Search results

1. G

Small PC vs streamer

Happy to report that the minidsp shd passes the test for me. It's a dedicated streamer and you can customize it if you wanted (and void the warranty of course). I took a peak inside the case and it's using a NanoPi Neo2 for the streaming computer. It's running a regular debian linux...
  2. G

RME HDSPe AIO pci-express interface

See my ebay listing here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/RME-HDSPe-AIO-32-Ch-24-96-PCI-e-Interface-ADAT-ANALOG-AES-MIDI-24-bit-192-kHz/254572494282?hash=item3b45b3fdca:g:JOwAAOSwUI5emmoX $590 shipped anywhere in continental USA
  3. G

Topping D50 for sale: SOLD

This is D50, not D50s. $110 shipped to anywhere in continental USA. That's cheaper than a new D30, for a better DAC. Comes with the D50 unit and usb power cable. Sorry I don't have original packaging or manual.
  4. G

Do Audio Speakers Break-in?

Is it the speakers breaking in? Or maybe your ears getting broken in (i.e. accustomed to) the sound profile of the speaker?
  5. G

Silent Angel Bonn N8 Audio Grade Ethernet Switch

No your wife has it better. At least she can wear the shoes out in public and look nice. This device is truly useless, and from a networking perspective significantly inferior to what you could buy for the same price.
  6. G

Adding a subwoofer to a 2 channel DAC without adding an external crossover

I read many sound card have pretty poor noise and jitter characteristics. Even higher end ones. I don't really trust them. Also, I'm not a big fan of configuring this stuff on the pc itself unless it's a dedicated media pc. Sometimes I connect my desktop pc to the setup. Othertimes my tablet...
  7. G

So to clarify, here is what I'm actually doing. I live in a very small apartment. My computer desk is in the living room. I have IK Multimedia MTM iLoud studio monitors at the desk and also my main living room speakers (salk veracity ST) / sub (funk audio) by the TV. I chose these monitors...
  8. G

I already am planning to get an SHD for my main speaker setup in the living room I don't want to have 2. Also, the shd doesn't have a headphone amp. I suppose you could with the shd use a present which disables xover/dirac and then use a jds atom or something with the rca's though.
  9. G

That's what they advise not to do in the last "Termites in the Woodpile" section. If you want to split 2 channels it's ok. If you want to sum 2 channels, it's also ok. If you want to split and sum at the same time, you get crosstalk. Using a passive box is no different than using a cable.
  10. G

Because I don't want to spend money buying other components. The RME is already top grade.
  11. G

If your subs have 2 inputs, you can run L and R directly into the sub and it's easy. If you have 2 subs with 1 input each and they are positioned well, you can run L to one sub and R to the other. Also easy. If you have just 1 sub with just 1 input available, you have to sum the left and right...
  12. G

I'm trying to add my subwoofer to my desk setup. I have an RME ADI-2 DAC. My subwoofer has only 1 XLR input available for use. Most hifi dacs/preamps only have stereo outputs. Only things like minidsp and some more expensive exotic units actually have dsp and multiple outputs. It's very rare to...
  13. G

Plex vs Roon

I have both and run them on my NAS server. I primarily use plex for movies across my home network and to the Roku on the tv. For this purpose, it's pretty fantastic. Roon provides a much better user interface experience. Better library organization. It also lets me from any device play music...
  14. G

Small PC vs streamer

Well I'm not saying don't buy one. Just know that you're buying something that will eventually become useless and need to be replaced. If you're ok with that go for it! Even regular pc's eventually die so nothing is immune. I'm also a big fan of having as few separate devices on my desk /...
  15. G

Small PC vs streamer

Quite a lot Just because there's a linux kernel running on the device doesn't mean you will be able to continue upgrading, customizing, and using it if the vendor drops support. Can you ssh to the device directly and install whatever software you want on it? Is it running a common linux...
  16. G

Small PC vs streamer

Streamer vs a PC: My biggest fear with a closed box streamer is later if the vendor goes out of business or just decides to stop supporting it. With a device such as a standalone DAC where the controls are on the unit itself and doesn't require any software or apps it'll work forever. Imagine...
  17. G

Salk Sound

Late to this party, but I have Salt Veracity ST speakers and they sound great. I got these because I live in a small apartment and after many conversations with Jim he recommended going with these. He was super patient with me through all my questions and emails. Nothing beats talking to the...
  18. G

Review and Measurements of Okto DAC8 8Ch DAC & Amp

Wow, the DSP version of this looks like the end game for a home theater 2+1 setup. I may ditch my current more expensive setup for this.
  19. G

Splitting XLR for subwoofer

I disable the low pass filter on the sub when using the Devialet. No reason to do it twice as you said.
Top Bottom