Search results

1. P

SMSL D-6s Balanced DAC Review

I'm hoping someone might know how well the smsl d6s would work with the optical output of a TV. Specifically, tv optical outputs seem to generate noise nd other artifacts that many dacs see as jitter problems. In turn they try to resynch which results in pauses and other sound discontinuities...
  2. P

Roksan Attessa Streaming Amplifier Review

Used google and found a glowing review of this device on The Absolute Sound!
  3. P

Topping DX3 Pro v1, DX3 PRO + and Samsung TV toslink output

I doubt that the extracted hdmi output will be better but that shouldn’t stop you trying. The cracking sound problem you mentioned at the outset is strange and one I haven’t heard of before. Perhaps a fault in your tv. If the tv is not under warranty then I wonder whether a repair is possible...
  4. P

If the optical in on the topping works fine when input is from one source but not when from the tv then suspect the tv's optical output. The unit should work fine with the factory power supply. Playing with that is an irrelevant distraction..but its up to you if you want to persevere.
  5. P

Bluetooth and optical are independent and there should be no interaction between them. DPPL (Digital phase locked loop) is an adjustment on some dacs which allows some "relaxation" in response to response to jitter errors. The DX3PRO+. doesn't have that adjustment. Do a google search of DPPL...
  6. P

This to me to indicates a fault with the processing of the optical input stream by the topping. If you have another device with an optical out you could try that and see if the problem persists. If the problem exists when using both the tv and another device then the topping is faulty. If the...
  7. P

Many threads on the forum mention the tv/dac/jitter problem. Its obviously a widespread problem. It is clear to me that if one plans to use a dac with a tv then the take away - buy a dac with adjustible dppl: the cheapest I could find was an smsl su-6. - alternaively a dac with the akm...
  8. P

Some years ago I bought the first version of the DX3 pro. Over the past few months I starting using this together with a Samsung TV to send the optical output to powered Yamaha speakers. And that seems to have worked very well with terrific sound quality, no glitches and no momentary...
  9. P

Dx3 pro+ Samsung Optical Out

Yes, I am using a DX3+ pro with an older Samsung (circa 2016) TV and Yamaha powered monitor speakers. Generally speaking the sound quality is terrific. In fact I initially used a Sanskrit 10th (first version) which was ok. But when I tried the TV it with my older Dx3 Pro (1st gen) the...
  10. P

dbx 223xs Crossover Review

I too was happy to see this review, and relieved to read that technically the crossover generally scrubs up fairly well. Ten years ago I decided to remove the passive crossovers in my 3 way speakers and go active. My first active xover was a Behringer. It was fine for a few years until it...
  11. P

NORDOST TYR 2 Review (Coax Cable)

I am really glad that Amir is here to do these rigorous and objective tests of equipment. In the past we had to rely on a bevy of "golden eared" reviewers such as the following to help us with our quest for the perfect audio system...
  12. P

Khadas Tone Board Case

I ordered a 3d print of this case (https://www.treatstock.com/3d-printable-models/2412322-khadas-tone-board-case). Unfortunately this case is not deep enough and the front panel juts out. The board needs to be about 6mm deeper for the front panel to fit snugly against case. If I were...
  13. P

Looking for: Cheap compact DAC with remote

I think I can now answer my own question. From what I find, using an mx3 to drive active speakers does not work well-hiss, interference etc-unless the output volume of the mx3 is set to a fixed line level output ie to act as a preamp. But then you can’t use the mx3 to vary the output level...
  14. P

Looking for: Cheap compact DAC with remote

I want to use an external powered speaker with my Samsung TV. Many TVs allow you to use the TV remote to control the volume of the audio output jack when using an external speaker. My Samsung, and as far as I know, all Samsung TVs have a fixed volume output level - no volume control with the...
  15. P

Using inexpensive DVD player as transport for an external DAC

It would be good to find out if the Samsung is faulty in order to remove any lingering doubt about the expectation that all DVD players are "equal" as digital sources.
  16. P

From what I can see, most lower priced bluray players don't have coaxial or optical digital outputs, only hdmi. I understand that an hdmi audio extractor should be able to capture the audio from the hdmi stream, output a digital audio signal, and feed this signal into an external dac My...
  17. P

re CD players & DVD players are usually well made. The only problem is that you can't easily EQ and would need a miniDSP or something like that, and more expensive than the player itself. Good thought. I have a 3 way triamped system with a dbx active crossover so that should be fine.
  18. P

Re If both the CD player and the DVD player are competently sending digits to the same DAC I would expect no difference. That's what I would have thought and expected. But with all of the "mysticism" about hifi audio I thought it would be good to ask. I will probably go the dvd/dac option...
  19. P

I'm just wondering if anyone has tried using an inexpensive DVD player with digital outputs connected to a good quality DAC. And if so, how would the sound quality compare to that of a relatively expensive cd player?
  20. P

Simple music streaming system using old netbook

I've now been able to try this out using my very old MSI (circa 2012) (atom cpu/2gb ram)netbook with a topping D10 using foobar and wasapi drivers. In short, this combination seems to work extremely well. I haven't done any extended or super critical listening testing but my first impression...
Top Bottom