Search results

1. L

Can anyone explain the vinyl renaissance?

Not sure why it would irritate anyone but there are LP's that have a unique masterings that is different from later digital releases that some may prefer. In addition, even if not preferred, older original LP releases can have a different sound that some find interesting for historical and...
  2. L

Maybe a good use of AI?
  3. L

For $370K at least it is remote controlled and automatic. I was really surprised how long it took this thing to get up to speed. The old Technics DD's used in radio stations would spin up to speed in a fraction of one rotation so you could drop the stylus with the TT stopped and then start it...
  4. L

Does Phase Distortion/Shift Matter in Audio? (no*)

Thanks for a great post and great links. Do you have a preference for one of these combinations? Do other people that got to listen to this in the room have a consistent preference?
  5. L

If the speakers are "good" anechoic (FR, directivity, etc) then room EQ should not be much more than knocking down the peaks below Schroeder at the LP. At least that is a good and safe place to start.
  6. L

FR issues are much more audible than phase issues (outside of some pathologic edge cases) so proper room EQ is going to be a net positive. Since there are free tools you can try EQ for your self with and without phase corrections.
  7. L

Thank you @j_j , it is great to get good information on subjects like this where there is a lot of well meaning but often times incorrect information existing. I have a question about FIR filter taps. Is there a rule of thumb for how many are required in a crossover application? I know more...
  8. L

I am in the middle of this and the answers are long and there is more than one approach. I am very much in agreement with @KSTR approach but not everyone is. Regarding Mini DSP vs Camilla I would say Mini DSP is much easier to learn and use but the computer power is very limited compared to a...
  9. L

McIntosh Transformer causing noise in speakers while disconnected.

Ground loops are a simple concept but can manifest in ways that hard to understand and isolate. Part of the problem is some modern devices have digital grounds seperate from video grounds seperate from audio grounds and then floating vs grounded on different devices. I have had some luck...
  10. L

Yes, still sounds like a ground loop to me ... you don't need cable or satellite to create a ground loop but they tend to make it worse. Jensen also makes "real" RCA to XLR transformer based adapters which provide galvanic isolation between components. You may be able to get it to work without...
  11. L

Sounds like a ground loop. The best solution is using balanced interconnects but I don't think that is possible in your situation with your current equipment. I have had similar issues and you can try a lot of things but when you are mixing anything connected to cable TV or Satellite with...
  12. L

Break from Tekton Thread

It has been a cool and damp spring in Southern California so normal planting times have gotten pushed back a couple of weeks but this weekend I am going to be planting tomatoes, peppers, zuchini, melons, and more in my garden.
  13. L

Tekton M-Lore Speaker Review

If this is the result of Mr. Alexander's actions with Erin and @amirm and other independent reviewers watching this train wreck then I think Mr. Alexander has been successful in accomplishing what he set out to do.
  14. L

I think the reason he pulled the speakers is an attempt to "create/ show damages" for his lawsuit.
  15. L

What exactly are you seeking?
  16. L

Great "live performance" recordings? (any genre)

Sinatra at the Sands is great. Another Stoney Evening : Crosby and Nash Live at Massey Hall: Neil Young MTV unplugged: Most are great. Favorites Nirvana, Alice in Chains, Eric Clapton, Mariah Carey, Paul McCartney, Aerosmith (Bootleg)
  17. L

UMIK-1 or any USB MIC unsuitable for timing measurements?

I am definately noticing ripples similar to the red plots. Is the difference reflections or damped vibrations?
  18. L

The picture looks like what I have. In the picture the boom is at about a 45 degree angle. The boom can be "horizontal" / 0 degrees or "vertical" / 90 degrees. Which is preferred?
  19. L

Playing around with my new Mic and some practice nearfield measurements I notice some issues due to reflections from the Mic and or Mic holder. I have one of those cheap Mic holders from Amazon but it is pretty flexible in the ways that it can be configured. What is the "best" or "ideal" way...
  20. L

While the UMIK-1 and 2 are individually calibrated that does not mean they are going to be "reference" Mic's. Looking at this example https://www.mtg-designs.com/tips-tricks-tests/measurement-mic-tests/fr-mic-compare it looks like while the calibration files "help" they are not perfect and not...
Top Bottom