Search results

1. J

Sabaj A30a announced

I'd be interested to know if the sound quality gets (slightly) worse when you plug a DAC to it via RCA compared to all-integrated via USB. Unfortunately there is no high pass crossover included, which means I would have to put a DAC like the Topping DM7 before it in order to achieve an active...
  2. J

Sabaj A30a announced

Is the volume knob plastic or metal? Is it as cheap and flimsy as that black one from the A20a (2019) which is also installed to lots of SMSL devices? And does it turn smoothly or are there clicks?
  3. J

Sabaj A30a announced

On the pictures it looks as if there are two slits at the backside to ensure airflow. I wonder how much wattage is takes from the wall when it's on, but not playing anything.
  4. J

Sabaj A30a announced

You can make them yourself. Just make sure to catch all splinters with a lighting match box inlay or something similar when you drill them.
  5. J

Sabaj A30a announced

There are differences in the various filters and modulators. With "xtr_mp" I get a narrow stage with emphasis on transience which is great for most popular music. With "ext2" I get a very lucid, airy image with a much wider stage, which is great for instrumental music of all sorts. I know they...
  6. J

Sabaj A30a announced

So, for someone who likes to upscale music with f.e. Roon+HQplayer from PCM->DSD this would be an amp to discard? It would be "PCM-DSD-PCM-PWR" instead of "PCM-DSD-DAC-PWR" with any other amp?
  7. J

Sabaj A30a announced

Sound quality of this Harman Kardon Amp seems to be really good according to german reviews. They say it sounds a lot bigger than it looks. But there is no USB-DAC included, therefore no DSD support. It seems to be targeting TV-users mainly, since it supports the DolbyDigital codec and has the...
  8. J

Sabaj A30a announced

Harman Kardon is selling basically the same amp, but with some extra features. It's about 599$. They call it "Innovative Harman Kardon Digital Loop Amplifier Technology". Harman Kardon Citation Amp
  9. J

Sabaj A30a announced

Since this is an "all digital" amp, why the heck does it not include the option to do a frequency high pass cut to the speaker outs, filtering out the lowest frequencies in order to be able to use the amp properly with a subwoofer?! There is only low pass cut to the sub-out which is useless...
  10. J

Sabaj A30a announced

Maybe with your newly sent A30a there is also a problem with the copper not being attached 100%. Maybe this is why it is getting so hot?
  11. J

Sabaj A30a announced

So if I like using HQplayer as DSD upscaler giving out a native DSD signal it would be "reduced" to 44.1khz , whereas if I use my Topping E30 as a Sigma Delta DAC before it, I could still use the direct-native-DSD out. Is the sound quality superior only when plugged to USB or is it also much...
  12. J

Sabaj A30a announced

Is there tweeter hiss? How silent is the A30a compared to the AO200? Can you use native DSD upscaling (Roon, HQplayer etc.) with this amp as you would be able to do with any Sigma Delta DAC?
  13. J

Topping E30 II DAC Review

Toku is the Hajime Saito of audio products.
  14. J

Topping E30 II DAC Review

The LRND (from previous E30 newly invented little circuit cleaning up the 5V input power) might be the cause of these errors. If you put a 5V adaptor to it that is very "clean" by default, the LRND might find it "too clean" to work with properly. Try a "dirtier/cheaper" 5V supply to see if it...
  15. J

Topping DM7 8-Channel DAC Review

Well, a DM5 could basically be a Mini DSP 2x4 HD just with high end THD/SNR. Is it that niche? I don't know, but please tell me if there is any device other than Mini DSP that can do what the Mini DSP can do and is not multiple thousands of dollars.
  16. J

New SMSL A300 BTL Class-d Power Amp

Are you using the internal DAC of the A300? If so try putting an external DAC to it to see if it's the DAC causing lower volume/gain than expected.
  17. J

https://www.nisshinbo-microdevices.co.jp/en/pdf/datasheet/NJW1194_E.pdf Look at page 20 characteristics. It is all linear, but maybe I am missing something.
  18. J

On the A20a-2019 it is linear. On the SMSL AS300 it is linear. I do not own the SMSL A300, but strongly assume it is the same, since all these amps use the same controller and go from -0db to 60db.
  19. J

Sabaj A30a announced

@Toku could you elaborate a little more detailed about the difference in sound signature between the A30a and A20a-2019/2022, AO200 and SMSL A300?
  20. J

Yes. That is the case with any amp using the NW1194 volume controller as a pre-amp.
Top Bottom