Search results

1. j_j

Avery Fisher Hall, now Geffen Hall

I haven't been to the new hall, since I now live in Seattle, but has anyone heard what the new new new Philharmonic Hall sounds like? Having been a bit of a fly on the wall about previous "resets" I'm curious.
  2. j_j

A talk on auditory masking.

The invitation is at www.aes.org/sections/pnw It's an open zoom meeting, but you must register well in advance. It also assigns homework for those not familiar with how the ear works.
  3. j_j

Time resolution of Redbook (16/44) PCM

Ok, that old BS about "only one sample time resolution" came up again elsewhere. I made the following demonstration to put the screws to that. I generated a 10kHz sine wave at 44.1 kHz sampling rate. The matlab file is attached. I generated 128 discrete phases uniformly split over one cycle...
  4. j_j

Amir? Perhaps a library of test signals?

I can contribute some, like distortion buzz tones, "gong" signals, sine waves, narrowband noise, allpass sequences? Also some interchannel measurement things, perhaps. @amirm Not huge storage, but must be either 24 bit or 32 float wave files.
  5. j_j

Dithering is a Mathematical Process - NOT a psychoacoustic process.

I have calculated a sine wave of magnitude .4, rounded it, added uniform dither, rounded that, and added tpd, and rounded THAT, i.e. I've set a step size of '1' in the quantizer. The routine that does this will follow in a comment. The photo I'm attaching now has 4 lines. each line shows a...
  6. j_j

A happy Newtonmas to all and everyone.

Also Merry Christmas, Joyous Yule, Happy Hannachuh (sp?), Splendid Saturnalia, and whatever else you might prefer. The bird is in the oven, the pie is on the cooling rack, and the wine is ready to open.
  7. j_j

A warning. There is a new web article going aroud that is a crock of schmidt.

https://www.fairobserver.com/more/science/neil-young-vinyl-lp-records-digital-audio-science-news-william-softky-39078/ It is an absolute crock of excrement of the worst order, showing that the author does not understand any of the following: 1) Information theorem 2) Nyquist theorem 3) Human...
  8. j_j

Plasma display!

9. j_j

Hearing 099

This coming Wednesday, I will be giving a tutorial on the very basics of human hearing at Digipen as part of the AES local Chapter's activities. You can get more information at www.aes.org/sections/pnw This is an updated talk, much like one I did about 10 years ago, but with some new material...
  10. j_j

An analysis of some tracks, unprocessed, off of CD.

There are 3 plots in each image. The first is a histogram (red) of the actual samples on the CD. Since the image isn't 65536 wide, the histogram plots largest and smallest in each bin, but the bins are calculated per individual level. The first also includes an upsampled version (blue)...
Top Bottom