Search results

1. novice

Vintage Speakers Worth Owning Today?

"Art form" was 20+ years ago when there were virtually no replacement surrounds to be had and you fabricated to your need from them. Most speakers now can be refoamed without shims or dusctcap removal and well within the scope of the 1st time doer.
  2. novice

Michael Fremer Leaving Stereophile?

At one point nearly all editorial staff for any "audiophile" rag, 80s thru 00s...
  3. novice

Vintage Speakers Worth Owning Today?

The L500, L520, & L570 were nice, a good all-round package.
  4. novice

Message to golden-eared audiophiles posting at ASR for the first time...

Sometimes just because. Same for shooting black powder, using a mechanical watch, or driving a classic car. Because you can, because it's enjoyable.
  5. novice

AE1 Active, lost my female XLR input

That would be unusual but not out of the question. Before you remove it try letting gravity work. after a day you should see some movement if nothing else is holding the plate in. Perhaps that is the center bolt? The bottom 2 are likely holding the transformer to the plate.
  6. novice

are tower speakers necessary in 2022?

Yessir! My old standby was just enough subwoofer so you noticed it if you turned it off. IOW, the musical presentation was coming from the main speakers and the subwoofer just blended in. I believe the effect is called precedence. In doing that with satellites the result was dramatic to the...
  7. novice

Are DIY speakers 'worth it'?

DIY at what level though? Buying a commercial design has the advantage of being a "known" if you ever decide to sell them off. Selling off a kit or scratchbuild though means you're limited to those who acknowledge the kit or scratchbuild is "good" and agree that your building chops were...
  8. novice

AE1 Active, lost my female XLR input

Looks like an easy fix to me. With the unit unplugged and in the same position it's in now, remove the (8) Allen bolts around the plate perimeter. Then, with your hand supporting the plate, tip it over and let the plate slowly drop out. If it doesn't, it's likely stuck to the gasket and you made...
  9. novice

Oof, I was that guy long ago. Play one track over & over trying to discern improvements over previous iterations; listening to gear not music. And almost certainly dismissive or outright mocking anyone who said they enjoyed what they heard on their "mediocre" system. Past life cringe...
  10. novice

Context is everything and...relative. Our parents/grandparents played cards over the kitchen table commenting on how great the radio on the counter sounded. Go further back and you'd find oohing an aahing over a wind-up 78rpm record player. I've even had the experience of goosebumps over a car...
  11. novice

what are your industrial design favorites?

I have a hard time getting past vintage Suzuki triples. At the Redline Hot Wheels age when they came out and everything about their "sty;e" made me want one. There is nothing remarkable about them, just a jumble of disjointed takes but they call to me still. The sum of the parts definitely...
  12. novice

Rolling equivalent -
  13. novice

Put me mid 90s in a Hawaiian shirt heading to Vegas in that one, Vince Vaughn shotgun. /money
  14. novice

Unfortunately for the pilot of the XP-79 he died on the first flight, hit by the plane as he bailed out. But, the flying wing is an amazing design. Latest iteration, B-21 Spirit which I can't tell from the original B-2 -
  15. novice

What size Chassis do you prefer your Amplifier to be ...the standard 19 inch rack mount ?

19" and a eurocard based audio system. Have liked a module based system approach for years. And now with high-power amps & small form factor supporting components it's completely viable.
  16. novice

There' just something a little more out there with the Northrop XP-79 ('45) though - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northrop_XP-79
  17. novice

"P2P" -- as in "point to point" :)

I had a quad receiver that became intermittent. Reaction upon opening it...
  18. novice

"P2P" -- as in "point to point" :)

...and the gamut was all over the map! LEAK is a good example of clean P2P, in the case a Stereo 50 (PP EL34). Convention nearly that of WW2 on comm gear, note the lacing - But also note the amount of wiring heading under the board. They can be a bear to sort out and redo so they retain...
  19. novice

Carver Crimson 275 Review (Tube Amp)

non-specific life advice - under-promise, over-deliver
  20. novice

Vintage amplifiers that could challenge or approach current state of the art amplifiers

That could be boiled down 2 ways though. One from a strictly marketing standpoint (positioning & blurbing) and the other is the designers personal pref. Perhaps non-linearity was the goal as it was more enjoyable...euphonic perhaps...to him? There's more to the 'ignore the measurements'...
Top Bottom