Search results

1. R

What budget speakers you like to see reviewed?

I'm all in favor of an under-$200 MSRP shootout. Perhaps with some mods, an under-$200 speaker can become an almost-$500 speaker. Not that I've ever attempted such a thing ;-)
  2. R

Yamaha NS-6490 improvement project

Here's the smaller 16-bit file. It's about 30 seconds long. Only compatible file format is .zip
  3. R

It looks like I can export the audio file from Audacity. What file format would be best/uploadable here?
  4. R

What's the speaker of your dreams?

Just want to provide an update. I found a beautiful pair of EPI 200B speakers, which are similar to the A500, for only $175. They had been sitting in the seller's closet since he replaced the 8" surrounds years ago. The 10" passive radiators really bring out the bass, again similar to the (2)...
  5. R

I finally completed my NS-6490 improvement project. Installed the crossovers, replaced the mids, and added Acousta-Stuff polyfill. And since I don't have the knowledge and sophisticated equipment suggested here, I decided to do just the most basic testing available. I created a test CD with...
  6. R

I've quoted Alex's remarks that I consider unwelcoming and rude - especially towards a new member. I don't care how RIGHT he might be technically. I expect more from a "senior" member of ANY group that wants to make new members feel welcome, no matter their speaker-building or modifying...
  7. R

I never said that Alex-Z was incorrect - far be it for me to make that claim. I believe I've been quite clear in my replies. And my beef with him is one of attitude, not expertise. I never said these speakers were a "diamond in the rough". In fact, I accept the technically detailed and...
  8. R

Alex-z, it appears as though your most recent comment was removed. Not sure if you deleted it, or an admin did. But your comments in general do not make a new member feel welcome nor comfortable. And in fact, I receive notification in my email of (and the content of) every comment when that...
  9. R

So this is your idea of a positive comment to help me achieve my goal? "trying to fix these speakers is putting lipstick on a pig" Again, if they're as bad as Amir stated, then there's only one direction to go and that's up. "Mineral wool is not going to fix the many resonances caused by the...
  10. R

Actually each A500 had a 10" woofer and 2 passive 12" radiators, along with a 4" midrange and a 1" air spring dome tweeter. I drove them with my JVC RX-805VTN 100 w/c. Still have the JVC.
  11. R

Look - another totally negative comment! Ok, so I get it - these speakers couldn't be much worse. But they're what I have, and I'm convinced that if they can't sound any worse, they can be made to sound better. So please - while I appreciate your expertise, I don't appreciate people trying to...
  12. R

While I try to digest all (or even some) of what is REW, I plan to install the crossovers at the bottom of the cabinet. It's easier to just submit to gravity right off, and go with it, rather than attempt to secure the crossovers on the back inside wall of the cab. Q: Can I just stuff the cabs...
  13. R

Ugh - I had to pay $8 for the app on my iPhone. But maybe it'll come in handy someday for... well, something. I've got all kinds of cables, so that shouldn't be a problem. What wattage resistor? One of those ceramic 10w ones?
  14. R

Yes, I've spoken to Huw several times over the years. According to the seller, Huw did the work on the A500s I had. But as he stated, he can't possibly keep track of every person who wants a particular pair of speakers ;-)
  15. R

Yes, all music equipment. PreSonus Audiobox USB (2 input), AKG Perception 200 condenser, EV N/D767a, Shure SM58 and SM57, Sennheiser 609 Silver. Downloaded that app. What about a frequency generator app? There are many available in the App Store.
  16. R

Thanks! Yours are the only really helpful comments, and I appreciate them. Yes, I have an iPhone 11XR, microphones, an interface to convert their analog output to digital, and a laptop.
  17. R

I once owned a pair of EPI A500 speakers. They had been refoamed or reconed - don't remember what the seller said exactly. But they sounded amazing! Had to sell them when I retired and downsized. I'd love to have another pair. Anyone know where I can find some?
  18. R

No. A modest investment. The crossovers are $25 for both. I'm looking for thin rockwool batting now but thinking no more than $25. I don't have any fancy audio measuring equipment. This is a mostly shooting from the hip, and listening with the ears project.
  19. R

Yamaha NS-6490 improvement project thread from https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/yamaha-ns-6490-3-way-budget-speaker-review.17042/page-5#post-1227222 I was asked to move this discussion to the DIY but the thread contains background info. Please read it and listen to the...
  20. R

Yamaha NS-6490 3-way Budget Speaker Review

One more post and 2 photos then I'll head over there and research other sources of info. The woofers don't look too bad. Large 3.5" voice coil and magnet.
Top Bottom