Search results

1. Boxermotor

Sonos Five Smart Speaker Review

Super surprised by the results! I've thought of Sonos in the same category as Bose - overpriced with poor sound.
  2. Boxermotor

Topping DX7 Pro+ vs RME ADI-2 Pro FS R

I would vote to keep the ADI-2 Pro FS R or downgrade to the ADI-2 DAC FS or Babyface Pro FS. After trying out nearly 30 DACs, DAC/amps, and audio interfaces I'm back to RME (this time the Babyface Pro FS for the mic inputs). Nothing I've tried sounds better (IMHO) and matches the headphone power...
  3. Boxermotor

I measured 10 subwoofers.

I knew that if Amir posted this in his Reviews section that it had to be good - and it didn't disappoint! This was such a deep dive with so much to absorb that when I finally go to the end I had to remind myself that I wasn't living in my mom's basement - high nerd factor :p. Heading back to...
  4. Boxermotor

SMSL D-6s Balanced DAC Review

Sorry, I'm not a complainer...really. But with the release of the DL200 two months ago and which includes a balanced headphone amp for $10 less, isn't the D-6s obsolete from the start?
  5. Boxermotor

SMSL D-6s Balanced DAC Review

Okay, I'll throw in a complaint. I'm assuming based on the pictures that this unit's display, like all SMSL DAC's, will always revert to the sample rate reading rather than the volume (or some other user-selectable option). Yes, you adjust the volume and the display will show it for a few...
  6. Boxermotor

Audio Engineering Society 2023 Conference

Amir, you know we would all attend your session!
  7. Boxermotor

SMSL DL200 the best ever value DAC/AMP?

Power hungry for sure, but they sound so much better than anything I've listened to so far. That brings up an existential question I often ponder, "If someone offered to let me try their DCA Expanse headphones, would I do it and risk being disappointed with everything I listened to after that?"...
  8. Boxermotor

Believe me, I am protective of my hearing. But as someone who listens to a lot of classical music, some tracks can be heard at higher volumes in order to bring out the detailed soundstage. It's frustrating to max out the volume when it could still go a bit higher. Again, my Aeon Open X's...
  9. Boxermotor

Doalt, thanks for the explanation! I knew Dan Clark headphones were hard to drive in general, but the impedance number on the Aeon's clarifies why I've had trouble with the all-in-one units.
  10. Boxermotor

I've had plenty (SMSL C200, Loxjie A30, Topping EX5) that really couldn't drive my Drop Aeon Open X's well. The RME ADI-2 FS and Pro FS R, on the other hand, fantastic!
  11. Boxermotor

Drop Aeon Open X. My RME ADI-2 fs has been a wonderful and powerful amp that easily drives my headphones. I'm switching out my system and don't need the RME's equalization functions as there is DSP built into the Neumann KH 750 sub. I might just keep it if I can't find a suitable replacement...
  12. Boxermotor

I ended up returning my DL200. The headphone amp just couldn't reach the db levels I was hoping, even on high gain. Still searching for a reasonably priced balanced dac/amp solution...
  13. Boxermotor

You make a good point! However, having owned 20+ SMSL and Topping products (DACs, headphone amps, integrated amps), not one has failed so far (I realize this is not a good test sample, but that's my personal experience). But even if their life-cycles were between two and five years, it's likely...
  14. Boxermotor

I'm in the process of reconfiguring my near field listening setup and just purchased the DL200 today from Amazon ($203 with tax) to replace my RME ADI-2 FS. I can hear the heads exploding for that decision, but I'm swapping out my current sub and monitors with the Neumann KH 750 DSP and KH...
  15. Boxermotor

RME ADI-2 DAC FS - AKM Versus ESS Measurements (DAC, Preamp & Headamp)

I just ordered an RME ADI-2 FS yesterday and happened to see in a comment on Amazon there were two different chips used. My first thought was, "Oh no, I bet mine has the bad one!" It was a relief to find this thread and see that whatever chip, RME is a company that is careful to make sure their...
  16. Boxermotor

Speed Reading DAC Audio Measurements

Would this not be a predictor variable, which is used to forecast rather than having a direct correlation to the outcome (as opposed to an independent variable which can be tested)? A good or bad SINAD doesn't influence corresponding results in other areas, but may infer another variable that...
  17. Boxermotor

Would enjoy either, but would especially like to see how you evaluate speakers. I'm in the process of deciding on what to use for a near field setup and have been intrigued by your glowing endorsement of the Revel M106's (objectively and subjectively) and how your measurements indicate the...
  18. Boxermotor

Amir, thank you! This was incredibly helpful to me as someone who appreciates high fidelity sound and is learning about the equipment that can reproduce it well. Over the short time I've been a member I've come to appreciate your gifting as a teacher (imparting knowledge in a winsome way), coach...
  19. Boxermotor

Elac Debut Reference DBR-62 Speaker Review

I don't have any measuring tools at the moment. Also, I dug the Klipsch speakers out of a storage closet and haven't listened to them in a couple years. I've been using ELAC DB62's and JBL 308P MkII studio monitors. I really thought they'd beat the JBL's, so that's part of my disappointment. I...
Top Bottom