. I

Right, but that costs more than my DAC, 2 different headphone amps and one of my decent pairs of headphones combined. Good audio doesn't require tons of money. I can't use the RME at work, either, and i sometimes spend ten hours listening to music at work in one day. I use all sorts of audio...
  15. I

That's a bit of a shame, i really like them on my Closed X. I would have though that it would increase appeal to a wider audience rather than reduce it. That's not fair to say. Most people, i would think, don't use EQ at all. I like the filters on my DCA Closed X because i use them with...
  16. I

I disagree. From my testing, my DCA Closed X headphones have distortion below -70dBFS at 100dB output. I don't think i've heard of numbers like that on any dynamic driver. In fact, it's possible that that's the distortion of my MiniDSP EARS microphones. I think the closest i've got with any...
  17. I

Schiit Loki Mini+ Equalizer Review

I'm not sure I'm a fan of the visual design on them, but I'd have bought a cheap 2-watt tube amp if I came across one. I own three of them now, if I include a Vali that came with my Loki Mini. Another is from the 50s or 60s, can't remember off the top of my head. There's no real harm in using...
  18. I

You know, that's not too far off the "flat tilt" that a few people have talked about so far. It's a heck of a lot more expensive than the loki though, and is spec'd with a much higher noise floor. (Noise at -80dB but hum at -62dB? Wat) The price is impressively high though. I took a look at...
  19. I

I believe you are mistaken about what your testing software did, then. Your measurements run counter to the bulk of the evidence available from numerous sources and go against what one could possibly expect from analog hardware. You have the greater reputation compared to any individual source...
  20. I

I believe he's writing that -more or less- because that's precisely the definition of a reference frequency. On your graph, anything higher in amplitude than the reference frequency will be above the zero dB line. Anything lower amplitude than the reference frequency will be below zero dB on...
Top Bottom