Search results

1. Doobrey

Which gauge?

I have the Wharfedale diamond 12.4 speakers and Arcam SA20 amplifier Speakers 8-4ohm / 88db sensitivity Amp 90watts 8ohm / 150watts 4ohm For a 4 meter length pair of cables would 14awg be enough or do I need 12awg? I wouldn’t want to “restrict” the sound.
  2. Doobrey

Measurements and sibilance

I have noticed with a few different dacs I own and tried that some seem to exaggerate or dull sibilance. It’s made me wonder what’s going on to cause this issue, is it as simple as the digital filter type or is there something deeper within the measurements that would make sibilance such an...
  3. Doobrey

Help me understand this crossover

I’m considering purchasing a Wharfedale diamond 12.3 which has has 2.5 way design. https://www.wharfedale.co.uk/diamond-12-3/ What are the benefits of this 2.5 way over the 12.2’s 2 way? Is it only adding bass quantity or does it result in a clearer mid range? Thank you in advance
  4. Doobrey

What actually is apodizing?

My Arcam SA20 with ESS9038 has many filter options and the default is set at apodizing linear phase, not knowing what this is I read up on it a little bit and found this “Apodizing filters are generally used to correct/reduce errors in the source data, introduced by the ADC digital decimation...
  5. Doobrey

Filter quality

Do DAC filters have an impact on how we perceive treble quality? For example would a filter with poor attention let in more aliasing and create a harsher sound?
  6. Doobrey

Help me understand

My Audiolab 6000CDT has 2 digital outputs, optical and coax. It states that the coaxial output is fed from a differential line driver, what does this mean exactly and does it make it a better output than optical?
  7. Doobrey

Capacitor question

How do I tell if an electrolytic capacitor is polar or non polar by eye? I want to replace some caps in a headphone amplifier and I know someone who can do the soldering for me but I’m struggling to identify what parts I need. So far I’ve totalled up the amount of caps needed and their values.
  8. Doobrey

What type of filter is this?

My Cambridge Audio amplifier implements a wolfson DAC using a 2 pole Butterworth filter, i have never heard of it before with it not being named like what we see with linear, minimum etc. I have looked around online and I am not really sure what it is exactly. If anyone could help me understand...
  9. Doobrey

Chord mojo 2 volume lossless?

I’ve been having issues lately with my new amplifier (NAD C316BEE v2) any source with fixed volume I plug in is too loud and can’t go past 9 on the dial without attenuators. A friend has let me use his mojo 2 for a while and it has adjustable volume so now I have a huge range to work with and...
  10. Doobrey

Inline attenuator detrimental to sound quality?

Any DAC that I have tried for my NAD C316BEE amplifier is too hot, volume can't be moved past 8-9 o'clock so for my current DAC Modi 3E I purchased the Rothwell RCA attenuators (-20db) and that lets me play with the volume up to about 12-1 on the dial. The problem is I think it has a degrading...
Top Bottom