Search results

1. ayane

Proposal: Right to Fair Review (RFR) Association

I love this idea. Btw @amirm in your OP you made the initialism RFA/RFAA. Do you mean RFR/RFRA?
  2. ayane

Buckeye Amps 2ch Integrated Amplifier

You are the greatest!! I'm really excited to see how this goes =)
  3. ayane

NEW PURIFI 8'' MWoofer [PTT8.0X04]

This is necessary reading to understand Purifi's design choices. In a nutshell - the annulus (the surround) is the most nonlinear component of the radiating surface, and is the source of the majority of a driver's second-order distortion (2nd harmonic distortion combined with first sum and...
  4. ayane

Singers of ASR

Well... it has been a while since I popped in to ASR! I've been lurking nonetheless because I'll always be a bit of a gearhead, and this is the best spot to get a fix for measurements :p But besides being an audiophile, I'm much more so a melophile - and I love to sing! It is the greatest joy...
  5. ayane

Directiva r1 speaker build

Yep, that's quite a dramatic result. Looks like it was the right call to screw the woofer to the brace!
  6. ayane

Dan Clark Expanse Headphone Review

For what it's worth, both of the dongles I own - E1DA 9038S and Moondrop Moonriver 2 - are dead silent when connected to either a PC or a phone. I've even tested them as DACs feeding my SMSL SP200 amp, and they sound just as clean as my RME ADI-2 Pro in terms of noise. I understand what you're...
  7. ayane

Thanks for the data! Perhaps the one Wolf tested was the Susumu 2000 variant? Regardless, the point still stands; a "mere" 6 dB on top of >600 mW is a whopping >2.4 W.
  8. ayane

I don't understand this sentiment at all. A dongle like the E1DA 9038S can comfortably provide 300 mW into 16 ohms. Quadrupling the output power to over 1.2 watts "merely" results in a 6 dB boost in output SPL. For someone who enjoys moderately quiet listening levels, paying a lot of money to...
  9. ayane

You really don't need to worry about burn-in with DCA headphones. In this old Innerfidelity video, Dan explains how drivers are burned in for "a minimum of 48 hours" (11:05) before drivers are matched. It's take care of during manufacturing.
  10. ayane

Topping L30 II Review (Headphone Amp)

Pretty sure it is. This amp has so much negative gain in low gain mode that it suppresses the noise floor of the test signal substantially in the process. AP can theoretically resolve a few dB on top of this result too; the noise in this result is about 500 nVrms (although the actual number is...
  11. ayane

Chord DAVE Review (DAC & HP Amp)

Every time that characteristic "bulging" shows up in the headphone voltage vs impedance vs THD graph near saturation, it's a telltale sign of not having enough feedback. Between that and the noise floor modulation, this is a poorly engineered product considering the "cost no object" price point...
  12. ayane

RME ADI-2/4 Pro SE

I get that the RME engineers are proud of their baby, but some headphones really do need ungodly amounts of power. Before I had the SMSL, I drove a different headphone amp into really bizzare distortion that I posted in this thread. The folks at Geshelli all but admitted that their amp was...
  13. ayane

RME ADI-2/4 Pro SE

I do feel slightly called out! It's true I've shied away from testing the headroom before deciding to use my other headphone amp because I was worried about driving the ADI-2 into clipping, but I'm not sure I agree with this entirely. Since you've replied to me earlier this week, I've tested...
  14. ayane

CHORD M-Scaler Review (Upsampler)

It's literally impossible to have SPLs higher than 194 dB in air at sea level. Sound is longitudinal, so the rarefaction of those waves can't get lower than vacuum pressure. There will be shockwave distortion. More importantly, SPLs that high will result in instant death. Bonus: the noise...
  15. ayane

CHORD M-Scaler Review (Upsampler)

More DSP bunk. Having more filter coefficients just allows for a narrower transition band, thus giving the possibility of pushing the passband closer to the Nyquist frequency - assuming the coefficients are even correct in the first place. A hundred or so coefficients ("taps") is more than...
  16. ayane

RME ADI-2/4 Pro SE

Hey! Thanks for replying. I think I mentioned this earlier, but I use DSP, which reduces the output level for me quite a bit before the ADI-2 comes in. 1. I use equalization on my headphone (through software, not the ADI-2) and overall, that pushes the level down by about 6 dB or so. Even...
  17. ayane

High-resolution Speaker Frequency Response & Distortion Measurements and Why We Need Them (video)

I love that you already have a video on this, haha (and I think the juiciest part of that video is around the 3:52 mark when you discuss equivalent rectangular bandwidth). But thank you for elaborating further on this topic. The format and quality of information in your videos reminds me of...
  18. ayane

Testing Open Power Cord interference in Interconnect Cables (video)

I'm not Amir, but this largely boils down to "there are no benefits" for two reasons: 1. To keep it simple, if we continue Amir's circuit analogy, since the "shield" is metallic, it will experience a small leakage current caused by capacitive coupling to the AC signal in the live wire inside...
  19. ayane

I second this opinion, but let's also acknowledge the unfortunate reality that there exist a large number of people to whom it does not matter. Science deniers are the exact same anywhere, whether it's in audio engineering, environmental science, or biotechnology - they plug up their ears to...
  20. ayane

There are two types of people in audio: those who understand physics, and those who don't understand anything at all.
Top Bottom