Search results

1. Arnold Krueger

AES Paper Digest: Do Audio Op-amps Sound Different?

There are situations where crossover distortion was detected using highly efficient loudspeakers or headphones. Sometimes a pure tone, possibly at a lower frequency like 100 Hz was involved. But detection with music has also been reported. It is truly like a rubbing voice coil, so it if you...
  2. Arnold Krueger

AES Paper Digest: Differences among Several High Sampling Digital Recording Formats

This is a summary of many of the past studies in this area. Its a free download to everybody: http://www.aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=18296
  3. Arnold Krueger

Besides all of the sighted and DBT listening tests I've been measuring audio gear for over 50 years. There was a time in the 60s where amps with failed or misadjusted bias were not uncommon. By the 80s the adjustments largely disappeared, and the parts devoted to the issue were a trivial expense...
  4. Arnold Krueger

Earl found that one form of nonlinear distortion, crossover distortion in poorly designed class ab amplifiers that experience bias failure and slip into class b might evidence this problem. This type of distortion is shown as item B in Figure 1 in the paper you referenced. FWIW I think the...
  5. Arnold Krueger

That a piece of gear won't itself bias a test it is used in should be vetted. In the case of ADCs and DACs that can be done by hooking them together back-to-back and re-recording diagnostic musical passages through them a number of times. Some very cheap gear is so bad that just one pass is...
  6. Arnold Krueger

Doing listening tests by comparing carefully prepared computer files allows greater convenience in both preparing and performing the test. Computer programs for doing double blind comparisons are freely download able from several sources. I haven't been able to vet them all, but the ABX Plug...
  7. Arnold Krueger

One other thing. As is well known, most good gear has far less nonlinear distortion at typical operating levels, but ratings are usually taken under peak conditions, and even often when the gear is clipping a bit. So an amplifier speced at .1% THD may only be generating a tenth of that most of...
  8. Arnold Krueger

Where I get into this is that good loud shout is easily 100 dB SPL at 1 meter. A scream can be 130 dB SPL at 1 meter. 9 kilometers is 9000 times the distance and a fair approximation might be that the SPL falls off with the square of the distance. So, the square of 9000 is about 81 million...
  9. Arnold Krueger

Differences like these are highly dependent on how you listen, both the total system including sonic environment, and the program material, For example if your program material is composed of pure tones at 19 and 20 KHz then IME 0.08% nonlinear distortion is generally highly audible, and...
  10. Arnold Krueger

Looking for top-tier portable DAC/AMP

Are people availing themselves of this forum? What about the comparison between these two threads: https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/measurements-and-review-of-smsl-idea-and-audioquest-dragonfly-black-dacs.2397/...
  11. Arnold Krueger

Unlike some other papers mentioned here lately, this one was easy to find, and as complete English text! It is here: https://linearaudio.net/sites/linearaudio.net/files/LA%20Vol%202%20Yaniger%281%29.pdf. There is a lot there to agree with related to the issues related to subjective testing, and...
  12. Arnold Krueger

Photographs of magazine pages in a foreign language are pretty useless to me and probably most others who read this forum - we need something that we can use with Google Translate. I've pushed photographs of text through OCR in my native language, and that has turned out to be very difficult...
  13. Arnold Krueger

Is -140 the limit in measurements?

As long as you restrict yourself to editing only losslessly-encoded files like .wav or FLAC, it is not nearly the same thing as editing lossy-encoded JPEGs. You can close and reopen editing with reasonable impunity. In the specific case where I saw spurious losses, the number of opens and...
  14. Arnold Krueger

Proper scientific skepticism says: "Show me the beef". Rule of thumb, if you've got something valuable, why keep it under a bushel basket? All I've seen so far is excuses for past bad behavior (rubbishing the name of the group) and still zero reliable information at all about the alleged...
  15. Arnold Krueger

If there is a record of those tests, where is it? Google does not seem to be able to find it! Can't even find a trace of "Swedish Audio Society". Maybe someone is not taking this very seriously? I feel silly pointing out something so seemingly obvious that the listening test needs to be...
  16. Arnold Krueger

Pretty much 100% BS if your standard is a reliably audible difference in a proper DBT. The DACs in the first generation CD players were almost sonically transpareent, but by 1990 sonically transparent DACs were about a dime a dozen, figure of speech. Sorry, but you did ask! :)
  17. Arnold Krueger

An overview of the test environment is that due to the statistical nature of random or pseudo-random noise, noise measurements are only proper and reasonable if made in a known or defined bandwidth. One common reference bandwidth is 20-20 KHz flat mid-band and -3 dB at the stated limits, with...
  18. Arnold Krueger

Friendly advice - it is fair to attenuate a signal repetitively with whatever attenuation is at hand in order to achieve the desired level of attenuation. However, beware I have found that some audio editing software , if used to repeatedly attenuate a passage a large number of times, may...
  19. Arnold Krueger

The proposed experiment, which appears to be to simply try to create a low-level signal and try to hear it, lacks refinements for which I will try to make a logical care for. The first thing is that in all reasonable likelihood you really don't want to try to listen for the lowest level...
  20. Arnold Krueger

Depends on how much you turn it up.
Top Bottom