Search results

1. M

Genelec 8010A Powered Studio Monitor Review

I have these and whilst they are very SPL limited, tonally they are very similar to the other higher Genelec models (I have 8030c and 8350a). With a subwoofer, crossed 120hz or above, they can get to comfortable levels in the nearfield, push them and they become very distorted, but this is to be...
  2. M

Tekton M-Lore Speaker Review

I didn't think this situation could get worse but his behaviour and posts on Facebook are truly disgraceful. It's almost like he enjoys acting this way. He clearly is not able to apply any ounce of logic to his narrative. The 'new' measurements from Amir and Erin have barely changed, but he's...
  3. M

Discussing someone's behaviour does not necessitate the use of personal insults.
  4. M

help choosing studio monitors for surround sound and atmos

6 monitors? What layout are you going for?
  5. M

Speak to Steve Guttenberg. His review is linked on your site and he did not have the feet installed in his speaker either. In that case, are you saying his review is also erroneous and shouldn’t be trusted? What’s hard to fathom is a designer making feet a supposedly integral part of the design...
  6. M

It’s going to be entertaining if/when these speakers get measured with the feet in, “on the correct listening axis” and the result barely changes - all the highlighted problems still remain the same. I wonder what more ‘measurement accuracy’ excuses he’s got in the bag. I still can’t get over...
  7. M

Why is Steve Guttenbergs review on your site linked when he clearly also does not have the feet installed into the same speaker that Erin reviewed?
  8. M

Watched the Youthman discussion last night. Some interesting findings. Namely Eric’s problem with Erin’s review was that it was erroneous due to Erin not having the feet installed. Interestingly, Tekton have the very positive review from Steve Guttenberg linked on their site, also showing that...
  9. M

Disgraceful manufacturer communication aside, it's always bugged me how literally none of the woofers in the Tekton designs are flush mounted. I understand it's not absolutely necessary in terms of function, but in terms of form it looks lazy and almost unfinished imo. I can't think of any...
  10. M

Subwoofer recommendation with (built in) room correction, for $500 euros or less

Boomy bass is rarely a function of the subwoofer itself, but of the room-subwoofer combination. As you aren't using any DSP or even applying a simple HPF-LPF crossover between your speakers and subwoofer, I really don't see the point in adding one. You might get more bass, but it isn't going to...
  11. M

Cat resistant speakers

Moral of the story, blast your cats with high level music for a few seconds so they stay away, much like the hoover which my cat is deathly afraid of.
  12. M

Best budget studio monitors 6.5-8 inch at up to $1K a pair?

Please just buy a set of monitors and enjoy some music. I've never seen anyone ask for so many recommendations or A vs B comparisons and never actually buy anything.
  13. M

What makes big speakers sound "big"and smaller ones sound "small"?

My 8010's certainly sound smaller than my 8350's ;)
  14. M

Ascendo Immersive Audio CCM5-P/The 5 Passive

They seem like decent passive attempts at coaxials, with the common problems associated with coaxes. IMO, only a few manufacturers, namely Genelec and KEF, have really cracked coaxials. The rest of the offerings have been a significant compromise on FR for the advantages of using coax drivers.
  15. M

Arendal Sound 1961 Tower review (by Erin)

I can't speak for HSU, but the Q'Acoustics models tested by Erin, even the newer 5020 have all had quite elevated treble response. The 1961's are flat on-axis. It could be a case of you have gotten used to the elevated treble of the Q'Acoustics, which has now gone with the Arendal and they sound...
  16. M

New Hi Fi system is bright :(

Lots of reflective surfaces there without treatment, close proximity to an untreated back wall, lots of glass... I'm willing to bet the room is contributing a lot to your perception of higher frequencies.
  17. M

New mysterious Genelec monitors

Buy both and make your own mind up!
  18. M

Arendal 1723 Speaker Review

Brilliant, share some links of compression/distortion tests for the rest of the speakers you are linking.
  19. M

How many times does it need to be said, you are comparing random spec sheets with Klippel NFS measurements. Absolutely pointless and offers nothing to the discussion besides ‘X speaker is cheaper and it’s spec sheet says it handles more power so it must be better value for money’. I’ll repeat it...
  20. M

Here we go again…. This is an Arendal review thread, not X speaker is better because the spec sheet says it so.
Top Bottom