Search results

1. Curvature

Portable Amplifier for 300ohm Headphones?

What are the best options for portably powering a Sennheiser HD800S? To be clear, this is to walk around the house, not the street.
  2. Curvature

Ping Pong Ball Absorber

https://pubs.aip.org/aip/jap/article/134/14/144502/2915871/Low-frequency-sound-isolation-by-a-metasurface-of Very interesting. Idea is to use an array of pingpong balls touching each other on a plexiglass surface with drilled holes to create a Helmholtz resonator. By varying the hole diameter...
  3. Curvature

How do filters really work?

In an (1) electrical or (2) digital filter, what happens to the energy that is attenuated or boosted? Is attenuation a kind of redistribution of energy? Where does the extra energy come from when boosting? Does this work any different acoustically? I assume all of those phenomena we usually...
  4. Curvature

How Loud: Genelec vs. Neumann

In an earlier thread, I posted a comparison of Neumann monitors using Sound & Recording data (and some Neumann sub data) for max SPL at 3% THD. I decided to make the same comparison using Genelec data. Neumann Genelec What's shocking is how similar the traditional huge mains monitors are...
  5. Curvature

Any Brian Eno Experts? Need Help

In the time-stamped interview below, Eno is playing a very unusual piece of music in the studio. Is it his? I haven't heard anything like it in his albums. I would appreciate help identifying it.
  6. Curvature

Room Acoustics Quiz (Limited to 300 Participants)

https://goldpsych.eu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_77FA3Ebn3XxdiD4 Part of a larger study. The first part is a self-assessment about your skills, while the second is the quiz itself, only 10 questions long. My results:
  7. Curvature

Sean Olive Interview on Headphones (April 2023)

https://www.buzzsprout.com/1537384/12621026-headphone-sound-quality-what-do-listeners-prefer Interesting, with a bit more backstory than usual on the topic of headphones. Includes a transcript for easy quoting.
  8. Curvature

Unusual Speaker Placements

Let's let 'em rip. Inspired by https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/unusual-speaker-designs.12255/ Here's one I saved to show to my audiophile friends and ASRians. Granted, this might be the work of the staging co. trying to modernify the look of the apartment for the real...
  9. Curvature

Recommend a Microphone Stand

For years I've been using a simple microphone stand where the main pivots are rubber and metal clamps. Totally fine for most purposes. Sort of squishy and loose in operation. If I'm not careful about the clamping force it can droop, and if I hit it by accident the cental pivot will swing it...
  10. Curvature

Rice Cooker Grounding(Resolved)

I bought a Tatung rice cooker from Taiwan. It has a two prong power cord and came with a separate ground wire that looks like it's meant to be connected to a lug on the bottom of the chassis, but I have no idea where the other end should be referenced. Is it safe to use in NA? It's rated 110V...
  11. Curvature

Rationale for Unreliability of Subjective Reviews

Most people are in the dark about just how active hearing is—it is the only sense of the basic five with efferent pathways in the brain. As in, it is the only one over which you can exert perceptual control. Many seem to consider themselves passive receptacles for sound, not actively picking...
  12. Curvature

Tamara Rubin: Consumer Testing of Goods for Lead, etc.

Found this website recently. https://tamararubin.com/ Can't remember how I stumbled on it, exactly, but it's nice to know my Staub cookware is made without lead. Not that I know more than the average person about toxicity or how reliable her methods are. Admirable. We need more of this kind...
  13. Curvature

Temporary Threshold Shift: Do you notice it?

TTS is a type of listening fatigue. I get TTS very fast with IEMs or headphones. With speakers it takes much longer. How about you?
  14. Curvature

Attempts at Circular AMTs or Ribbons?

Do they exist? The working principles of these driver types would suggest no.
  15. Curvature

Quest for Real Bass Traps

Do any acoustic treatment companies offer practical bass traps? By practical I mean this list here. Clear effectiveness below 200Hz and a reasonable amount below 100Hz. Clear testing method and availability of results. Only a few inches deep to keep them suitable for domestic settings. This...
  16. Curvature

Arendal Sound Discount Code

For 1723 series glossy finish products, which are being discontinued. $100 code: RBET8A47. One time use only.
  17. Curvature

Preamp Input Impedance for MM Carts

The accepted standard for MM phono preamp inputs is 47kohm. Is the peaking that many simulated models show for other impedances nonlinear? Could you use a good mic preamp instead (with better headroom and specs than many phono preamps) and apply PEQ at the output, or will there be FR changes...
Top Bottom