Search results

1. kemmler3D

Has anybody made DIY active bass traps using cheap subwoofers?

Well... If you just put a mic on the "cancellation" sub you're just going to get some funky feedback, not cancelation of the other subs in the room. What you need to do is characterize the response of Sub A (listening sub) at the position of Sub B and use DSP to invert that and play it through...
  2. kemmler3D

How do I plug this cable into this hole?

Yes, any correctly built cable should have the same sound quality, regardless of brand.
  3. kemmler3D

Ascend Sierra-1 V2 Speaker Review

Somehow I don't think people who work on audio products - especially speakers - as their full-time job forget about sound or listening to their products. Well, yes and no. A tree falling in the forest with nobody to hear, etc. But then again, we know from a decent body of scientific work that...
  4. kemmler3D

Measurement Software for Amateurs and Hobbyist - Recommendations?

REW is pretty much the best free software I'm aware of for audio measurement, unless you want to start doing manual analysis in Audacity or something. @GXAlan and @VintageFlanker also do measurements on their own, not sure what they use but I don't think it's the APx555?
  5. kemmler3D

This One has Me Confused

Broken / defective would be my guess also. THD is spec'd at 0.001 (percent? Doesn't say) but either way it shouldn't be obvious. Unless it has some insane rise in distortion with frequency (unlikely even for a Pass product) I'd say you should look into a warranty claim.
  6. kemmler3D

Ascend Sierra-1 V2 Speaker Review

What an absolute flex to get that PIR and preference score with a passive speaker. Put this thing in pretty much any* room with a sub and you're already in good shape. Well done, Ascend! *Not a big room... but for sub-$1K you can't run rock concerts.
  7. kemmler3D

A new era begins: I finally upgraded to STEREO!

In my view, the only rule of music production is "if it sounds good, it is good". The idea of "cheating" or "fraud" only applies to the pride of of the engineer, recordist or producer... ;)
  8. kemmler3D

Clipping distortion (multiple 0 dBFS samples) on commercial releases, why?

There was a thread on this and intersample-overs a while back. I am not sure where it landed. IIRC it was somewhat contentious in that the expected behavior isn't super-well defined, and there was debate on exactly how audible it would or could be in practice, and whether the behavior should be...
  9. kemmler3D

Looking for a consensus on Wiim Pro Plus and DACs

Indeed, many of us place the speakers because of how the room's arranged, not the other way around. You do what you can. :)
  10. kemmler3D

Which flagship headphone has fantastic soundstage/imaging und bass?

If you want soundstage from headphones, my advice is: Go to an audio show and listen to every headphone available to demo. If you are lucky, one of them will match your particular ear shape and give you good soundstage naturally. Get any headphone with good bass extension and low distortion...
  11. kemmler3D

In general people are not as prescriptive on speakers here as they are with electronics. You'll find most regulars agree with you here. There is more subjectivity and there are more actual, unpredictable variables when it comes to speakers. So, AFAIK no the ATC SCM40s spins don't look as good...
  12. kemmler3D

Two audiophiles walk into a bar... (finish the joke)

Two audiophiles walk into a bar, but subjectively it was at least three or four.
  13. kemmler3D

Genelec 8x3x stands, are they worth it?

In the US you can't find them for less than $75 each, unfortunately. Genelec stuff is typically noticeably cheaper in Europe. Score one for the old world, I guess.
  14. kemmler3D

A good way to get a sense of what SINAD means in real life: Download Audacity (or any other audio editor) and load up a music track. Listen to it at a comfortable volume. On another track, add pink or white noise at the same peak level as the music. At 0dB attenuation the noise will sound...
  15. kemmler3D

Please help……new equipment advice needed

If you aren't in a rush, keep an eye out for discounts, KEF is known to mark down new speakers a few times a year.
  16. kemmler3D

The beginning of my audio journey, help and advice

If you are going from the Stanmore to anything suggested in this thread, it will be night and day, if only because you'll get actual stereo instead of "stereo". :) I used to work in the BT speaker space and nothing in that space except maybe Sonos is something you'd call Hi-fi. Marshall stuff...
  17. kemmler3D

Genelec 8x3x stands, are they worth it?

Agreed, however I am not terribly excited about spending $150 before I even start looking at stands...
  18. kemmler3D

Please help……new equipment advice needed

If you can get them near US MSRP where you are, the KEF LS60 is at the right budget, has great sound, and is as simple as you can get for music & TV since it has HDMI input, plus DAC and amps are built-in. I have some and they're great. The main objection to the LS60 is also one of their...
  19. kemmler3D

:facepalm: My bad. Amir likes to praise the $100-200ish DACs since they regularly hit close to maximal SINAD numbers. Now that I understand what I'm responding to, I read that as simply pointing out that the Pro+ hits performance numbers that are as good as stand-alone DACs that are also...
  20. kemmler3D

It's funny wording to be sure... perhaps they're leaving the door open to marketing their own ProUltraMega+++ version with a fancier DAC and 6-12dB more SINAD in the future. I wouldn't overthink it.
Top Bottom