Search results

1. T

CD player measurements?

Just wondering if anyone knows of any links to cd player measurements, specifically regarding jitter.
  2. T

An EQ Experiment in my listening room

Hey guys, I've spent a lot of time Optimizing my Speaker Positioning using REW and after weeks of tweaking my current set-up has the following psychoacoustically smoothed frequency response at the listening position as measured by a Umik-1 microphone: As you can see I've got a...
  3. T

Time vs Intensity Image Stability Experiment

For those who can add a computer as a source, can you please try this experiment and report back. Recently I was told that sound images placed using level-difference are more "stable" (less prone to shift as you move around relative to your speakers) than images places via time-difference...
  4. T

The Physics of 3-D Soundstage

Here's a physics fact: the intended 3-dimensional stereo soundstage is ONLY possible along the center line between precisely placed stereo speakers. Here’s why: Stereo reproduction uses either time-of-arrival delay or intensity-difference (volume difference) between channels to place sound at...
  5. T

Stereophonic Recording Technique Examples

Does anyone know any specific examples of which stereo recording techniques were used in a particular recording? I specifically want to listen to: 1.) a recording which used A-B time-of-arrival stereophony 2.) a recording which used X-Y intensity stereophony 3.) a recording which used mixed...
  6. T

Optimizing Speaker Placement and Listening Position using REW

Hey everyone, Last night I hooked up my Macbook Pro to my Hegel h390 integrated amp and ran frequency sweeps in REW to determine the best placement of my Monitor Audio gx300's in my listening room. It's super easy to do and really helped me nail the perfect placement in my room resulting in...
  7. T

Why do album mixers use limiters to crush dynamics?

Does anyone know why they overuse the limiter to crush the dynamics and raise the perceived loudness of certain recordings? Adele 21 comes to mind. On a good stereo the mix of that album is unlistenable. It’s strident and there’s no separation between Adele’s voice, the instruments, and the...
  8. T

DAC blind ABX test results: Hegel h390 internal DAC vs Chord Hugo TT2

Hey guys I was lucky enough to be leant a Chord Hugo TT2 to blind test in my system. I still have it in my room so the testing is ongoing as I get more people around who want to listen. SET-UP: I have the Chord on a side table to the left of my Hegel h390 and beneath my Auralic Aries G1...
  9. T

DAC blind tests? EVER?

I’ve been searching near and far via google and can’t find any blind abx tests done on DACs with statistically significant results favoring one DAC over another. Does anyone know of any? If so can you please paste a link. If one DAC can significantly improve sound quality of my 2-channel...
  10. T

DAC blind ABX in-home test: Hegel h390 internal DAC vs Mytek Manhatten ii DAC

Here's my experience from yesterday, take from it what you will: My local hi-fi dealer was kind enough to lend me a Mytek Manhattan ii DAC (retail ~$10k NZD) which I set up to do a reasonably controlled blind ABX test against the internal DAC in my Hegel h390 integrated amp in my home listening...
  11. T

In-home DAC blind abx test results: Hegel h390 DAC vs Mytek Manhatten ii DAC

Here's my experience from yesterday, take from it what you will: My local hi-fi dealer was kind enough to lend me a Mytek Manhattan ii DAC (retail ~$10k NZD) which I set up to do a reasonably controlled blind ABX test against the internal DAC in my Hegel h390 integrated amp in my home listening...
  12. T

Can a DAC improve soundstage, depth, separation?

Let me preface by saying I'm a physics teacher and lifelong audiophile in my years of listening I have found speaker placement, toe-in, and rake are the single most important factors in nailing a 3-dimensional sound stage. When listening to a great recording I love the feeling of being INSIDE...
Top Bottom