Search results

1. R

New from Schiit Audio: Vidar 2

Wow, that must keep your listening area quite toasty warm in the winter. :) Those things throw off quite a bit of heat. Best,
  2. R

4ohm stereo test results are posted publicly here: https://www.schiit.com/public/upload/PDF/Schiit%20Amp%20APx555%20Standard%20Test%20Suite_%20Vidar%202.pdf Not sure why they don't show 4ohm mono as they do show 8ohm mono. You could always ask them. Best,
  3. R

Pre and post sales questions were answered promptly. My order was painless and arrived in a couple of days. I haven't had any issues with the gear at all. At the time of my purchase a few years ago, there really weren't any better alternatives for me at that price point. I'd consider that a...
  4. R

ASR Open Source Streamer Project

I have been using this combo: Wiim Pro Plus Streamer ---coax---> SMSL DO100 ---> Denon AVR https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CC2HWC7N https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09WMNKPJ2 The Wiim device has a simple android application that I run on a tablet to stream lossless music from Amazon...
  5. R

That's quite a bit of bile for Schiit there. I've been happy with my Vidar (no hum), but I am likely going to be replacing it with something more efficient like a Nilai500-based stereo amp. The really nice Ncore/Buckeye/etc amps based on higher-end Hypex or Purifi parts are not really cheaper...
  6. R

SMSL DO100 Review (Stereo DAC)

So wouldn't filter 4 or 6 be more "ideal" then? The default seems to have the worst performance of them all based on this definition, but Amir says it performs well in his review. I've left mine at the default setting. For what it's worth, I just got one of these and I'm using it in...
  7. R

There's zero hum with my original Vidar. I'm going to order the Vidar 2 anyway and hear for myself. If it hums, I'll send it back and then potentially look at one of those fancy class D amps (like the Hypex kits or the Audiophonics amp) towards the top of Amir's SINAD list instead. Best,
  8. R

Some additional physical isolation may help. I don't have this with MY Vidar, but it's not uncommon with amps that have big transformers. Best,
  9. R

Yes, I believe I said that already. :) Best,
  10. R

Unless I need something to heat up my room, I think I'll stick with Vidar over Aegir. By pretty much any measure, the numbers speak for themselves. However, I don't have speakers that are efficient enough to really "take advantage" of a lower power Class A type of amp. Best, Aegir: Power...
  11. R

I don't know about 2 ohms, but it's driving my 4ohm Magnepans very well @ 200wpc. I sometimes play it quite loud in a very large room and have been quite happy with the results. I had originally planned to get a pair and run them bridged for the maggies, but that hasn't been necessary. Best,
  12. R

Have you listened to any of those Emotiva amps? I don't think Schiit has anything to worry about there. Blech. I wouldn't mind trying out one of those new class D amps with the crazy SINAD that Amir has recommended. But for now, I'm pretty happy with the Vidar (other than the lack of an easy...
  13. R

I believe there is also an improvement in SNR by almost 10db. Whether or not that's audible to most people I have no idea. That would indicate to me that there were some changes made other than the standby switch. Best,
  14. R

I'm upgrading for that feature alone. If it sounds even a smidgen better that's icing on the cake. The reviews I've seen on the Vidar2 on youtube are mostly just hand waving fluff pieces. Nothing akin to what Amir would post here. Best,
  15. R

The Aegir isn't going to work for me as I need to drive Magnepans. :) There's also the new Tyr, but you'd need a pair for stereo. Quite a bit more expensive. Best,
  16. R

Unfortunately, I'm not in the market for a "micro amp". :) I may spring for one of their DAC's though. Best,
  17. R

If the past is any judge, I don't see any reason to NOT trust Schiit. They've always been pretty transparent and there aren't many companies that post the detailed testing results that they do on their web site. I know the "audiophile" industry is rife with charlatans, but I don't think they...
  18. R

Crown XLS1002 Amplifier Teardown

Sorry to resurrect an old thread. :) I have the bigger brother XLS 2502. It served as the main L/R amp for my home theater system for a few years. It was OK. Not bad...not great...but serviceable. I eventually replaced it with a simpler big hunk of metal Schiit Vidar design which is at a...
  19. R

I wonder too. That would be a great thing given the price point. I've been pretty happy with my old steam powered Vidar. :) Best,
  20. R

Here's a youtube review. Very subjective so I'd love to see someone dive in there and get actual data on the differences between the old and new Vidar. I've got the original one and love it for driving some modified Magnepan MMG's. I might upgrade just to get the stand-by button on the front...
Top Bottom