Search results

1. A

ATC speakers / Monitors

Did you notice the amount of acoustic treatment in the Atmos mixing room shown in this video? This is a room more dead than anything else I saw in studios. Controlled directivity in speakers is irrelevant for this room.
  2. A

ATC speakers / Monitors

There are no more than a handful of them. Even less can do it with price below $100K where even the most expensive ATC speakers are.
  3. A

Which speakers/setup for ride cymbals

There is a technical limitation in reproduction. There are not many speakers capable to produce over 120dB of sound pressure. And even that is likely 10dB lower than real drum makes. Whoever does mixing and mastering, tune sound to gear what 99% of listeners use, not main studio monitors.
  4. A

I tried to listen both of these tracks. I do not use Tidal, but found them on Qobuz. There they only available at CD quality and thus suffer from limited frequency response and too much compression. They sound Ok, but nothing exceptional in terms of percussion reproduction.
  5. A

Kef Blade Meta and Genelec discussion

And this is your problem: shared listening space (living room) cannot be made suitable for critical listening by reasonable means. At best you will be able to make it acceptable for TV sound and casual listening of music. If you want to enjoy music in all its glory - you need to have a dedicated...
  6. A

There are several things needed to properly reproduce high percussion like ride cymbals. 1. Speaker should not have resonance in tweeter up to at least 30kHz. Ribbon tweeters are like this. Some fabric domes will still work. Most metal diaphragm tweeters should be excluded. Speaker should be...
  7. A

ATC speakers / Monitors

This seems to be a toolkit for analysis of drivers behavior and rather advanced one. https://www.klippel.de/fileadmin/klippel/Files/Brochures/R_D_Brochure.pdf Considering that ATC primarily specializes in driver development, it makes most sense to them.
  8. A

ATC speakers / Monitors

Then real people hear Neumann then ATC and choose ATC, even if they cost almost twice as much. Technical reports are just a starting point to weed out really bad designs and get device on short list for subjective evaluation. Technical reports for three way ATC do not show any obvious flaws. My...
  9. A

ATC speakers / Monitors

Not exactly. In the studio on photo they turned mid-/twitter module upside-down too. This will alter the vertical pattern significantly. It would make more sense to keep original orientation intact - in that case you just deal with inversion of vertical radiation pattern, not change of it. I...
  10. A

ATC speakers / Monitors

SCM150A is listed at $23000. Thus similar percent of price difference between brands. This all comes to preference - which sound do you like more. Both will likely do excellent job as main monitors. Though I would expect electronics inside ATC to be more repairable in the long term (linear...
  11. A

ATC speakers / Monitors

Genelec 1237 is roughly equivalent to ATC 50A. Genelecs are sold for almost $12000 and require another $1400 to use their calibration feature, while ATC asks $17500, though requires separate processor for calibration (anything that runs Dirac Live will fit). The price difference is there, but...
  12. A

ATC speakers / Monitors

Every time I go to audio show, it takes me less than a minute to decide if speakers playing in the room are not good for me or they are worth to spend some time to listen. And most speakers sound different. Over time I learned how to identify specific speaker design pattern based on listening...
  13. A

What is the bass extension to go for when buying new speakers ?

85dB sound level is NOTHING for deep bass, this is whispering level. You need to look at at least 105dB of sound pressure (and distortion at that level).
  14. A

What is the bass extension to go for when buying new speakers ?

Speakers other than very big ones do not do well in bass range. Generally it is better to cross stand mount speakers at 80Hz and floor standing at 50-60Hz. That way you let the subwoofer do most job, which is what they are designed for. Just make sure that you not only use low pass filter for...
  15. A

ATC speakers / Monitors

They would not be able to operate that way if they did not make almost all components in house.
  16. A

ATC speakers / Monitors

ATC does not make speakers to fill the storage. They adjust production numbers based on demand. Actually their large speakers (50 and up) were always made on order and buyer had to wait from few weeks to few months for them to be manufactured.
  17. A

ATC speakers / Monitors

Well, Wilson asks $10000 for even smaller 2 way.
  18. A

ATC speakers / Monitors

I do not see the good reason to have DSP embedded into speaker. What does make sense is to have DSP for custom integration, when room is built from scratch with drivers (not speakers) installed in walls at various locations, all connected to DSP which controls each driver IN THE ROOM...
  19. A

ATC speakers / Monitors

Large ATC speakers only need correction in bass area, where room modes play the role. Anything above 400Hz is better left alone as-is. With my SCM100A and Dirac Live, I applied curtain at 380Hz crossover point. It sounds subjectively more correct than attempt for full range correction. I am now...
  20. A

Question on subwoofers big company vs small companies

Neither of these two specializes on subwoofers.
Top Bottom