Search results

1. R

Audio Precision APx516B Review

While there is certainly value in being able to present data in the same format as AP software, I think REW provides a lot of the main functionality for free, with more flexible DUT audio I/O (no need for universal ASIO), and a simpler layout. Much more accessible for hobbyists. You will also...
  2. R

HIFIMAN Susvara Headphone Review

The driver itself should be designed such that these resonances don't occur. By "design of the driver" I mean tensioning of the diaphragm, film thickness, magnet gap, magnet arrangement, trace design/manufacturing technique, etc. An ideal planar driver shouldn't need external damping outside of...
  3. R

HIFIMAN Susvara Headphone Review

Looks like a lot of resonances across the band, which correlates to the messy FR, and distortion behavior at high SPL in those spots.
  4. R

NEOHIPO ET30 VU Meter Speaker Switcher Review

Whoah nice, this looks like it uses an active buffer to drive the VUs instead of drawing from speaker signal and introducing distortion... is there such a box available for line level RCA/XLR?
  5. R

Dan Clark Expanse Headphone Review

Adorama is selling ifi micro signature finale for $300 with the email promo right now. The input is still the weird male USB-A, but you can get an adapter from Amazon to convert that to USB-C.
  6. R

Shanling M0 Pro DAP Review

SD card slot (and one that is easily mountable as USB mass storage rather than being forced to use MTP protocol or break out a SIM tool). Also, transparent audio playback without having to dodge Android's various sound processing quirks.
  7. R

Cayin Mini-CD MKII CD Player Review

$35 bought me a minidisc-era Discman with an optical out which works great as a small desktop transport :)
  8. R

Stax SR-009S Electrostatic Headphone Review

They actually created this for several older models; there are the ED-1 Professional (lambda pro), ED-1 Signature (lambda signature), ED-5 (sr-5), and ED-1 Monitor (Pro eq and amp in one box). They eq the respective models to diffuse field curve and I believe Gunther Thiele was consulted in...
  9. R

There's a reason AccurateRip database and secure ripping is a thing. In reality, CD drives do make errors on imperfect discs, and many discs are imperfect. I have personally experienced this while ripping CDs with e.g. a cheap USB CD drive vs a full size SATA desktop unit. I've had some...
  10. R

Classic Audio MC Pro Phonostage Review

Indeed, some of my favorite high fidelity albums are those from MA Recordings, where there is simply a pair of omni-directional microphones recorded directly to digital, and pressed as such, usually in larger rooms without extensive sound dampening. I'm a headphone listener, so having properly...
  11. R

JBL Studio 590 Speaker Review

There are reasonable boundaries for everything. A smartphone delivering 0.1 volts will not be good in any circumstance. Similarly, if a speaker just sounds awful then it will sound awful whether it's $1000 or $100. For most people price is a primary consideration; they have a budget and they...
  12. R

It seems like CD players have gone the way of tape decks - made to fill a market niche with not much attention paid to fidelity. I recently bought one from AliExpress which had a beautiful design with a clear top that let you see the disc spin. Sadly, upon plugging it into my DAC's optical...
  13. R

TOPPING EHA5

Ah, then yeah hopefully there end up being more options. Estats are really not difficult or expensive to make relative to other driver types, when we are talking higher performance tiers. Those Chinesettawong clones of Orpheus and Omega from way long ago come to mind. I just wish Topping had...
  14. R

TOPPING EHA5

Which Lundahls do you use, out of curiosity? I'm running LL1630-PPs which are not "hard" to drive in terms of current or load behavior, but the 1:7.2 ratio requires a whole lotta gain. Getting a Purifi build to drive my setup soon which oughta suffice :) Anyway, having experienced various...
  15. R

TOPPING EHA5

The modules in the EHA5 are the same ones as in the A90D since they are labeled as such in photos and the circuit board layout looks identical, so quite a bit weaker than the LA90. The Topping measurements of the EHA5 are made with a step-down transformer placed after the step-up, which is not...
  16. R

SCH-REMOTE Digital VU/Spectrum Meter Review

Can you make a measurement of the unit with a typical DAC output while actually feeding an amplifier too, rather than just the AP? It may be possible that the AP's front end could be particularly robust. Did the other worse VUs introduce distortion to the AP loopback itself while placed in...
  17. R

Blind Listening Test 2: Neumann KH 80 vs JBL 305p MkII vs Edifier R1280T vs RCF Arya Pro5

I will say, having listened to speakers in a full anechoic chamber the performance of the speaker really starts to come into play more. I found myself comparing the experience more to headphone listening, whereas in a normal room I really notice the acoustics of the room more than the more...
  18. R

1More Sonoflow NC Headphone Review

Yknow, I've never understood why AP wouldn't make their boxes passively cooled, or at least put silent fans in (maybe a temperature threshold for them to turn on?). It's an audio measurement device, after all. I've used several of their products at work and all of them have noticeably noisy...
  19. R

Sony Xperia 5 IV Audio Review

Personally, I think a phone with more than 120GB storage is pointless, when there could instead be an SD card slot. The fast flash chips used in phones aren't necessary for what people actually use that space for, which is storing things like music. And it's much cheaper to get a 1TB micro SD...
  20. R

Schiit Magni Heretic Headphone Amp Review

I bought one of these and I'm quite pleasantly surprised. With Edition XS it sounds extremely detailed and actually beats my ifi Micro BL amp in bass control and upper midrange clarity. I had the original Heresy a while back and I thought it was fine but not amazing. Got Heretic as a temporary...
Top Bottom